PDA

View Full Version : How to get compound/polish fling out of leather?

tnecniv
10-31-2013, 08:23 PM
I just detailed my neighbors severely neglected 1998 Honda Shadow motorcycle.

I accidently got some Optimum Hyper Compound and/or Polish on the leather seat and can't get the spots out. I've tried agitating it with a RaceGlaze brush and OPC 3:1, and also tried rubbing it out with Megs Leather Cleaner, but the spots won't come out.

Any suggestions on how to safely remove the compound/polish residue?

wdmaccord
10-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Wonder if a 10-15% IPA solution might work? Is it coated leather or naked? If it's not coated, maybe that's not a good idea. Hopefully some others will chime in.

Andr3wilson
10-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Hot wet MF. Let it soak. The compound is water soluble.

custmsprty
10-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Wonder if a 10-15% IPA solution might work? Is it coated leather or naked? If it's not coated, maybe that's not a good idea. Hopefully some others will chime in.

That'll dry the leather out. Next time remove the seat, mine comes right off my Harley.

tnecniv
10-31-2013, 09:17 PM
That'll dry the leather out. Next time remove the seat, mine comes right off my Harley.

I think the leather was quite dry already. My MF towels were getting stuck when I first tried to run them against the seat.

custmsprty
10-31-2013, 09:23 PM
I think the leather was quite dry already. My MF towels were getting stuck when I first tried to run them against the seat.

Are you sure it's actually even real leather and not synthetic? Afterall it's a Honda Shadow :coolgleam:

tnecniv
10-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Are you sure it's actually even real leather and not synthetic? Afterall it's a Honda Shadow :coolgleam:

Good question.. I can't find any details on the seat. Although I found a "replacement" seat on Amazon and it says it's synthetic leather..

custmsprty
10-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Good question.. I can't find any details on the seat. Although I found a "replacement" seat on Amazon and it says it's synthetic leather..

I ran out in my garage and pulled my custom Harley seat and turned it over and the original out of the box it's stored in, neither are leather either. So your probably not going to have to worry, it's most likely some hybrid vinyl make up. I put some nail polish remover on the stored one just to check for you then hit it with CG Silk Shine and all was fine.