PDA

View Full Version : Speedy Prep Towel Issue

Pages : [1] 2 3

KillaCam
10-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Let me begin by saying I love the speedy prep towel. I have the fine grade version and it really "speeds" up the time when claying.
However, the last two or three vehicles I have used it on it has become a huge pain. The towel sticks to itself every time I use it on a panel and it is almost impossible to separate it without fear of ripping the rubber part off the towel. I've tried it in warm and cool temperatures and it behaves the same in both.
For the price, I figured it wouldn't have this issue. Does it get worse over time?
The Nanoskin wash mitt looks better in the fact that it only has one large side instead of folding the towel into four separate sides.

hernandez.art13
10-31-2013, 08:12 PM
My speedy prep towel sticks too. I hope these aren't big issues in the long run.

I just carefully peel it back when I store it and take it out and I am ready to use it. I also give a spray when I am folding it over when I am claying a car to keep it lubricated on the areas that are folded amongst each other.

You can also give it a spray of QD when storing it.

Audios S6
10-31-2013, 08:16 PM
I've used my fine grade about two dozen times over the course of a year. It has stuck together since day 1. I have not found it to get worse, nor do I fear the rubber peeling off. But I will be paying closer attention now.

How often and in what manner do you clean the towel? Maybe a strong APC is degrading the rubber? Or maybe it needs to be broken it again on glass?

af90
10-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Are you rinsing it off prior to using it? The times I've had it happen are when it's hot outside and the towel is dry. Try to ensure the panel is cool and there is plenty of clay lube. But I haven't noticed any issues with it sticking or ripping off.

The only time I've ever had it happen was the panel was just too hot so it can happen, but not due to it sticking to itself.

ShaunD
10-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Fold it in half so that MF touches itself and store it in a clean grocery bag after spritzing some lube in the bag. To get the rubber to release from itself just soak it in cold water and or spritz some lube on it and slowly pull from two corners. Don't worry, the rubber may stick to itself, but it's not going to pull off the towel.

KillaCam
10-31-2013, 08:38 PM
It just feels like it sticks together way worse than it used to. I've followed the directions, broken it in on the glass, always run warm water over it after use, etc. I never store it folded onto itself, I always lay it flat with the rubber facing up in my microfiber drawer. I guess I'll suck it up until it rips off from the microfiber lol.

I never use apc to clean it and always lubricate it before I fold it in hopes that the rubber won't stick together. Doesn't seem to help. It just seemed a lot more pliable a year ago when I first purchased it.

Pureshine
11-01-2013, 01:34 AM
I have the mitt works better in my opinion and I have done 30 cars and still going strong.

KillaCam
12-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Just a little update..
After doing a little research, I found that the manufacturer does not recommend using soap and water as a lubricant. It does not list these directions on autogeek's website, I found them on Autoality.
I'm not sure if they don't recommend using soap and water because it will potentially mar the surface, or that it might break down the rubber and make it stick together badly which is the problem I'm having. I've been using it with soapy water as a lubricant.
I wish autogeek listed these instructions on their site before I purchased it.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Just a little update..
After doing a little research, I found that the manufacturer does not recommend using soap and water as a lubricant. It does not list these directions on autogeek's website, I found them on Autoality.
I'm not sure if they don't recommend using soap and water because it will potentially mar the surface, or that it might break down the rubber and make it stick together badly which is the problem I'm having. I've been using it with soapy water as a lubricant.
I wish autogeek listed these instructions on their site before I purchased it.

Speedy prep towel is made by nano skin.

I think it's going to depend on the properties of the soap to whether or not it degrades the towel or causes the issues you are having, I'm sure there are safe soaps and non-safe soaps and hopefully someone will know which products are safe.

Not all clay lube is the same so it doesn't make sense (to me) that all clay lubes would be considered equally safe.

KillaCam
12-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Speedy prep towel is made by nano skin.

I think it's going to depend on the properties of the soap to whether or not it degrades the towel or causes the issues you are having, I'm sure there are safe soaps and non-safe soaps and hopefully someone will know which products are safe.

Not all clay lube is the same so it doesn't make sense (to me) that all clay lubes would be considered equally safe.

Speedy prep is made by SM Arnold..
I'm not sure of the exact reasons behind it but soapy water is not the same as clay lube at all so this is the only explanation for my problem. I didn't have the issue until I started using soapy water as lube because it cuts my claying time down even more.

Klasse Act
12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I recently bought this towel on the Black Friday special and its due here on Monday, not that I'll be using it anytime soon, LOL! Now I thought I'd be using rinseless wash made up as clay lube to use in conjunction with this towel, does this work?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
12-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Speedy prep is made by SM Arnold..
I'm not sure of the exact reasons behind it but soapy water is not the same as clay lube at all so this is the only explanation for my problem. I didn't have the issue until I started using soapy water as lube because it cuts my claying time down even more.

But is it the type of soap you're using or is it all soaps. Not all soaps are the same so I would think it would be a certain chemical or property of the soap that would negatively effect the towel.

Think about ONR, it can be used as several different products based on dilution, it's a "soap" for rinse less wash and a claylube at another dilution. I think there is more to the issue than just blanketing all soaps as adversely effecting the towel.

Hoytman
12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
I have had the same issue with the Hi-Tech Clay sponge block. It was completely dry, as in sitting on a shelf to dry for 2 weeks. I then put it the plastic bag it came in for storage.

Somehow I ripped that storage bad while in storage, so I left the dry sponge out and placed it in a box. While in that box a plastic bottle got up against it and stuck to the rubber on the sponge. When I removed the sponge from the bottle a piece of the rubber stuck to the bottle.

Meticulous-Detail
12-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I have speedy prep towel and nano skin mitt. Use Meg's LT with speedy prep and CG CWG with nano skin. Never had any issues. I prefer the nano skin.

KillaCam
12-14-2013, 09:24 PM
But is it the type of soap you're using or is it all soaps. Not all soaps are the same so I would think it would be a certain chemical or property of the soap that would negatively effect the towel.

Think about ONR, it can be used as several different products based on dilution, it's a "soap" for rinse less wash and a claylube at another dilution. I think there is more to the issue than just blanketing all soaps as adversely effecting the towel.

I would say a lot of soaps are similar to other soaps just like a lot of quick detailers are similar to each other. I'm just wondering if using the soap is somehow drying out the towel in a sense. I guess the only way to find out is to contact SM Arnold.