PDA

View Full Version : I need a helper

Pages : [1] 2

stilltipping3
10-31-2013, 08:04 PM
How would you guys go about training another person as I am getting to busy to keep up?

Audios S6
10-31-2013, 08:25 PM
I would worry more about finding the right person. Your not going to be able to teach someone to work to your standards unless they really want to learn from you.

I think your best bet is to find someone with minimal experience that is really interested. Start them doing basics like vacuuming and proportioning chemicals, setting up and tearing down equipment. Work them up to washing, claying and taping trim. When you have enough confidence, hand them a polisher to try on their own car

custmsprty
10-31-2013, 08:49 PM
How would you guys go about training another person as I am getting to busy to keep up?

To busy to keep up, I would start by taking the higher paying jobs first and referring the lower paying ones to someone else before jeopardizing your rep with a contract detailer or employee.

cardaddy
10-31-2013, 10:22 PM
To busy to keep up, I would start by taking the higher paying jobs first and referring the lower paying ones to someone else before jeopardizing your rep with a contract detailer or employee.

:iagree:with :whs:

Seriously, if you are doing well paying jobs then work on your scheduling. People are coming to you because they like what you are doing, and seem to be willing to pay for your services.

Now if you have a paint correction from one customer and a wash from another you might start to train someone to do the lesser jobs.

Two drastically different trains of thought there though. Some would say get someone young, dumb and hungry. Teach him how to get smart and well fed. In the meantime you'll find that teaching him will be more work than not having him there but in the long run it'll pay off.

Others would say find someone that already has some skill, watch him and see what he knows. You can build on that! Having someone that has decent skill will free you up to where you can actually get something done. Do NOT however just leave him there to do all the "heavy lifting" / "grunt work" and think you can't teach him something and work with him as you BOTH work towards completion of a job.

Either way, taking someone on is BIG WORK. It will at some point pay off, but with winter coming on you might be better off to focus on just those well paying jobs and build your business with clients that would rather wait for you and pay well for that wait than those that are wondering how quickly you can be done. Just thinking out loud.......

Pureshine
10-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Don't! I have been thinking about hiring someone to but then I remember its my name on the business so it will never happen. Most people don't care as much as you do so if you do hire someone good luck with it.

stilltipping3
11-01-2013, 04:08 AM

I already do that, but I would like to do more cars now!

stilltipping3
11-01-2013, 04:09 AM
I would worry more about finding the right person. Your not going to be able to teach someone to work to your standards unless they really want to learn from you.

I think your best bet is to find someone with minimal experience that is really interested. Start them doing basics like vacuuming and proportioning chemicals, setting up and tearing down equipment. Work them up to washing, claying and taping trim. When you have enough confidence, hand them a polisher to try on their own car

This sounds good. Thanks

stilltipping3
11-01-2013, 04:11 AM

Seriously, if you are doing well paying jobs then work on your scheduling. People are coming to you because they like what you are doing, and seem to be willing to pay for your services.

Now if you have a paint correction from one customer and a wash from another you might start to train someone to do the lesser jobs.

Two drastically different trains of thought there though. Some would say get someone young, dumb and hungry. Teach him how to get smart and well fed. In the meantime you'll find that teaching him will be more work than not having him there but in the long run it'll pay off.

Others would say find someone that already has some skill, watch him and see what he knows. You can build on that! Having someone that has decent skill will free you up to where you can actually get something done. Do NOT however just leave him there to do all the "heavy lifting" / "grunt work" and think you can't teach him something and work with him as you BOTH work towards completion of a job.

Either way, taking someone on is BIG WORK. It will at some point pay off, but with winter coming on you might be better off to focus on just those well paying jobs and build your business with clients that would rather wait for you and pay well for that wait than those that are wondering how quickly you can be done. Just thinking out loud.......

I don't do car washes on their own. These people go to my buddy who sends me the tougher jobs.

tuscarora dave
11-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Get someone young, dumb and hungry. Teach him how to get smart.
This has been a tough one for me. I've tried out a good number of guys like this and find that young and dumb just don't cut it unless you have really grungy work for them or heavy lifting jobs etc. You can rarely take your eyes off of them for even a second no matter how willing they are to work. The second you do you'll be digging deep into your wallet (either in time or money) to fix dumb mistakes they make despite your prior warnings not to do them.:doh:

IME you need to micro manage these types and have them sweep already clean floors from time to time or you just can't get your own work done. To just have them do unimportant chores don't work because every single step is in preparation for the next step to follow, so all steps are important. You can tell them this 100 times over and they just don't get it.

Old and dumb usually, in my experience works out better because there's a bit of natural wisdom at work in these guys.

Very rarely can you teach a dumb dog to do smart things. You just associate "this with that" and through consistent repetition hopefully they'll catch on.

Call me negative and judgmental now....but...revisit this comment after you've tried out a dozen or so young, dumb but eager to work individuals, and tell me what you think then.

Young and smart already have great careers or aren't willing to work for what you can afford to pay them and still be profitable, or just aren't willing to get down to our level of getting dirty to get the job done.

Others would say find someone that already has some skill, watch him and see what he knows. You can build on that! .
These types......Oh my.......You typically have to completely break these guys....Just like breaking a wild horse...Completely rid them of anything they think they know and retrain them to do things the way you need them to be done.

You're business will suffer through more mistakes with these guys than if you just invest your time in directing the young and dumb ones. Old habits are just too hard to break.

There's the recipe for cultivating a possible candidate.

Bates Detailing
11-01-2013, 07:18 AM
It is tough but doable to find good helpers that want to learn. I had ZERO good employees from Craigslist.... ZERO! All of the good one's we had were from word of mouth from clients and/or friends. I can go on and on - but stopping at don't hire from Craigslist lol.

GenesisCoupe
11-01-2013, 07:30 AM
When i first started in 2008 i had a friend help with with the cleaning part of detailing, such as vacuum, wipe down interior, windows and wheels while i took care of washing, clay, correction, sealant/wax.

Try to get a friend to help you, pay them with cash, just be sure that they are passionate with keeping cars "clean".

I used to pay my friend $20 an hour for his help :/

jankerson
11-01-2013, 07:45 AM
When i first started in 2008 i had a friend help with with the cleaning part of detailing, such as vacuum, wipe down interior, windows and wheels while i took care of washing, clay, correction, sealant/wax.

Try to get a friend to help you, pay them with cash, just be sure that they are passionate with keeping cars "clean".

I used to pay my friend $20 an hour for his help :/

That's likely the best bet right there. :xyxthumbs:

jankerson
11-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Yes, that is smart...

If one hires a grunt that's what they will get, a grunt..... And they just won't care.....

Getting someone that already has some skill and then building off of that is much better really.

You can bring someone up to the level they need to be pretty fast if they already have some skill to build off of...

And they won't feel like a slave (I can think of another word) in the process so they will care more about what they are doing in the end.

And it's possible the one might even learn something from them also, if they already have skills.

jankerson
11-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Some other thoughts.

I remember way back when I 1st started detailing, I already had skills before and also power equipment skills from other field that I had worked in.

This was back in the days of doing it by hand and rotary buffers.

I worked with a guy helping him out, I knew him already and he asked me if I wanted to help out.

So I helped him a few days a week and before long I was doing most of the paint correction while he was doing the interiors and then we would both finish up by waxing in the end. It worked out that way because I already had experience that could be built on.

He was better at doing the interiors while I was better at running the Buffer so it worked out. It really wasn't much of a learning curve for me transferring from what I was doing before to paint.

But then that was like 25 years ago. :D

FUNX650
11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Sooner or later, in order to continually grow the Business...
Don't most Businesspersons decide whether they want to eventually "run the business-end of the Business",
instead of also having to "do the work of the Business"...as well?

Detailing vehicles is often said to fit into the category of: Hard Physical Work.
Sure everyone has different levels of physicality.
But, unless they have unfailing super-human powers, most folks will eventually fall prey to the:
'onset of age-encroachment' and the lessening of their prior physical abilities.
But I digress.

While one person attempting to run both ends of a Business can be successful...You have proven this to be true!!:
You are now faced with the possibility of having to turn prospective clients away---the growth of the Business has been
somewhat shunted, with the lack of "extra" future income effected.

Most Businesses, large or small, can't always depend on high-falutin clients to carry the mail.
The less hoity-toity, less genteel among the general populace (that are also potential clients)...
may become very appealing (even necessary) at various growth-stages of the Business.

If you have a Business, upon which your total household income is dependent (at least until: 'a retirement' from the Business occurs),
growth in the form of 'taking on' employees to assist in "doing the work of the Business" until they are fully trained and qualified
to also own "The Standards" that has been set by you---The Owner---is a most paramount decision!!

When a Businessperson, that is the sole owner/operator of the Business, can take on employees that meet the above Standards'-criteria:
The Business owner may very well indeed find it facilitates the focusing on the ownership of the Business.

All of the above are, of course, just my opinions.
They may, or may not, be of assistance in your quest of finding helpers.

:)

Bob