PDA

View Full Version : Best bulk soap for semi trucks?

Pages : [1] 2 3

KyleP
10-31-2013, 02:28 PM
My company starts washing semis this weekend. We don't reallt have any capital built up yet so everything is out of our own pockets. We need a bulk soap that can wash at least 50 trucks and be cheap. A place recommened purple power degreaser but I don't think that will be good just as a soap right? Seems like it would be harsh on the paint? Any recommendations? Something that will be at a local walmart/home depot, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
10-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Something that will be at a local walmart/home depot, etc.

If you find said product, let me know :dblthumb2:

David at LC Pads
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Yeah purple power is a pretty harsh degreaser if I remember. It has been some time since I've used it. I wouldn't wash with it, but that's me

Vegas Transplant
10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
I always add Zep Purple or Purple Power to soap dilution UNLESS polished aluminum is at risk, or especially if the aluminum is going to be blinged.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2078/2002_k-whopper_re2.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64046)

T-2

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1884/nevrdull_sc_re4.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64567)

FreightShaker

HateSwirls
10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
Pardon me but if you can't afford products to detail the 50 trucks than you can't afford to take on such a large task, I mean we're only talking about soap, right?
A few gallons go CG'S Maxi-Suds should do it, very little cost considering how much profit you'll make.
Whatever you do don't use Purple Power to wash those trucks, you could end up in court and ordered to foot the bill to repaint the rigs.

Vegas Transplant
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Whatever you do don't use Purple Power to wash those trucks, you could end up in court and ordered to foot the bill to repaint the rigs.

Why not?
What's with the repaint remark?

I have 1477 pictures on my iPhone 3. All Owner Operator vehicles, or company truck driver solicited detail. At least 200 or so are of before/after class 8 vehicles washed with Zep soap and Zep Purple mix, or with Purple Power when I missed the jobber when I went out of town.

I have never had an incident using Purple anything. But I know what it will do to polished aluminum. If the aluminum is not blinged, just a dull grey, then you will have no issue at all.

HateSwirls
10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
I guess it's because I had a bad experience using Purple Power.
Once I diluted it to clean my engine, I sprayed it and let it dwell some, after I washed it and it was dry all the plastic parts under the hood were damaged.
We're talking about paint?
Not the engine of the rigs?

Besides that's not what my point was, my point was if one has a job to detail 50 semi's should just buy the right soap, I mean there's a lot of profit in such a job as the OP has lined up.

Why not?
What's with the repaint remark?

I
have 1477 pictures on my iPhone 3. All Owner Operator vehicles, or company truck driver solicited detail. At least 200 or so are of before/after class 8 vehicles washed with Zep soap and Zep Purple mix, or with Purple Power when I missed the jobber when I went out of town.

I have never had an incident using Purple anything. But I know what it will do to polished aluminum. If the aluminum is not blinged, just a dull grey, then you will have no issue at all.

Vegas Transplant
10-31-2013, 04:55 PM
I agree.
I've been following the OP's posts for a while now.
Waiting for his class 8 debut thread.
Why did you wait til the last minute OP?
Hope that you don't run into one on your first day that's had a rear seal, tranny, fuel, oil, etc., leak. Gonna really mess up your day.

Besides that's not what my point was, my point was if one has a job to detail 50 semi's should just buy the right soap, I mean there's a lot of profit in such a job as the OP has lined up.

HateSwirls
10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Why did I wait until the last minute ?
Simple, I just read it.
Use what you wish, I'm just giving my 2 cents worth.

The OP was asking about a soap, he too thought using such a degreaser could be too harsh.

Btw. He didn't mention anything about busted seals!!!!

I agree.
I've been following the OP's posts for a while now.
Waiting for his class 8 debut.
Why did you wait til the last minute?
Hope that you don't run into one on your first day that's had a rear seal, tranny, fuel, oil, etc., leak. Gonna really mess up your day.

HateSwirls
10-31-2013, 05:08 PM
OP

If you need a cheap but good degreaser go to your local Dollar Tree, there you'll find Totally Awesome APC, I've used it on my clear coated wheels without any problems, best part is it only cost $1.00 per bottle, mix it however you think you need the strength.

My company starts washing semis this weekend. We don't reallt have any capital built up yet so everything is out of our own pockets. We need a bulk soap that can wash at least 50 trucks and be cheap. A place recommened purple power degreaser but I don't think that will be good just as a soap right? Seems like it would be harsh on the paint? Any recommendations? Something that will be at a local walmart/home depot, etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

Vegas Transplant
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Busted/leaking seals, fuel runs on the tanks (lacquered looking heavy stains), heavily sooted cabs, sleepers, and fairings are the norm when fleet washing. Especially 50 semi-trucks.

Just for today...my name is Bennet ~ and I ain't in it... :bolt:

Back to your regularly scheduled thread :autowash: I'm out.

BlackHawk
10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
Why did I wait until the last minute ?
Simple, I just read it.
Use what you wish, I'm just giving my 2 cents worth.

The OP was asking about a soap, he too thought using such a degreaser could be too harsh.

Btw. He didn't mention anything about busted seals!!!!

i dont think you read the message right. Its wasnt meant towards you...

HateSwirls
10-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for clarifying :dblthumb2:

i dont think you read the message right. Its wasnt meant towards you...

Hoytman
10-31-2013, 06:56 PM
There is more than one type of purple power to use. One isn't recommended by the company for use on paint...and that's the industrial type. Not only does it say so (that it's not to be used on paint) on the package I was told so by a rep of the company.

That's not to say it can't be diluted enough to be safe as virtually any product can be diluted enough. However...

...not only will I attest to the experiences that Vegas has cleaning big mother truckers...he spent 19 years driving them. The point...if he says he uses purple power (regardless of version) it might be wise to ask him which one and a what dilution. As for a company recommendation...well they are just that...a recommendation.

I usually recommend against using Purple Power Industrial on Automotive paint simply because I know that it can eat right through the factory aluminum seal on the container, plus I try to follow labels and manufacturers suggestions. However (once again), I don't have the experience cleaning big rigs like Vegas does. I've spent a good amount of time behind the wheel of them myself though. I said all that to say this...big rig paint is far tougher than auto paint in my experience. Think about it...that average truck driver puts more miles in his rig in one year than most auto's will see in a lifetime...so naturally everything from the rubber to the paint is built for that kind of abuse.

If you're looking for a soap that might fit what you're wanting to do...save money by being economical, yet do a good job...then you might take a look at Malco. Malco offers many 'fleet strength' soaps and degreasers...but a good suggestion from an experienced forum member will go a long way in helping you as well.

Hope that helps.

VP Mark
10-31-2013, 07:39 PM
I do a commercial fleet account. 10 semi's every two weeks. Concrete trucks. The semi's get washed and the trailers get rinsed off with the pressure washer.

I use 3D pink car soap for the washing, APC+ in a pressure sprayer to pre soak the bugs on the front bumpers. Works fine for me.

Take in mind though, neither my client or I are looking for perfection in any way. He basically wants them to look "clean", and I charge him accordingly.