PDA

View Full Version : Pro Detailer in Boca Raton area?

Mike Phillips
10-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Pro Detailer in Boca Raton area? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/72437-pro-detailer-boca-raton-area.html)

I had a guy call me with a 2006 Lexus looking for a full paint correction detail in Boca Ratan...

Any takers?

:)

luv a shine
10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
I will travel

Mike Phillips
10-31-2013, 12:44 PM
I will travel

I'll PM you his name and number.

I'd take a copy of my VIF and go through it with him so everyone is on the same page.

Mike Phillips VIF or Vehicle Inspection Form (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/62084-mike-phillips-vif-vehicle-inspection-form.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
10-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Just talked to the guy on the phone, he wanted rock chips repaired and then buffed.

In his voice mail he only mentioned getting the car buffed. He asked me what was involved in doing rock chip repair so I have him the two popular options and he chose to use his own touch-up paint and forgo getting the car detailed.

This was probably a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, I should have called the guy first just kind of busy today...

luv a shine
10-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Anytime

attaboydetail
11-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Hey Mike!

What does it take to be considered a pro detailer as far as you're concerned. I do great work and I'm in the Boca Raton area. I'm not deep into the "theory" of the industry, but I specialize in what I believe you refer to as- Production Detailing. I do this as a side gig and have a full time job, so I take business as I am able to. What are your thoughts?

Mike Phillips
11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey Mike!

What does it take to be considered a pro detailer as far as you're concerned. I do great work and I'm in the Boca Raton area. I'm not deep into the "theory" of the industry, but I specialize in what I believe you refer to as- Production Detailing. I do this as a side gig and have a full time job, so I take business as I am able to. What are your thoughts?

Hi Rich,

Great question, sorry I just now found your reply to this thread.

Real quick because I have a lot on my plate post-SEMA,

A Pro Detailer to me is someone that knows what they are doing. Most important, they are UP TO DATE with all the newest and BEST tools, pads, products and techniques for doing the job right the first time.

As it relates to paint, this would mean knowing what pads, products, tools and techniques are needed to remove swirls without leaving any behind.

I would not consider someone using old school techniques of a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a compound or a polish to "finish out" up to date.

One thing you will always find me posting to the forum is this, in fact I have an article on it...

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/56643-detailers-hang-out-discussion-forums-know-more-than-detailers-don-t.html)

And the reason why is because it's forums like AGO where all the new products, technology and techniques break.

If a person waits for a wagon jobber to call on their shop and show them something they will be behind the curve. It's on forums where all the new info breaks first. No where else.

This applies if you're an active member or a lurker. While at the time of my reply you only have 5 posts on this forum that doesn't mean you haven't been a lurker for years staying up on all the new stuff.

But with only 5 posts on our forum it's hard for myself or anyone else to have a good feel for your knowledge, experience or quality of work.

It's easier to tell the knowledge, experience and quality of work for a detailer that does post often to our forum and shares his work, primarily,

Descriptions and pictures of the before condition of a car - exterior or interior.

Descriptions and pictures of the process, products and techniques they used to restore the interior or exterior of the car.

Pictures showing the "after" condition or what I call the beauty shots.

Someone that develops a long or large posting history on a forum like AGO shows the world who they are and what they can do. To me, that's the benefit of being an active member on any detailing forum. People get to know you. You build a reputation that can be know.

So I don't define a Pro by some set in stone criteria but by what I can validate that the person in question knows and has proven can do.

Walking the walk...

Good question, thank you for asking...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
11-13-2013, 12:56 PM
but I specialize in what I believe you refer to as- Production Detailing.

I do this as a side gig and have a full time job, so I take business as I am able to. What are your thoughts?

There's nothing wrong with production detailing. In fact I do production detailing when its right for the customer.

I have an article that teaches detailers to match their services to their customer and sometimes production type detailing is the best match.

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/27827-few-tips-starting-part-time-detailing-business.html)
Match your services to your customer

That said, production detailing doesn't mean leaving swirls in someone's paint job. For example the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System I was and is targeted at doing professional production detailing with a focus on removing swirls, not inflicting swirls.

I would say someone doing production detailing the right way is a Pro Detailer.

Mike Phillips
11-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Popular topic in my PM's lately...

As of today, I've sent three people the link to this thread to show them an example of how to,

Start a thread with the correct "Title" to help themselves get a good Pro Detailer.

Seriously... chances are very good we have qualified people in the area you live, it's just a matter of getting a hold of them.

Also, look through this thread,

Professional Detailers list (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/22805-professional-detailers-list.html)

Flash Gordon
11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Just talked to the guy on the phone, he wanted rock chips repaired and then buffed.

In his voice mail he only mentioned getting the car buffed. He asked me what was involved in doing rock chip repair so I have him the two popular options and he chose to use his own touch-up paint and forgo getting the car detailed.

This was probably a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, I should have called the guy first just kind of busy today...

:iagree: