PDA

View Full Version : perfect boat kit?

Andrew@ToyMotorsports
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Hey guys I've been thinking of detailing boats since I live right on the coast I'm surrounded by marinas. I worked for a local marina back when I was 15 up until the place closed when I was 18. I detailed boats and painted boat bottoms. But I never learned to buff while I worked there I was only allowed to clean top side and hand wax the hull if it didn't need to be polished. So being that I'm looking to get back into this I know what I need for top side, cabin, and wax. What I don't know is what rotary setup I should have I.e. what pads I should have and which compounds and polishes I should have to go along with it. Until I get threw the first few jobs I do not have the money to go crazy and buy top of the line stuff. I was thinking of getting a rotary buffer at harbor freight or borrowing one from a friend. But any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

VP Mark
10-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey guys I've been thinking of detailing boats since I live right on the coast I'm surrounded by marinas. I worked for a local marina back when I was 15 up until the place closed when I was 18. I detailed boats and painted boat bottoms. But I never learned to buff while I worked there I was only allowed to clean top side and hand wax the hull if it didn't need to be polished. So being that I'm looking to get back into this I know what I need for top side, cabin, and wax. What I don't know is what rotary setup I should have I.e. what pads I should have and which compounds and polishes I should have to go along with it. Until I get threw the first few jobs I do not have the money to go crazy and buy top of the line stuff. I was thinking of getting a rotary buffer at harbor freight or borrowing one from a friend. But any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

How serious are you about this? If you are looking to commit to a long term serious business I have a used rotary I will give you for the cost of shipping. Pm me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

primo spaghetti
10-31-2013, 07:20 PM
i too got my start on boats...million dollar yachts at a company called neptunus anyhow we used to bottom kote boats too...of course the junior guy always got that awful job! me! haha

we also used an incredible compound and polish called Aquabuff 1000 and 2000. they are fantastic products designed to work exclusively with a rotary polisher. there will be nothing wrong with the harbour freight machine to start 9not sure how ling it will live) but id look to get a nice makita (mine is awesome and many years old) or even the desalt. if you have a few bucks extra to burn, you can't beat the quality of the flex.

you are also going to want to invest in wool pads for gelcoat. others will tell you that you can get by with foam. I've never used anything other than wool in 20 plus years on gel. i couldn't be happier with aqua buff and wool combo on a rotary (except for some of the older orange coloured mages compounds MG1 and such we used to use). the aqua buff is nice too because it is white and won't be so noticeable in the porosity.