PDA

View Full Version : Still confused about LSP stripping...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Challynger
10-29-2013, 09:09 PM
I watched Larry at Ammo use a Dawn wash, and assumed that was the standard method, until I started reading AG threads on the issue saying Dawn washes are ineffective at removing old LSPs. After reading several old threads, I'm even more confused than when I started.

Is Dawn really ineffective at the task? What IS the best way to remove previous wax/sealant before applying fresh layers? IPA wipedown? Will an IPA wipedown dull the finish? I don't plan on polishing afterwards, just want to apply fresh sealant for the winter. What about a non-abrasive cleaner/polish (such as BF Gloss-enhancing polish)??? :help:

swanicyouth
10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Dawn will remove most carnauba waxes and hybrids IME. Polymer sealants are not so easily removed.

spiralout462
10-29-2013, 09:16 PM
A chemical polish/paint cleaner should do a thorough job if you don't want to polish.

cleanmycorolla
10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
I use paint cleaners to strip sealants. Strong soaps for wax often help for nubas

Detailing by M
10-29-2013, 10:30 PM
why do you want to strip?
and don't use dawn it will screw up your trim and your car.
I never understand why people do this. no reason what so ever.

Gsrjake
10-29-2013, 11:18 PM
I did a test and used dawn on my car with two layers of Klasse SG and OCW car held up pretty good still with beading

hernandez.art13
10-29-2013, 11:24 PM
+ 1 ^

Stripping of everything, especially with Dawn soap seems way to aggressive. Maybe for a coating but besides that like I said, it seems really aggressive.

Idk :dunno: I am probably wrong

glen e
10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
in 15 years I've never had a problem with dawn on any surface/part of the car when I'm stripping......I always polish anyway so it's something I don't care to get OCD about...

Pureshine
10-29-2013, 11:59 PM
You should never use straight down thats for sure but if you mix it its fine doesn't hurt anything.

PiPUK
10-30-2013, 04:44 AM
I am probably responsible for much of the questioning of supposed stripping techniques.

If you are talking about the had washing up liquid Dawn (viscous surfactanty liquid), then I strongly question anyone saying that it strips LSP. My basis? Because I have not found a single washing up liquid (Fairy is our 'standard' in the UK, we don't have Dawn) which actually strips anything. This covers everything from spray wax through to polymer sealants. What I have found repeatedly is that these product leave surfactant films which hide the beading/sheeting of many LSPs. This is worst with waxes which I believe is the reason people think that waxes are so prone. Keep in mind that this very character is just what Dawn is designed to do - it leaves films which ensure that water does not spot and leave marks.

IPA is also not a solution to most LSPs. If you look at the recent thread on 'super polishes' you will see that there are experienced detailers concurring. IPA will often fail to remove some of the fillers in the polishes, it seems a bit of a stretch to think it will reliably remove LSPs which are designed to be durable.

Briefly, my experience is built around testing of products we formulate. As such, I repeatedly apply and strip LSPs. Surfactant washing (like Dawn), alkaline washing (like APCs) and IPA washing are routinely ineffective against any half decent LSP (beyond potentially hiding them under a surfactant film) - we do not even bother with these as they are just a waste of time. Non-polar solvent products (like mineral spirits, but typically requiring something more potent) are definitely more effective - I will often use something along these lines as a start point. If the LSP is fresh, a single hit will often fail but it is worth a go. For me, the only guaranteed way of getting a good LSP off is with an abrasive of some kind.

YMMV and obviously I am talking about different LSPs than most are actually using but, as I have stated before, if your LSP really is as fragile as some people imply with their stripping methods, maybe it is time to look to a better LSP.

jpegs13
10-30-2013, 05:01 AM
This stuff is easy to use and works great. I'm not a fan of using Dawn to remove old wax, it's too harsh
Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

PiPUK
10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
This stuff is easy to use and works great. I'm not a fan of using Dawn to remove old wax, it's too harsh
Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

Dawn, the hand dish wash liquid? As a generic question as many of you guys are saying it... what is so harsh about Dawn?

cleanmycorolla
10-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Dawn, the hand dish wash liquid? As a generic question as many of you guys are saying it... what is so harsh about Dawn?

I've never done a Dawn wash, only because well, I wouldnt use CG Citrus Wash and Gloss or Mr Pink on my dishes, so why use dish soap on my car! :xyxthumbs:

c8n
10-30-2013, 09:31 AM
why do you want to strip?
and don't use dawn it will screw up your trim and your car.
I never understand why people do this. no reason what so ever.

Well... if one wants to apply a different wax than the one already on the paint, and the new wax calls for a clean finish for proper bonding, one would want to strip.

This is why I still have unopened samples of wax. Too lazy to strip the paint.

Gsrjake
10-30-2013, 09:36 AM
I think paint cleaners, paint inspections and so on are too expensive imo. I have done so many cars it would cost way to much money to keep buying "brand name" strippers, paint inspection cleaners, etc. I'll stick to dawn and IPA