PDA

View Full Version : The bottom of the car (line where the door ends)

stilltipping3
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Hello, I was wondering if any1 else hates the bottom of the cars where the bottom of the door meets the car again. I am always leery of dirt being down there and getting on my pads even though I have washed the car several times, clayed and used wiped it with a QD then an IPA mix. I usually stay away from this area due to picking up any particles and re-swirling the upper panels with dirt particles. Do you guys have this phobia or is it just me?

rwright
10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Thoroughly clean the door jambs including the bottom of the door. Most cars have a weatherstrip so make sure you move it to clean around it. Once this area is cleaned move to the outside. Degrease the rocker panel with Stoner's Tarminator, P21S Total Auto Wash (my favorite), Optimum Power Clean, CG Bug & Tar Wash, CarPro Tar X, or something similar to those. Multiple wipes may be necessary. Finally, dedicate pads to this area only. :)

CDot
10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Hello, I was wondering if any1 else hates the bottom of the cars where the bottom of the door meets the car again. I am always leery of dirt being down there and getting on my pads even though I have washed the car several times, clayed and used wiped it with a QD then an IPA mix. I usually stay away from this area due to picking up any particles and re-swirling the upper panels with dirt particles. Do you guys have this phobia or is it just me?

I got that phobia too...hate it

allenk4
10-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Much of the trim on my vehicle is held on with basic Christmas Tree fasteners or can be just popped off.

These kits are available everywhere, except AGO?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Trim_Removal_Kit.jpg

Pureshine
10-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Much of the trim on my vehicle is held on with basic Christmas Tree fasteners or can be just popped off.

These kits are available everywhere, except AGO?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Trim_Removal_Kit.jpg

Not a good idea taking trim off a customers car ever. Your car go ahead but not worth the chance of braking the trim or a clip.

SeaJay's
10-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I always clean all the jambs very well, and blow it all out with the metro blaster before polishing. never had an issue.

I would say if your going to be doing this for a living or even a regular basis it's not a good idea to skip that area. Just ensure it's very clean prior to polishing.

Audios S6
10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
I do fear the rocker panels and any beltline trim. Mostly because this is where grit builds up. If you are polishing below the beltline trim, grit from behind the trim can get dislodged by the vibration of a DA then drop right into your pad. Similar for rocker panels.

Do a very thorough job of cleaning those areas, flush them well with pressurized water and blow them out well with forced air. Then pay close attention while you are working with your DA.

statusdetailing
10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
I alway leave the rocker panels rear and front bumpers for last, after I have polished the rest of the car.

You have to clean these areas very well. These are areas that are missed by production shops and is imo a big thing that separates production guys and high end guys. If I'm being paid correctly, for one of my high end details, I clean and polish the lower areas as thoroughly as any other area of the car.

As someone else mentioned, citrus cleaners work very well for these areas. I have a citrus cleaner that I dilute around 4:1 for regular pretreatment of lower panels. If there is heavy tar I can use it straight, and it works as well or better than tarminator.

Citrus cleaners tend to be hard on plastic if left to dwell, so be careful on those areas.

allenk4
10-30-2013, 05:17 PM
I only pull the trim in selected areas of my own car

It does make me feel like I am doing a Concours Level Detail