PDA

View Full Version : Question for the mobile guys

Pages : [1] 2

DedhamDetail
10-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Hey my name is David, am to posting here buy have been browsing for advice for a while. I had a customer call me today asking if I did mobile detailing. She wanted a interior cleaning only so I though yes I can do that. Except I dont know how i can vac her car? Lol I have a location and am slow right now so I am wondering if you guys have any idea. Shes not willing to drive and there is no outlet at her apartment complex to plug in. Thanks in advance

Profits
10-29-2013, 04:27 PM
You might ask if you can come pick up her car, and deliver it when you're finished.

Lanceb028
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
a small generator should work. no?

Pureshine
10-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Before you drive a customers car make sure your insured for it.

thebamboo23
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
then you dont have a job to do. simple as that.. you have a shop for a reason. is this a home based shop or lease/rent shop?

i understand youre slow with business but you cant go chasing everyone who gives you a call. market/network and direct more customers to your shop

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
10-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I would pass. Sounds like you'll be spending more money in new equipment or insurance, than you would make on the job.

Vegas Transplant
10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
...simple as that..

:dblthumb2: And how :dblthumb2:
Well said.

Also, since you've never seen it, what if it calls for other interior detailing equipment other than a vac? Or is too far gone for you to comfortably work with?

Romans5.8
10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
^ These guys are pros, and it sounds like they have sound advice.

BUT; just to throw it out there, power inverters have come a long way. A good quality, high output power inverter can do everything a small generator can do without all the noise, or dealing with storing it and fuel inside your car or van. I imagine if you did this all the time, you could mount the power inverter (the ones that could drive a shop vac are pretty big and will need to be wired directly to the battery). Then just leave your car/truck/van idling and run your equipment.

DedhamDetail
10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Yea i mean she was pretty crazy on the phone and everything, she wouldnt give me any info, so i just told her to call me back later after i did some research. I have a shop that i work out of and all the supplies needed for the interior just not too sure about the vac part. I may have to pass on this one. Thanks for the advice guys.

Calendyr
10-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Well if she is crazy then I would definatelly not do it ! ;)

garyg7133
10-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Stay clear of picking up her vehicle, especially if you have not dealt with her before. If she can't bring the car to you and you don't have the gear to go to her then politely offer to drive her home if she will agree to drop the car with you and pick her up when it's done...only if you REALLY want this job though. Make sure you price in the crazy factor as well.

Detailing by M
10-30-2013, 10:18 AM
ALL CUSTOMERS ARE LIER'S!
You have no idea what her problem is.
For you to go somewhere you will need a generator, a big one not a small one, a big shop vac, a steamer and even an extractor.
With that being said I'd pass on it. Unless you want to make a rig starting today.

Euphoria64
10-31-2013, 10:09 PM
^ These guys are pros, and it sounds like they have sound advice.

BUT; just to throw it out there, power inverters have come a long way. A good quality, high output power inverter can do everything a small generator can do without all the noise, or dealing with storing it and fuel inside your car or van. I imagine if you did this all the time, you could mount the power inverter (the ones that could drive a shop vac are pretty big and will need to be wired directly to the battery). Then just leave your car/truck/van idling and run your equipment.

I did a lot of research on this subject as I was interested in an inverter over a generator. I came across conflicting findings; most instructions for inverters specifically say do not run them from your car battery, so you have a liability there. Also, if you want to power a shop vac, you're going to need a decent sized inverter, I'd say 1500-2000 running watts, and they can get pretty costly depending on where you look for one. Then you have to be very sure you get the right gauge wires for right length, otherwise you'll be putting out a fire! My situation is different than most with my mobile setup, because I'm just using my little car. If you had a van though, setting it up properly would be a little easier. I would be VERY careful setting up something like this if you don't know what you're doing exactly. It can be done though, so your best bet is to research, research, research, then build your inverter system and try it out.

Romans5.8
10-31-2013, 10:31 PM
I did a lot of research on this subject as I was interested in an inverter over a generator. I came across conflicting findings; most instructions for inverters specifically say do not run them from your car battery, so you have a liability there. Also, if you want to power a shop vac, you're going to need a decent sized inverter, I'd say 1500-2000 running watts, and they can get pretty costly depending on where you look for one. Then you have to be very sure you get the right gauge wires for right length, otherwise you'll be putting out a fire! My situation is different than most with my mobile setup, because I'm just using my little car. If you had a van though, setting it up properly would be a little easier. I would be VERY careful setting up something like this if you don't know what you're doing exactly. It can be done though, so your best bet is to research, research, research, then build your inverter system and try it out.

Absolutely!

Cost wise, if you are willing to install it yourself, I think it comes out similar to a 'good' generator. Maybe a 2-stroke harbor freight generator is cheaper, but what you are going to quickly find is that they overheat quickly and you'll have to shut them down and wait.

Some people go as crazy as installing a second alternator run to a separate battery! Most though, when installing a serious heavy duty inverter, will install a second battery in the trunk/rear of van, which is wired to the alternator directly, or in parallel to the main battery. Idling the car provides all the power you need! You are absolutely right though, you should research!

I do think though, if I was in a similar situation, I'd go the inverter route. Even a 2kw inverter is not that expensive anymore and should (depending on the vehicle) be able to be wired up right to the main battery. I've even heard of people using inverter systems off of their cars to power their houses in a power outage! Inverters are how solar electric systems in homes generally work, too. Most solar panels produce low voltage electricity. Some solar systems them store the power in batteries, and an inverter converts the power in the batteries to usable current for the home. Cool stuff!

The 'direct to battery' comment above was a little over-simplified, but the point was it would not be the cigarette lighter type. I really wouldn't pull any more than a cellphone or laptop charger through the cig lighter! (I do have a small, 150 watt inverter just for that though! I call it my universal cellphone and laptop charger! Just grab the wall charger from inside! lol)

Calendyr
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM

Car batteries are not designed to provide power over time. The way they work is they can give a huge amount of power for a very short time (start the car) afterwards the car runs off the alternator. You can run the inverter off deep cycle batteries (usually sold under marine battery type) that are designed to be discharged repeatedly over 50% of their charge and are designed to provide continous power.

If you decide to go with an inverter, you can leave your engine running while working, your alternator would serve as a generator.

Cable gauging is always important when you work with any electrical system.