PDA

View Full Version : DP Paint Coating Question

The Critic
10-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Hey gang,

Earlier tonight, I applied DP Paint Coating tonight to a vehicle.

For some unknown reason, I had decided to do all of the panels except the roof.

Upon doing the roof last, I used DP Paint Prep Polish -- which made a bit of a mess by splattering everywhere. As a result, some white "dots" of polish landed on the freshly coated panels.

I immediately wiped down all the panels with a damp MF towel in order to remove the polish residue.

Did this cause a bonding issue with the DP Paint Coating? The panels that I wiped down still feel slick...though maybe a hair less.

Thanks!

af90
10-29-2013, 02:27 AM
I doubt you removed any of it if it had already flashed and started to set. Best bet is to give it a week or so or until you wash it next and check the hydrophobic properties then.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2013, 03:23 AM
No offense OP, but this is why you start at the top and work your way down. Could have been easily avoided. Oh well, lesson learned.

hernandez.art13
10-29-2013, 04:45 AM
Unless you want to start all over. Just wait and see...

Your paint is probably protected a lot more than the rest. (Muggles) :)

The Critic
10-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Yes - the product had already flashed. This wipedown occurred about 30 min afterwards.

No offense OP, but this is why you start at the top and work your way down. Could have been easily avoided. Oh well, lesson learned.

Yeah, I know. What happened was that I was trying to get an idea of how quickly this product flashed before applying on the roof.

Also, I thought I had fixed the splatter issue ok the polish by changing to a different pad, but apparently not.

Bigbull2984
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey gang,

Earlier tonight, I applied DP Paint Coating tonight to a vehicle.

For some unknown reason, I had decided to do all of the panels except the roof.

Upon doing the roof last, I used DP Paint Prep Polish -- which made a bit of a mess by splattering everywhere. As a result, some white "dots" of polish landed on the freshly coated panels.

I immediately wiped down all the panels with a damp MF towel in order to remove the polish residue.

Did this cause a bonding issue with the DP Paint Coating? The panels that I wiped down still feel slick...though maybe a hair less.

Thanks!

It happens :buffing:

I dont think it caused any issues but you can, give it a week and give the car a good wash and reapply the coating to the whole car.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I know. What happened was that I was trying to get an idea of how quickly this product flashed before applying on the roof.

Also, I thought I had fixed the splatter issue ok the polish by changing to a different pad, but apparently not.

Glad you understood my response and didn't take offense.

Keep us updated on the durability by the affected areas of splatter.

The Critic
11-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Glad you understood my response and didn't take offense.

Keep us updated on the durability by the affected areas of splatter.

I decided to apply a 2nd coat to the hood, but the product started flashing instantaneously and the high spots were not easily removable.

Since it was getting late in the day and I needed to be finished correctly, I decided to polish out the car to remove the coating and apply a traditional sealant.

I will try DP Paint Coating on a different vehicle at some point in the future.

VP Mark
11-18-2013, 08:07 AM
You would have been fine. A product like that will only remove polishing oils, dirt, etc.. Not something as stout as a coating.