PDA

View Full Version : How to descale a steam cleaner

PRicci09
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey all,

I recently picked a steamer up on craigslist for a great price. Problem is, I don't think the previous owner used distilled water. When looking in the tank with a flashlight I can clearly see some mineral buildup. Can anyone recommend me a safe and easy way to descale the machine?

Evan.J
10-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Use CLR and DONT NOT RUN IT THROUGH THE MACHINE!

Let it sit in the tank over night then drain it.

Kacz
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I think using distilled white vinegar is the way to go.

You do this with irons and steamers for clothes and I think my McCulloch steam cleaner directs that as a way of cleaning as well if you don't use distilled water.

Romans5.8
10-28-2013, 06:47 PM

You do this with irons and steamers for clothes and I think my McCulloch steam cleaner directs that as a way of cleaning as well if you don't use distilled water.

That's what I use for the steamers I have at home. They aren't auto detail steamers but I have a floor steamer for tile floors, a handheld one with attachments I use for counters and grout and stuff like that, and a garment steamer. Using distilled water eliminates scale but it's not always available (especially with my portable garment steamer I use at hotels!). Vinegar works great!

By the way, a little vinegar in your coffee maker and in your dishwasher help out too! Keeps them flowin' more gooder!

PRicci09
10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
That's what I use for the steamers I have at home. They aren't auto detail steamers but I have a floor steamer for tile floors, a handheld one with attachments I use for counters and grout and stuff like that, and a garment steamer. Using distilled water eliminates scale but it's not always available (especially with my portable garment steamer I use at hotels!). Vinegar works great!

By the way, a little vinegar in your coffee maker and in your dishwasher help out too! Keeps them flowin' more gooder!

Thanks for the help guys. How long do you think I should let the vinegar sit in the tank? I imagine I should leave the machine off during the process.

Romans5.8
10-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys. How long do you think I should let the vinegar sit in the tank? I imagine I should leave the machine off during the process.

It shouldn't take long. I run it in my machines but they aren't car cleaning machines so I'm not sure if it's different. I just run it with the vinegar and water in it for a little bit, then drain it out and run it with just distilled water.

But again, it's a floor steamer and a couple handheld and garment steamers. Not sure if the process would be different with an auto detailing steamer. But I know the vinegar works! I imagine if it's just in the tank, you could leave a vinegar and hot water mix in there for 20 or 30 minutes then drain.

HateSwirls
10-28-2013, 07:33 PM
I run my steamer for a half hour with vinegar then drain it then fill with distilled water amd run it for 15 minutes then drain it again.
I never use water from the tap which helps prevent buildup.
Also I drain it when I'm done with it.
Four years old now without any issues.

sweatthedetails
10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
+1 for the CLR

PRicci09
10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Guys that are using CLR, are you using it at full strength or diluting it with water?

Kacz
10-28-2013, 07:42 PM
picture of directions from McCulloch Steamer Cleaner:

http://i41.tinypic.com/k00km8.png

sweatthedetails
10-28-2013, 09:33 PM
50/50 distilled water and CLR. But 100% wont hurt anything. I use this stuff in my coffee pot, its biodegradable and completely safe. let it sit over night then drain. You can really see the nasty come off. flush it out a couple of times and your ready to go. Like stated before, never run your steamer with anything but water in it.

Im sure the vinager thing works to but hey this is what CLR was designed for. The video that came with my VX 5000 said to use CLR or vinager.