PDA

View Full Version : Winter care questions

creaky
10-28-2013, 07:35 AM
I recently finished with three layers of Ultima Paint Guard Plus sealant as my main barrier of protection for the winter. I want to figure out what can be done additionally to make sure I get through the winter with the UPGP intact so that I can strip it and get another set of layers on there when the weather will let up, probably in April. So, that's 5+ months. My main question is, Is 5+ months realistic for UPGP on a DD that will likely get a wash every 1-2 weeks with a "pay and spray" or touchless car wash?

If I were to fortify the layers what would be the best way to do so:

- Add a coat of wax now on top of the UPGP?

- Add a layer of optimum car wax spray after each wash?

And if I do either of those, I don't think adding additional layers of UPGP later would work since it wouldn't bond correctly. So, am I better off just forgoing the wax products all together and just adding more layers of UPGP (which itself might not work due to low temperatures - I have read that below 50 degrees there are problems).

Or is there something I'm missing here altogether?

In a perfect work I would do a rinseless wash with ONR after spraying off the car with water that the pay and spray, but that is probably not realistic here in the dead of winter. So, I'm looking for the best way forward.

Thanks in advance for input.

Audios S6
10-28-2013, 08:18 AM
The last couple years I've done BFWD then topped with Duragloss aquawax every 2 weeks. Beading lasts all the way to april, so I assume the protection does as well.

I go to the pay & spray and do a 2BM (I may try rinseless this year). The ones near me all have roll up doors so it stays warm enough.

I would be a little hesitant to use optimum car wax since I've heard it's difficult to work with in high humidity and it is like a steamroom in the wash bays during the winter.

creaky
10-28-2013, 08:44 AM
The last couple years I've done BFWD then topped with Duragloss aquawax every 2 weeks. Beading lasts all the way to april, so I assume the protection does as well.

I go to the pay & spray and do a 2BM (I may try rinseless this year). The ones near me all have roll up doors so it stays warm enough.

I would be a little hesitant to use optimum car wax since I've heard it's difficult to work with in high humidity and it is like a steamroom in the wash bays during the winter.

Thanks for the product recommendation and the advise. Unfortunately, there are no roll up doors at the pay & sprays around here so you have to deal with elements. Using the 2 bucket or rinseless methods in subzero temps is no fun around here. But, steamy humidity is not a problem!

I'm wondering if putting a layer of wax now, something like Mother's liquid carnauba, and then topping with Aquawax or possibly or Optimum Car Wax is a good idea, or if I should just go with the spray directly on the UPGP sealant (since both sprays have sealants in them in addition to wax). Thoughts?