PDA

View Full Version : How to buy a used car?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

picturetone
10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
I would like to buy a new can but can't due to financial problem. Now I decided to buy a used car. If there any tips to buy a used car you can share here.

Pureshine
10-27-2013, 11:42 PM
I have never bought from a private party ever you never know what your getting. If you buy from a dealer ship they only keep the good used cars and whole sale the crap ones. If you want you can buy an extended warranty from the dealer ship. If you buy from a private party and the car dies a day later you screwed just my 2 cents.

jamesboyy
10-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Do research on the particular car you want to buy see how reliable car is what are the mechcanical issure etc and try to see if you can get a carfax if not get the vin number and research to make sure its not salvage when you personally look at the vechical make sure everything works and line up and if you can let the seller drive the vehicle and watch how the handle the car ...good luck

Real Riders
10-28-2013, 12:14 AM
When buying a used car you have to be very careful. Here are a few things I would consider when purchasing a used car
1. Get a Carfax before purchasing
2.Ask the owner or dealer if the car has ever been in accident
3. If purchasing from a dealer ask for the former owners name and phone #
4. Always take the car to your own mechanic that you trust and pay them to do an inspection on the car -- just a few things to check--- brakes, belts, oil, antifreeze, a/c, heater, transmission, and all fluid levels
5. Make sure the car has a current inspection sticker if it is required in your state. If the car has a dead sticker , it could cost hundreds of dollars to get it legal to drive
6. Make sure the tires are in good condition and do not have any flat spots or cuts in the sidewall -- new tires are very expensive to replace
7.When purchasing a car from an individual or dealer, ask to see the service records
8. If purchasing from an individual, ask if the car has been garage kept
9. Check the condition of the headlights -- Headlights on the newer cars can fade and sometimes you can sand and buff them, but if the headlights are really faded, you may have to replace them
10. The worst condition used cars are the ones that get driven daily like sport utilities and minivans. The best condition used cars are sports cars like Miata's, Porsche's, Corvette's, and Ferrari's. These cars are usually garage kept, never driven in the snow or bad weather,and are maintained better than daily drivers, but are usually more expensive

Good luck

Marc

Pureshine
10-28-2013, 12:49 AM
When buying a used car you have to be very careful. Here are a few things I would consider when purchasing a used car
1. Get a Carfax before purchasing
2.Ask the owner or dealer if the car has ever been in accident
3. If purchasing from a dealer ask for the former owners name and phone #
4. Always take the car to your own mechanic that you trust and pay them to do an inspection on the car -- just a few things to check--- brakes, belts, oil, antifreeze, a/c, heater, transmission, and all fluid levels
5. Make sure the car has a current inspection sticker if it is required in your state. If the car has a dead sticker , it could cost hundreds of dollars to get it legal to drive
6. Make sure the tires are in good condition and do not have any flat spots or cuts in the sidewall -- new tires are very expensive to replace
7.When purchasing a car from an individual or dealer, ask to see the service records
8. If purchasing from an individual, ask if the car has been garage kept
9. Check the condition of the headlights -- Headlights on the newer cars can fade and sometimes you can sand and buff them, but if the headlights are really faded, you may have to replace them
10. The worst condition used cars are the ones that get driven daily like sport utilities and minivans. The best condition used cars are sports cars like Miata's, Porsche's, Corvette's, and Ferrari's. These cars are usually garage kept, never driven in the snow or bad weather,and are maintained better than daily drivers, but are usually more expensive

Good luck

Marc

No dealer is going to give you the name of the old owner of the car and a car fax is a total joke really.

af90
10-28-2013, 01:02 AM
No dealer is going to give you the name of the old owner of the car and a car fax is a total joke really.

Yep, only reported work is on there (usually dealer work) and if the car was damaged before it was originally sold, for example in transit, that will not be listed either.

Shortspark
10-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Since money seems to be an important factor in your decision you will have to buy from an individual in order to get a deal. If you walk into a dealership's used car center you are walking into the ring with Ali, which means you have to understand you are going to get hurt, just hope you are not hurt too bad. They are the experts and do this day in day out - you do it once every few years. You do not have a chance to walk out with a bargain, even if you've done your homework. The used car side of a dealership usually makes more money than the new car sales and their best salesmen would rather sell used than new. If you deal with a dedicated used car lot be doubly cautious.

If money was not that big a factor then a dealer of good, quality cars (like Mercedes) is the way to go because of their tight criteria "certified car" program which selects only the best, latest model used cars. You know you are getting a quality made automobile, usually low mileage from a returned lease because most cars like Mercedes are usually leased for only two or three years at 10,000 miles per year and it is this kind of car that represents the bulk of the ones put into the dealer certified program. In addition you can rest assured that they have been well maintained by Mercedes mechanics through service agreements and prepaid maintenance programs that were rolled into the lease, and all come with a generous used car warranty. This is the only kind of used car I would buy. Although you will pay through the nose for it, the vehicle will still be many thousands of dollars off the price of a new one, and in many cases with these higher end brands, newer is not necessarily any better, especially a car that is only two to four years old.

If you buy from an individual, however, you will get the best price but there is more risk. Some of the tips you've received here concerning the examination of the car are valid and should be followed but I would also try to size up the seller. Use your interpersonal skills, listen closely to what he/she says that may be in contradiction because unlike pros, amateur sellers trip up often, be perceptive and try to determine their personal integrity as best you can - and never take anything at face value.

Once you've determined the car is what you really want and you believe the seller to be an honest person (walk away no matter how nice the car is if the seller leaves you with bad vibes), then and only then start your negotiations and pay only what your research and homework has told you the car is worth. Good luck!

jeof1000
10-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Just one tip, don't buy a car that's owned and driven by a lady.....;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

swanicyouth
10-28-2013, 06:09 AM
This may help:

http://youtu.be/0jAWGPeoFOA

Awesome video.

Calendyr
10-28-2013, 06:22 AM
This is a 4 part video regarding the pre-purchase inspection. Very useful info.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tvgaix4jZ0]Buying A Used Car Part 1: Exterior Inspection - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/video]

jankerson
10-28-2013, 07:31 AM
I have never bought from a private party ever you never know what your getting. If you buy from a dealer ship they only keep the good used cars and whole sale the crap ones. If you want you can buy an extended warranty from the dealer ship. If you buy from a private party and the car dies a day later you screwed just my 2 cents.

Yeah, the best bet is to buy a used car from a reputable dealership.

And they can get an extended warranty as you said.

FUNX650
10-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Buying a vehicle---new or used---should be a pleasant experience...
Most of the time it's not...especially from a Dealership.

A vehicle-shopping toolbox would be incomplete without the following:
http://www.bengay.com/sites/default/files/images/bengay-new_0.jpg
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?q=Preparation+H+Suppositories&w=81&h=81&c=1&rs=1&bw=1&bc=ffffff&pid=1.7&mkt=en-US&adlt=moderate&t=1&dc=3&mw=247

Good Wheel Hunting!!

Bob

Mike Phillips
10-28-2013, 07:46 AM
I would like to buy a new can but can't due to financial problem. Now I decided to buy a used car. If there any tips to buy a used car you can share here.

Gee I don't know.

Love the Spam link in your Sig Line...

To all our regular forum members, something I practice when I read a thread by a brand new member is to look and see if in their first, second or third post if they are posting as genuine members but actually just spamming our forum.

This happens all the time...

Look at his sig line...

I'll have a Mod ban this guy in a few minutes, thought I'd use this as a teaching moment.

:dblthumb2:

jankerson
10-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Buying a vehicle---new or used---should be a pleasant experience...
Most of the time it's not...especially from a Dealership.

A vehicle-shopping toolbox would be incomplete without the following:
http://www.bengay.com/sites/default/files/images/bengay-new_0.jpg
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?q=Preparation+H+Suppositories&w=81&h=81&c=1&rs=1&bw=1&bc=ffffff&pid=1.7&mkt=en-US&adlt=moderate&t=1&dc=3&mw=247

Good Wheel Hunting!!

Bob

I used to sell cars........

MOST of the problems the customers end up having are created by the customers themselves believe me..... They are their own worst enemy....

I was one that could get them in and out very fast, usually around an hour or so.....

NOW...... it's when they start playing games that the problems start.

Then the process is slowed down considerably and can take up to 4 hours or more....

Trying to get that last $100 off the price after they already cut it down to bare bones already...... They will be sitting there all day.....

Trying to get more for their trade than it's really worth.... They will be sitting all day.

Trying to get a point or two lower interest rate when their credit doesn't rate it..... They will be sitting there all day....

Come in with some BS price that was quoted by another Dealership....... They will be sitting there all day.....

Waste the Dealers time...... They will be sitting there all day... I would make sure of it, waste my freaking time..... I would make it a nightmare.....

IF the customer creates issues they will have problems and it will be a long hard process and they will let the customer sit and sit and sit... Hoping they will get tired of waiting and just go away and bother someone else at another dealership.

af90
10-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Except that's completely mitigated by having numerous dealers be known for:

Adding in packages to the contract without disclosing it

Numerous tactics such as trying to sell something but every time the customer asks a question they have to leave and get the sales manager

Attempt to force their own financing of which they get a kickback instead of accepting the customer's financing that is already arranged dragging on the process

False statements such as the deal is only good today

Not adhering to their own online posted prices

Trying to tack on hundreds if not thousands of dollars in bs coatings, and the list goes on.