PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat dilemma

aaa247
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
In March I bought a new 08 Ford hybrid that I like a lot. Since then I've been trying to learn as much as I can about detailing trying to make my new hybrid look as good as possible and thanks to AG I've come a long way. The problem I have now is the orange peel. I thought a reputable paint & body shop could just color sand the clear coat and take the orange peel out. So I went to a reputable shop and the owner told me he would not do the work because the clear coat was too thin. He said I cold take it back to the dealer and maybe they could do it but to make sure they guaranteed the work.

So now no matter how hard I try my hybrid will never look as good as it could. Is a thin clear coat common on new cars (not high-end ones of course) or did Ford mess up?

Anyone here who works for ford or has any ideas about what I can do?

ScottB
06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
orange peel is very common for all mass produced cars, my Vette has it also. Wet sanding will reduce it , but as offered with some degradation of the clearcoat. I suggest just polishing it and amping up the surface to the best level, and leave the orange peel alone.

Thejoyofdriving
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Well remember, the avarage clear coat is around 2-1 mills which is .002-.001 inches, so maybe ford went cheap on the clear coat?

aaa247
06-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Well I'll just try to make it the best looking orange peel ever lol!

Gnarboots11
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Well I'll just try to make it the best looking orange peel ever lol!

Ya! We all have orange peel! LEARN TO LOVE IT!

Truls
06-21-2007, 07:18 PM
wife got it....car got it....its common..

If you sand it, i would probably put some new C.Coats on the car, its very easy to get thru the CC and make a mess out of it.

I have thought about that myself, sanding, 3-4 layers of CC and sand and pollish again, but ill end up like you and keep it the best looking orange peel around..lol

I dont think i ever have seen a car without it..

coupe
06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
wife got it....car got it....its common..

:applause:

aaa247
06-21-2007, 07:43 PM
What do you do about the wifes orang peel..lol

I'm sure you have the best looking wife around with orange peel!!