PDA

View Full Version : Removing overspray from opticoated cars?

slammin86
10-27-2013, 07:40 AM
My GTO and Civic were both opticoated over a year ago and are still beading water nicely. I accidentally got some VHT wrinkle paint overspray on the upper portion of the cars. Is there an easy way to remove this?

If I clay will it remove the opticoat? Clay will probably mar the finish up though. Any other ideas?

Really do not want to do full details on both cars because of this.

VP Mark
10-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Claying will not remove the opti coat. Use a mild clay and you should be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

slammin86
10-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Claying will not remove the opti coat. Use a mild clay and you should be fine.

Is it going to mar the surface?

tuscarora dave
10-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Is it going to mar the surface?

I'd say there's no doubt in my mind that it will mar the surface to some degree. How bad? That'll be for you to find out and let us know if you would be so kind to do so.

Hopefully a quick pass with something like Optimum Finish would clear the marring up with minimal loss of the coating.

I had a customer report that a pressure washer blasted yellow road paint off of the Opti-Coat that I applied on his Dodge Ram pickup. Something to think about.

VP Mark
10-27-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd say there's no doubt in my mind that it will mar the surface to some degree. How bad? That'll be for you to find out and let us know if you would be so kind to do so.

Hopefully a quick pass with something like Optimum Finish would clear the marring up with minimal loss of the coating.

I had a customer report that a pressure washer blasted yellow road paint off of the Opti-Coat that I applied on his Dodge Ram pickup. Something to think about.

Not sure about that. I've clayed opti coated cars before with no marring at all. Using a fine grade prep sponge or opti razor clay sponge fine grade would cut down on any possible marring.

thebamboo23
10-27-2013, 09:44 AM
lubricated very well with little pressure

slammin86
10-27-2013, 09:48 AM
I will report back after I try it. Worst case scenario I buff them and re apply opticoat...in which case I would have had to clay anyway.

I might be able to pull off clay only on the red em1...but the black GTO who knows.

Klasse Act
10-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah I've never ever had any marring issue with claying myself.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

slammin86
10-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Ill try a pressure washer first. I will update this thread after I figure out what works.