PDA

View Full Version : Turned away my first customer.

Pages : [1] 2

Pureshine
10-26-2013, 06:58 PM
So I had a customer call me today and wanted my Express detail which is only for repeat customers. It even states that on my website so with that said I had him stop by my shop so I could take a look at the car. So as the saying goes if the customer says its not that bad its trashed and it was. I told the customers there was now way I could do an Express detail with the condition of the interior and I would give hem 10% off on the complete detail which covers the hole interior getting clean. They told me no and I sent them to the production shop down the street to get his car done. I couldn't do the work and feel good about the job and I won't do crap work for a quick $$$. So would like to hear what other people would've done.

DetailedByPrecision
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
You made the right business decision.

wheaton2010
10-26-2013, 07:26 PM
You made the right decision. That guy has 25 friends that want their rolling wrecks cleaned too. Sticking with quality customers who don't mind paying you what you are worth is always the right move.

Evan.J
10-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Todd as others have said you did the right thing. There is always a time to say no (politely) and walk away. I would not attach my name and my reputation to something I wasn't happy with or that I know wasn't going to be up to my standards.

Let the bad ones walk and keep all your good ones.

Audios S6
10-26-2013, 07:31 PM
One option would have been to ask what his budget and expectation was and try to tailor a package to him. But I'm guessing his budget and expectation was the express package; either clueless as to how you do work, or he wanted the full detail for the price of the express. Better to let that one go.

stilltipping3
10-26-2013, 08:16 PM
When I started I was only charging $200-$250 for Full details and paint corrections. Since then I have moved to $450+, Some of the people at work are seeing that I am doing more and more cars now and they are getting to be higher end. I know they are looking at my pics and tell me they are gonna be calling me soon. I cant wait to see their faces when I tell them that its going to be $500 for a full paint correction. However, I can tailor a smaller package for the original price quoted in the beginning. If they ask, I will tell them that that was my opening business package to get my detailing business started. It is not offered anymore and the prices are higher now. As they squirm I will tell, you know,...I can offer you something less in the means of a package. LOL They jacked me around and now I have enough cars every week that I don't have time. I can pick and chose the rich people who like their cars and want to keep them up. Plus, the cars I am now doing are clean on the inside. Not a mess at all. I just wipe, vacuum and protect with uv stuff. Loving this!! CASH IS KING

Bill1234
10-26-2013, 08:20 PM
overall, you made the right call imo, While it was great to see a client come forth with a budget in mind, he or she wanted something that was just not going to happen. I would have not just kicked them out the door, but at least offer what you can do. Keep in mind its how a business works,you offer the best you can with what you have

runrun411
10-26-2013, 08:22 PM
It must have been really bad. You do amazing work. That's right, don't hurt your reputation.

Detailing by M
10-26-2013, 08:39 PM
well you lost a customer.
One thing I try to do is to "find a happy medium" Don't shew away a customer because they "don't fit into your definition".
Work with people.
Stores sell "lost leaders" just to get you into the store. So kinda do the same when you see these people.
You won't come across these customers a lot but if you get a good customer out of it then you win.

I made 10's of thousands off a customer that I hated and almost wrote off but I said to myself "work with him and see what happens" next thing I know he's paying $500 to wash his two cars every week!

Bill1234
10-26-2013, 08:46 PM
One thing I try to do is to "find a happy medium" Don't shew away a customer because they "don't fit into your definition".
Work with people.
Stores sell "lost leaders" just to get you into the store. So kinda do the same when you see these people.
You won't come across these customers a lot but if you get a good customer out of it then you win.

I made 10's of thousands off a customer that I hated and almost wrote off but I said to myself "work with him and see what happens" next thing I know he's paying $500 to wash his two cars every week!

A loss leader would work, but its more for restaurants and not cars

beamerstrumpet
10-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Todd, You know you did right. I guess its kind of hard to follow your won advice sometimes but hey, your G2G.

Yep i had my first person (and honestly have not done a coustomer car yet) who looked at what Im charging (once again basedon help form Todd) and said "a shop down the street will do the whole outside and engine for 65 bucks."

I didnt think to tell her "Yep an its all a glaze to hide everything." I just said well I dont plan on being a production shop, you get what you pay for at 65. Ill have to let the one girl I am set up to clean her car do my advertising. I dont plan on getting rich quick. LOLOLOL and im not going to be a hack if I can knowingly help it.

Vegas Transplant
10-27-2013, 12:17 AM

Please describe a "loss leader" detail if you will.

Definition of loss leader (n)

Bing Dictionary
loss lead·er
1.something sold at a loss: an item sold at a price below its cost in the hope that customers who buy it will also buy other things

jpegs13
10-27-2013, 12:21 AM
Please describe a "loss leader" detail if you will.

Investopedia explains 'Loss Leader Strategy'

The loss leader strategy is more than just a nifty business trick - it is a successful strategy if executed properly.

A classic example is that of razor blades. Companies like Gillette essentially give their razor units away for free, knowing that customers will have to buy their replacement blades, which is where the company makes all of its profit.

Another example is Microsoft's Xbox video game system, which was sold at a loss of more than $100 per unit to create more potential to profit from the sale of higher-margin video games.

Hope that helps

Andr3wilson
10-27-2013, 12:28 AM
You made the right choice. A lot of times people want "a deal", not a good job. Stick to your guns and charge what you charge. Don't become known as one people can walk over.

Vegas Transplant
10-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks John.

I've never been to the OP's site, but assuming that express detail is a continuation or upkeep of a full detail. So basically the prospective customer wants a full detail at express detail price.

Am I seeing this wrong?