PDA

View Full Version : Help! Uber compound is getting the swirls out.

Pages : [1] 2

BoostN
10-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to correct my moms 2012 CTS V and I purchased the 5.5" pads for my PC DA Polisher. Using a orange Lake country pad. First I tried the Wolfgang twins but still light scratches are there. I then broke out the brand new bottle of Uber compound and not much change. I've tried different speeds and even technique. No luck. So far I've done the hood. Now, the color is night and day different!! But I want the paint to perfection. I'm trying to get pics but my phone isn't picking up my concerns.

Paint is black and the dealer didn't take care of it, demo car.

Title correction: Isn't getting the swirls out**

530inv
10-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Did you clay the paint before you started? If so, you may need a heavier cut pad (yellow) and run your machine at 5.5-6. Make sure you are cleaning your pad well during the process.

BoostN
10-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes I did clay before. My first run on my test spot with a brand new pad gave me the same result.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

artofdetailing
10-25-2013, 09:52 PM
you might need to use a purple foamed wool pad

Hockey Daily
10-25-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm having similar issues.. I'm starting to think I need a rotary..

Hockey Daily
10-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Rotary first then da??

wdmaccord
10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Maybe try M105/205 combo? Other thoughts would be Megs UC or Menzerna FG400?

You may also want to try a microfiber buffing pad rather than foam.

Evan.J
10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Pictures would help.

My thought is your removing the majority of defects and lessening the majors ones like RIDS. So while the paint is greatly improved your still seeing the RIDS and making the RIDS better but not fully removing them simply because they are deeper than the other defects you have removed.

swanicyouth
10-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Instead of buying a bunch of new polishes, polishers, and pads try this:

1. Slow your arm speed to 1" a second.

2. Add more downward force to the polisher.

3. Max the speed out at 6

4. Shrink your work area by half.

5. Use slightly lest compound, but add a spritz of DI water.

Kaban
10-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Instead of buying a bunch of new polishes, polishers, and pads try this:

1. Slow your arm speed to 1" a second.

2. Add more downward force to the polisher.

3. Max the speed out at 6

4. Shrink your work area by half.

5. Use slightly lest compound, but add a spritz of DI water.

Best advice in this thread.

Wool may be overkill unless you are dealing with some trashed paint or extremely hard clearcoat.

BoostN
10-25-2013, 10:40 PM
I may have to wait for the sun in the morning for pics. With the overhead lights I just can't get the angle. I'll attach one I got. Yes rids are there badly.. but, it still has it fair share of light scratches. But random here and there, not consistent. I rub over them and honestly it feels like the compound should pull them right out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

allenk4
10-25-2013, 10:48 PM
I thought the OP indicated that this was a 2012 dealer demo and that there are still "light scratches" after WGTSR and WGFG on an orange pad.

Isn't going to rotary or wool or even yellow pad jumping ahead several steps?

I agree with swanicyouth in the post above, probably a technique issue

BoostN
10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
I thought the OP indicated that this was a 2012 dealer demo and that there are still "light scratches" after WGTSR and WGFG on an orange pad.

Isn't going to rotary or wool or even yellow pad jumping ahead several steps?

I agree with swanicyouth in the post above, probably a technique issue
I'm not a pro, and that's why I'm here asking. However, I will repeat my test spot with the directions above and give it a shot.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-25-2013, 11:07 PM
If it's not mainly technique related, step up to a MF cutting pad with Uber Compound. You will see much better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

hernandez.art13
10-25-2013, 11:14 PM
:dunno:

How is the vehicle normally washed? And is it going to be taken care of after you correct the paint?