PDA

View Full Version : do surfactants or gloss enhancers touch lsp-abilities?

Pages : [1] 2

2shiny
10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I washed my car with a rinseless wash a week after giving the car a good detail and finishing with Carpro Reload. I love the hydrophobic ability it has. but after washing with a rinseless wash, the sheeting is practically gone, and it was still great the day before.
Now Carpro says it could be the surfactants. I thought it might be the gloss enhancers...

If they do, why do so many manufacterers put gloss enhancers and stuff in their shampoo? We all pay a lot of money to find that wax / sealant that suits us, to then get "messed with" by some gloss enhancers or other stuff...

swanicyouth
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't know what rinseless you used, but I bet it wasn't UWWP+. Try that.

FUNX650
10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I washed my car with a rinseless wash a week after giving the car a good detail and finishing with Carpro Reload.
I love the hydrophobic ability it has.

but after washing with a rinseless wash,
the sheeting is practically gone, and it was still great the day before.

Now Carpro says it could be the surfactants.
Surfactants need to be thoroughly removed...very, very thoroughly.

I thought it might be the gloss enhancers...
I'm curious:
-What's your definition of gloss enhancers...And/Or: What are they?
Thanks.

If they do, why do so many manufacterers put gloss enhancers and stuff in their shampoo?
We all pay a lot of money to find that wax / sealant that suits us,
to then get "messed with" by some gloss enhancers or other stuff...
There are many reasons for the use of what's been called:
"toppers"; Quick Detail Sprays/Waxes; re-loaders; refresheners; "drying-aids"; etc...

Perhaps...Removal of:
"messed with" by some gloss enhancers or other stuff's residues...could very well be another.

Just a hypothesis.

:)

Bob

2shiny
10-25-2013, 01:59 PM
indeed, it was dodo juice Low on eau...
does the UWWP contain gloss enhancers?

2shiny
10-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Surfactants need to be thoroughly removed...very, very thoroughly.

How so? I mean if they are used in rinseless washes, how do I remove them?

I'm curious:
-What's your definition of gloss enhancers...And/Or: What are they?
Thanks.

No idea, it's says so on the bottle :D I guess they mean polymers. but I'm not quit sure.

There are many reasons for the use of what's been called:
"toppers"; Quick Detail Sprays/Waxes; re-loaders; refresheners; "drying-aids"; etc...

I didn't use anything after the rinseless wash. I know QD's or drying aids, etc can alter how your LSP acts, so I didn't want that... didn't work out the way I planned :D

Perhaps...Removal of:
"messed with" by some gloss enhancers or other stuff's residues...could very well be another.

Just a hypothesis.

Sorry, can't seem to follow here, don't understand what you mean...

swanicyouth
10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
indeed, it was dodo juice Low on eau...
does the UWWP contain gloss enhancers?

Probably, but stuff still beads like crazy after you use it. UWW+ works awesome as a high concentration rinseless, because it's also formulated to use as a waterless. Just works well.

FUNX650
10-25-2013, 02:15 PM
How so? I mean if they are used in rinseless washes, how do I remove them?

Your removal tools (MF towels ?) may not suffice.
(That's why I'm postulating the use of the aforementioned "sprays")

No idea, it's says so on the bottle :D I guess they mean polymers. but I'm not quit sure.

Probably...Only the formulator and the MSDS could tell the tale.

I didn't use anything after the rinseless wash. I know QD's or drying aids, etc can alter how your LSP acts, so I didn't want that... didn't work out the way I planned :D

Sorry it didn't pan out for you.

Sorry, can't seem to follow here, don't understand what you mean...

I was referring to the residues from the rinseless-wash's: gloss enhancers and other stuff that you had mentioned.

I had similar, miserable results from use of another brand's rinseless-wash one time.
I emptied the bottle out. It made for an excellent re-bottling.

Bob

2shiny
10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Probably, but stuff still beads like crazy after you use it. UWW+ works awesome as a high concentration rinseless, because it's also formulated to use as a waterless. Just works well.
I still have some very nice beading, but I love the sheeting :D

I had similar, miserable results from use of another brand's rinseless-wash one time.
I emptied the bottle out. It made for an excellent re-bottling.

Bob
Not a fan of rinseless anymore I guess :D

But could the polymers or surfactants mess with the sheeting?
I have never had problems with my mf towels before, nevertheless, could be. will have to go get some new ones then, as I have about 50 of them, but all the same, exept for my buffing towels :D

Legumes
10-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Every rinseless wash I've ever done somewhat dulls down the beading on the car for a short period of time until whatever is left behind wears off. After that, it goes back to beading like crazy again from my lsp.

Christopher.Brown
10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
lol i hate to break up the party but i gotta throw some Meg's D115 love in here! :awesome:

- cleans great
- top notch shine
- imparts paint that just waxes slippriness
- ive yet to notice a loss of beading effectiveness

lekejian
10-25-2013, 09:25 PM
I think rinseless wash strip wax or sealant. I tested FK1000p,Dodo juice SNH 3 or 4 months ago,just couple of days ago I made another test on klasse SG. After ONRWW, initial beading or sheeting is ok,but not like before the wash.But only after one or two rain,it's all gone.

lekejian
10-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Every rinseless wash I've ever done somewhat dulls down the beading on the car for a short period of time until whatever is left behind wears off. After that, it goes back to beading like crazy again from my lsp.

really? maybe I should wait sometime to see the tight beading come back

2shiny
10-26-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm quit sure it doesn't strip wax/ sealant. Mine still has incredible beading. but all who have used Reload before will know how well it sheets water. that's completely gone now...

anyone who knows if Wolf's wash and wipe contains any gloss enhancers? amd their white satin as shampoo to for that matter?

PiPUK
10-26-2013, 11:44 AM
This is a topic which I have addressed several time. You will find more if you dig through to the details I have provided with regards to LSP stripping.

In summary and in my experience, most of the time someone speaks of a product stripping LSP, it does nothing of the sort. What it does is to deposit a temporary surfactant film which results in the surface beading/sheeting character to be modified. I have demonstrated repeatedly that LSP performance can be recovered, after the use of so calling 'stripping' products, with a surfactant-less clean or even something like IPA. This exact same thing is true with many waterless washes. The very way the products work requires that something adheres to the surface.

This area is quite a bit more complex than many realise. The above information is true for many surfactants. Some of those surfactants are what are known as gloss enhancers. Some of those are responsible for giving water beading/sheeting effects. What most people fail to appreciate is that they are very temporary effects. It is far from the norm for wash products to contain a genuine protection capacity, whether that is sealant or wax. A great indicator is the clarity of your product. If it is transparent, it is highly likely that there is no real wax or sealant, the product probably has surfactant surface modifiers (i.e. cheap). If it is opaque or translucent, there is a possibility that it does in fact contain wax or polymers (i.e. expensive) of some sort which could provide a real 'top up' to your LSP.

Unfortunately, as with many areas of detailing, the marketers mean that the consumer will rarely be able to differentiate without buying a product.

2shiny
10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
so if I would wash it and do an ipa wipedown, this would remove the surfactant film. but won't it touch the LSP?

would you know if wolf's chemicals white satin and mean green contain gloss ehnacers?