PDA

View Full Version : Please help, Foam Cannon started to leak

kaboose786
10-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Hey everyone, as you can see here in this youtube video: Foam Cannon Leaking - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsakRNzo6c0&feature=youtu.be) my foam cannon is leaking. As you can see i have teflon tape on and its not doing any good. Also i cant tighten the brass part anymore and its soo tight that i cant even unscrew it to check for any loose washers?

Foams comes out absolutely fine but leak is annoying as it sprays all over :(

Love's Auto
10-25-2013, 03:04 AM
You need to take it apart and put plummets tape. Easy fix

KS_Detailing
10-25-2013, 05:38 AM

I'm having the same problem since I switched to a quick connect end. It doesn't have the white tape around the threads. I assume thats what the problem is.

kaboose786
10-25-2013, 04:36 PM

I was thinking of doing this but problem is i cant take it apart as its soo tight :(

af90
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of doing this but problem is i cant take it apart as its soo tight :(Try Vice Grips and pliers or jerry rig something that you can torque it off.

swanicyouth
10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
You can Teflon tape that all you want and it will leak. Something is not right there. You need to disable it and inspect the brass and rubber parts. I'm betting you will find one of 2 things:

1. Cracked brass/metal around male or female area of threads.

2. An O-ring that has broken, dislodged, and shifted.

Teflon tape would never stop leaking like that to begin with, so it can't fix it. The OP said its already tightened as much as he can - so, something has failed.

kaboose786
10-25-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm having the same problem since I switched to a quick connect end. It doesn't have the white tape around the threads. I assume thats what the problem is.

so is mine not quick connect end? How much would it that cost me ?

kaboose786
10-25-2013, 05:12 PM
You can Teflon tape that all you want and it will leak. Something is not right there. You need to disable it and inspect the brass and rubber parts. I'm betting you will find one of 2 things:

1. Cracked brass/metal around male or female area of threads.

2. An O-ring that has broken, dislodged, and shifted.

Teflon tape would never stop leaking like that to begin with, so it can't fix it. The OP said its already tightened as much as he can - so, something has failed.

Thx for your advice ill definitely try to open it and inspect to see whats wrong

by the way what is the point of teflon tape? what is it good for ?

swanicyouth
10-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Teflon tape may help seal very minor leaks like a drip, but something spraying out all over the place (like in the video) will not be fixed with Teflon tape. That means something is broken or misassembled.

If your using an adapter (like a Karcher K series) and have leaks prior to the foam cannon, the actual issue is likely the adapter. The adapter has a small tube that seats an O ring on the end inside it - the adapter looks hollow, but it's not. The o ring is easily twisted or broken.

Russ57
10-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Standard pipe threads, as opposed to threads without a taper that may use a sealing gasket/o-ring/etc, have a spiral leak path from crest to root. They also aren't cut to precision standards. Without getting too technical this amounts to a thread sealant being required.

There are many good thread sealants. Teflon tape is just one possible choice. It has advantages (and disadvantages) but does require a bit more knowledge than normal "pipe dopes". It is hard to do pipe dope wrong.

Pipe threads should never be put together dry. They will leak, and worse yet, you can damage them. Galling is possible and then removal is very difficult.

Probably too much info but what the heck:)

P.S. I didn't watch your video...slow internet connection.