PDA

View Full Version : What damage can happen?

stilltipping3
10-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi, just wondering if any1 uses a polishing machine in the sun. Can you compound or polish in the hot sun. What would happen? I figure the paint can burn faster. Any1???Feed back please

wdmaccord
10-24-2013, 08:11 PM
polish is going to dry out quicker increasing the chances for dry-buffing

stilltipping3
10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
What is dry buffing and what are the results? I have an idea but can u elaborate for me?

AutoHeed
10-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Dry buffing means you are buffing without any lubrication from the polish (dried out). Could result in:
1. Creating swirls
2. Dried polish that is extremely hard to remove (not without instilling swirls)
3. If you are using rotary polisher, can cause hologram (buffer trail), paint burn (too hot) and dried polish.

Best to work under a shade if you cant find a garage. Some polishes have to be broken down properly to get desired result. If they get prematurely dry, not effective.

stilltipping3
10-24-2013, 08:32 PM
thanks

custmsprty
10-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Poor Boy's Polishes can be used in the direct sun.

All Poorboy’s products are formulated to be used in or out of the sun. They will not dry to a stubborn haze or mar your finish if applied in direct sunlight. Poorboy's World Super Swirl Remover SSR2 gives you plenty of working time to remove imperfections without dusting.

swanicyouth
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
It really is not about the sun, but the panel temperature. Sun doesn't have this magic effect that creates water spots or makes buffing short cycled. Of course, panels can hear up quickly in sun.

Put your hand on the panel, if it feels warm you may have issues.

stilltipping3
10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
ok, I was wanting to mess with my friends car but didn't have room to pull it into the garage. The hood is very hot from the sun. Now I know not to do it! Thanks again.

drvnbysound
10-24-2013, 08:53 PM
It really is not about the sun, but the panel temperature. Sun doesn't have this magic effect that creates water spots or makes buffing short cycled. Of course, panels can hear up quickly in sun.

Put your hand on the panel, if it feels warm you may have issues.

I was just thinking about this yesterday as some fall weather has finally come upon my area and temps have been in the mid-60s to mid-70s lately... I love this time of year!

Vegas Transplant
10-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi, just wondering if any1 uses a polishing machine in the sun. Can you compound or polish in the hot sun. What would happen? I figure the paint can burn faster. Any1???Feed back please

* Sure. Even in the Mojave.

* Ever hear of a paint wrinkle?

artofdetailing
10-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Poor Boy's Polishes can be used in the direct sun.

All Poorboy’s products are formulated to be used in or out of the sun. They will not dry to a stubborn haze or mar your finish if applied in direct sunlight. Poorboy's World Super Swirl Remover SSR2 gives you plenty of working time to remove imperfections without dusting.

I need to pick up a set of poorboys polishes and compounds for the times when I do have to work in the sun.

custmsprty
10-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I need to pick up a set of poorboys polishes and compounds for the times when I do have to work in the sun.

Living down here in Florida and how hot the sun is I was skeptical at first but they do perform well.