PDA

View Full Version : Portable work light

Pages : [1] 2

kjn
10-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Scrolled thru Home Depot for work lights and saw the brand Hdx work light for $40. Its a dual 500 watt, which is 1000 together. Any one use this light before? Im guessing its homedepot brand. The other option was a husky light for $80, which is a bit more pricey.

inDetail
10-24-2013, 08:13 PM
If your looking to inspect paint as you work you can't go wrong with a Brinkman. As far as overall lighting of a space I just use full spectrum light bulbs. They are as close to sunlight as your going to get. After that sunlight tells the truth.
I like working under full spectrum bulbs. I can put them in any old socket and they don't require anything special.

af90
10-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Different bulbs product different effects. Having a variety of lighting helps you get the true nature of the paint, I use those Halogens, you have listed above, also I have a handheld halogen, Brinkmann, and small CREE LED Flashlight.

MarkD51
10-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Scrolled thru Home Depot for work lights and saw the brand Hdx work light for $40. Its a dual 500 watt, which is 1000 together. Any one use this light before? Im guessing its homedepot brand. The other option was a husky light for $80, which is a bit more pricey.

I've got similar here, bought the simple single 500W model on portable stand, and a single 500W without stand that I mounted on my carport ceiling beam which gives illumination to the top of a vehicle.

Yes, they help, but do get hot. If you're working with one on stand, you're working on side panels, and are close to these lights, you will feel the heat from them.

Maybe not the ultimate in lighting, and what was suggested above might be a better alternative.

Still, these little portable lights have other uses, can come in handy when painting indoors, working on something outside at night, or adding light somewhere where needed for home, or auto use.

My investment for the two were about $35. Not too bad for such, and they work fine.
Mark

kjn
10-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys, i'm primarily looking for something I can move around with me. I have a UK dive light and a Coast 200 Lumen headlight I can play with. But even with those I have a hard time.

Detailing by M
10-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Halogen lights are a thing of the past.
Get LEDs, no heat and whiter light

KS_Detailing
10-25-2013, 05:59 AM
I have this light from Home Depot. I think its around $100

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/b54eb535-3562-47ca-b0f5-924f4379319f_1000.jpg

It gives good light output. The nice thing about this light is it produces no heat. I have it on for hours and it doesn't get hot compared to halogens that I can smell the heat coming off the bulbs. Its adjustable and you can take the tri head off for lower panels.

erichaley
10-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I use the Husky single LED light ($80), and have been very happy with it. A single light source does a better job of showing swirls and holograms.

For halogen lights, be sure to plug it into a surge protector (NOT a power strip), preferably a dedicated, single outlet one. In my experience, it protects the bulbs from power fluctuations, and I have not had any issues with bulbs burning out.

JSou
10-25-2013, 09:26 AM

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/b54eb535-3562-47ca-b0f5-924f4379319f_1000.jpg

It gives good light output. The nice thing about this light is it produces no heat. I have it on for hours and it doesn't get hot compared to halogens that I can smell the heat coming off the bulbs. Its adjustable and you can take the tri head off for lower panels.

Was looking at this one. Thanks for sharing. May have to pick this up as my Halogens are used for the lower panels now.

kjn
10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Looks sweet, I always see people saying leds arent bright enough. Can I ask how are you guys positioning the light? Like distance, directly behind you? to the side?

I use the Husky single LED light ($80), and have been very happy with it. A single light source does a better job of showing swirls and holograms.

For halogen lights, be sure to plug it into a surge protector (NOT a power strip), preferably a dedicated, single outlet one. In my experience, it protects the bulbs from power fluctuations, and I have not had any issues with bulbs burning out.

KS_Detailing
10-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Looks sweet, I always see people saying leds arent bright enough. Can I ask how are you guys positioning the light? Like distance, directly behind you? to the side?

I have a small garage space to work in at the moment, so I can't keep the light at a distance. But it lights up the garage fairly well.

c8n
10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
I actually bought the HDX one when it was on sale for $20 or something.
Tons of light but there are also tons of heat. Can't use this during the summer as it gets too hot. One of the glass cover exploded due to the heat.

However, I will be using this in the winter time as a heater!

kjn
10-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Im in the same boat I have very little space. But i really need something that"ll show all the defects.

I have a small garage space to work in at the moment, so I can't keep the light at a distance. But it lights up the garage fairly well.

spence
10-25-2013, 11:27 PM
KJN

How many Lumens Husky single LED light ?

kjn
10-26-2013, 03:29 AM
KJN

How many Lumens Husky single LED light ?

Not sure bro, im still deciding on what to pick up. I might pick up the same one from Home Depot and if it doesn't show defects ill just go with the halogen one.