PDA

View Full Version : Proper Glaze technique?

Grimm
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
After some searching I didn't find much on the technique for applying glaze. I have the XMT glaze, and previously the couple times I used it I assumed it was like applying wax so I put it on at around speed 3, and moved the pc quite fast with no pressure. Well, the other day I actually was reading the bottle, and saw it contains cleaners and to apply no faster than 5500 opms. So that made me question how this should be applied. So how do you do it? Should pressure be applied, and what about speed and number of the passes? I just finished up using it on one of my cars last night, and I had the PC at speed 5, and made two (one vertical, one horizontal) moderate passes (maybe 4-5 inches per sec?) with light pressure.

ScottB
06-21-2007, 12:04 PM
because it is almost a finishing polish with some fillers, treat it as such. Use the PC ...speed on 4 and a finishing pad. Buff off, and remember it also has a little protection but should be covered with a carnauba asap.

Grimm
06-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, this last car I did it more like a polish using a black LC pad and then topped with Nattys Blue. So I would get better results with it if I go as slow as I would polishing and using the same sort of pressure?

Nica
06-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I've used the XMT glaze many times but I've never used a machine to apply it, I always do it by hand...maybe I should use my rotary to apply it...mmm may need to give that a try.

BlackCoupe
06-21-2007, 01:14 PM
but should be covered with a carnauba asap.

...but not a sealant?

trl2112
06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
...but not a sealant? Sealant will not bond correctly do to the Carnauba in the glaze.

Jimmie
06-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I've used the XMT glaze many times but I've never used a machine to apply it, I always do it by hand...maybe I should use my rotary to apply it...mmm may need to give that a try.

The first few times that I tried it the pad soaked up the product so a bunch of us started applying it by hand. Since then I've applied it to the paint first and back the PC over it to spread it (like you posted recently Nica when applying polish for the rotary). I use a generous amount and it doesn't disappear in the pad.

Nica
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing buddy...man same wave length you and I...thanks for the tip. I'll use this method this weekend.

scottgt
06-21-2007, 05:07 PM
i do it on speed 4 with ccs black pad

richy
06-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I was thinking the same thing buddy...man same wave length you and I...thanks for the tip. I'll use this method this weekend.

I posted that with RMG one of the 1st times I used it..found it to be faster and with great results.

AUdakota
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I have no problems with a white edge pad soaking it in, but I do always try to apply it in the same couple spots so that the really saturated places stay the same I dont know if it does anything but I dont have any problems.

Nica
06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I posted that with RMG one of the 1st times I used it..found it to be faster and with great results.

Yea I remember you mentioned that and I went back and read what you said about this method. It's funny becuase since I'm new to the method I "assume" I discovered it but in reality I'm sure alot of detailers use this method hahahaha...I feel like I just discovered Canada or something like that hahahaha...love discovering things.

AUdakota
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
wouldnt discovering canada be a bad thing?

Nica
06-22-2007, 12:14 PM
lol..not if you find the red mile in Canada :righton:

red mile here in Calgary was a blast

6LS2
06-28-2007, 07:25 AM
If you have a problem with the pad soaking the XMT Glaze in, give the bottle a good shake. It will make it alot thicker and your soaking probably will dissapear.

6LS2