PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat problem? What is this?

miniSguy
10-24-2013, 04:58 AM
I am detailing a GMC Silverado this weekend. The paint at the back corner of the bed has white spots. What is this? I am concerned because it didn't budge when I wiped it just to check it out.

Could this be a clear coat problem, or will I be able to correct?

ken tuep
10-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Looks like maybe the beginning of clearcoat failure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
10-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Really hard to say from the picture...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22320&d=1382608684

Here's how you can troubleshoot paint problems...

Place a tape line down and then only buff on one side of the tapeline. After a few passes using a compound or polish stop and wipe the residue off and see if there is a visual difference showing the spots being removed or lessening on the side you buffed as compared to the un-buffed side.

If the answer is "yes" then the defects are topical and you should be able to remove them.

If the answer is "no" then it could be the defect has stained or migrated deep into the clear. If this is the case it still might be possible to remove them by removing enough of the clear coat but at some point for DAILY DRIVERS you want to learn to live with the defects versus remove them completely because all the UV protection for the paint system, (clear and base), is in the clear.

The clear is thin as you know from attending my class (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-saturday-detailing-101/70875-pictures-detailing-boot-camp-class-september-28th-29th-2013-a.html) and being a regular member of this forum.

Be sure to update us on how this turns out.

:)

miniSguy
10-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks, I had planned to test the spot out once I got my hands on it. I just wanted to know what to be prepared for.

The rest of the truck looks good, with only some swirls I should be able to correct easily.

This white spot phenomina is localized to a small area on each side of the tailgate.

I'll post more when I get the truck next Saturday.

Thanks!