PDA

View Full Version : Question about Auto Finesse ObliTARate

ijm5012
10-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi guys,

So I'm interested in try some Auto Finesse products, namely obliTARate, but I have a question about it. I see that it says it is a solvent based product, and that concerns me because I have an XPEL clear bra on my front bumper, fenders, and hood. The installer told me to never use any product that says "contains petroleum distillates", as it will break down the Polyurethane film.

I currently use Tar-X for my tar and bug removal, as it is citrus based so it doesn't cause issues with the film. Would I run in to any issues using this product on the paint protection film? Also, for areas where there isn't any film, is this product really worth the premium over Stoner's Tarminator, or even just some simple Mineral Spirits?

Thanks for your help!

kaiten408
10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
I can't really comment on the clear bra with this product, but I will say that it doesn't sound like it would be a good idea to us it on that.

Now comparing to Tarminator, I would say the premium is very much worth it. It's much stronger in my experience than Tarminator, and find that the liquid last much longer the aerosol based Tarminator.

PiPUK
10-23-2013, 10:54 AM
You should ask for the safety data sheet, just to confirm what is in it.

The product certainly used to be a pretty potent blend of strong hydrocarbon solvents, much stronger than mineral spirits. Not to suggest that to be problematic, comparable blends are sold by numerous brands and you generally won't have trouble if you follow the instructions. Just keep in mind, these products are about as strong as you can get before you risk stripping the paint so they need treated with respect. Smart repairs, DIY paint and your clear bra are things that I would specifically recommend against for any product of this type.

My view would be that, for lesser deposits, Tar-X would be a safer bet as it doesn't have any of the xylene/toluene/aromatic solvent ingredients. I suppose you could relate to wheel cleaners and say that Tar-X equates to a milder non-acid cleaner, Oblitarate would be your strong acid - so choose accordingly.