PDA

View Full Version : Swirl finder light techniques

SR99
10-22-2013, 08:53 PM
There have been lots of threads about "which swirl finder light to buy" but not many on technique.

When your paint has lots of swirls/scratches there's not much technique involved. They show up at pretty much any angle and just about any light.

But when you have faint or infrequent scratches, or are in the process of correcting denser scratching, or have light colored paint like white, getting the right illumination (angle and height of the light relative to your eyes) can be a challenge.

Sometimes you think you catch a glimpse of some faint scratches but then have to go back and hunt for the right illumination so you can take a better look at them (sometimes you can't seem to find them again ;o)).

I learned something this weekend from Wills.WindowsAndWheels (as he was kind enough to let me audition his Rupes 15 and 21) about swirl finding lights which is more effective on white paint than any technique I've previously tried. I've played with it a bit more since then and it's definitely an improvement: Hold the light above your head (rather than between your head and the paint) and also move the light slowly up and down (rather than side to side) over about a 10" range.

Now I'm not saying this makes it easy to find every faint scratch in white paint, just easiER. It helps make the scratches pop out better. It does take some practice, but it's definitely better than what I used to do (mainly, side to side motion of the Brinkman Xenon light, with the light between my head and the paint).

If you've got some techniques that work for you, please share.

BlackHawk
10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
My experience with swirl finding lights is that each light shows different things. I have tiny little LED lights that for some reason show all the defects in light colors as well as dark colors. I mainly use them with light colors obviously, since no other light of mine will show as much as this little one. Now when it comes to dark colors, i also noticed different flash lights show different defects.

Pureshine
10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I have the Fenix TK35 820 Lumens it shows everything it hides nothing. Best light I ever bought for paint correction.

BrianMcLeod
10-22-2013, 09:23 PM
I was going to buy the brinkmann swirl finder light but out of stock which one would y'all recommend

UglyBetty
10-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Not an expert on finding swirls, but every light is different. Lumen claims don't mean much, without knowing the reflector, number of bulbs, etc.........I have a few high end lights, not for finding swirls, but other purposes. Most of them are too bright, and tightly focused beams for finding swirls.

UglyBetty
10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
I have the Fenix TK35 820 Lumens it shows everything it hides nothing. Best light I ever bought for paint correction.

Nice light, maybe overkill for the task, but nice light none the less. Buy some decent Panasonic 18650 rechargeables for it if you haven't already.

kjn
10-22-2013, 09:37 PM
How about worklights? I was playing around with a single clamp on light(metal bowl looking reflector) and had a hard time finding anything.

beamerstrumpet
10-22-2013, 09:58 PM
My experience with swirl finding lights is that each light shows different things. I have tiny little LED lights that for some reason show all the defects in light colors as well as dark colors. I mainly use them with light colors obviously, since no other light of mine will show as much as this little one. Now when it comes to dark colors, i also noticed different flash lights show different defects.

are you refering to one thats like a wand with the 20 or so lights ? I have been wondering about them.

Pureshine
10-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Nice light, maybe overkill for the task, but nice light none the less. Buy some decent Panasonic 18650 rechargeables for it if you haven't already.

Yes I have rechargeable for it and its not over kill it has 3 different settings.

wompasaurus
10-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to find swirls in metallic flake paint? My ford escape is a dark blue with flake and with my brinkman its nearly impossible to find them but I can see them in the Sun. There gone as of sunday but I'm hoping therenis a better way to find swirls in flaked paint any tips geeks?

Bates Detailing
10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
The light on my phone is an aid to find swirls just fine lmao...... been using it for about 4 years now. It does suck when my phone is buried deep in my pocket and Im trying to portray to the client his/hers swirls...... sometimes it takes me 5 secs + to pull it out :mad:. But when I do pull it out, it is accurate for the most part to show swirls/swirls gone on a 50/50 panel. But then again, the flashlight ap was free, so maybe the high tech radar gun/swirl finders are better lmao :buffing: