PDA

View Full Version : First Detail - Black Audi A5

creaky
10-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Well, I lost my innocence on my wife’s 2013 Brilliant Black Audi A5. After a quick practice run on the hood of our Toyota beater, I felt like I could take on the challenge. But before that, a big thanks to all here on AG that have contributed information. I couldn’t of done it without you guys! And an extra special thanks to forum member ekennett for his expert advice and encouragement.

I wanted to do a paint correction on the very swirly black paint, take care of some rock chips, and winter prep the car. Below are a couple of before pics. Also notice this major etching, which I’m guessing was from sap. So, a wash, clay, compound, polish, paint prep, and sealing was on the docket. Here’s a list of the equipment and products used:

GG Heavy-Duty wheel cleaner
1z Einszett bug and tar remover (for wheels)
Mother’s wheel brush
Chemical Guys Wheel Woolies
5-gallon bucket
Grit guard
GG Car Wash
GG Adjustable soap sprayer
GG Chenille MF wash mitt
Stoner Invisible Glass
Viking waffle-weave drying towel
2 x Cobra grey MF towels
6 x Cobra yellow MF towels
Assorted older MF towels (for wheels and exhaust tips)
Painter’s tape
GG Speed Shine
Ultima Elastrofoam Cleaner kit
GG 6” DA polisher
1 GG orange foam pad
5 x 6.5” Lake Country flat orange foam pads
2 x 3” GG orange foam pads (with holder)
Terrycloth towel (for “on the fly” cleaning)
Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound
Meguiar’s 205 finishing polish
5 x 6.5” Lake Country flat white foam pads
Ultima Paint Prep kit
6” Sonax SFX-3 orange foam pad (per the recommendation of Ultima)
Isopropyl Alcohol
Dr. ColorChip kit
Ultima Paint Guard Plus kit

One thing that I learned was that this stuff takes a LONG time! I have a newfound respect for the patience and effort that detailing entails. I thought I could do this in one long day. Ended up taking three!

Day 1:

Wash wheels and car. Did a cursory job on the wheels, didn’t get into the barrels and get everything perfect but really it was the paint I was after. Besides, it’s my wife’s DD and living out in the country we see some very mixed conditions plus dirt and gravel roads. So, got wheels got short shrift. Rest of the wash and dry was as per normal.

“Clayed” the car with Ultima Elastrofoam Cleaner kit. I’ve actually never used clay before but got this kit as it was recommended here on the forum and it evidently saves time. Sometimes it was hard to tell how well it was working but it did smooth over the paint after doing the “baggie test.”

Got out painter’s tape and taped over rubber edges around the windows and sunroof.

Then it was show time and the GG DA got fitted with a flat LC orange pad. Primed it up with Meg’s UC, got some working product on there, and then the section passes began. As they went on, and I was cleaning between each pass with the terrycloth towel, I began to realize what a big project this was for me. Undaunted, I continued. As light was fading, I decided to call it a day and get to the polishing the following morning.

Unfortunately, I had nowhere to put the car that night and it rained. Bummer.

Day 2:

The next morning I got outside with the GG Speed Shine and MF towels and did a cleanup and then re-“clayed” with the Elastrofoam.

While doing this, I noticed that there were still some swirl marks on the paint. I got my DA out again and this time did some of the more “noticibale” surfaces with a GG orange pad and the Meg’s UG, kicking up the speed on the DA from 4 to 5. I didn’t have any stronger compound and no time to get some (it would have had to have been ordered online), I resigned myself to the fact that this is how it was going to be, but maybe some of the following steps would help with the swirls. The deeper scratches and the sap etching looked considerably better.

Then it was on to Megs 205 on white LC pads, speed 5. Another long haul. Swirls weren’t any better but the car sure was shiny.

Now I was ready for the Ultima Paint Prep though I followed the instructions carefully, the hazing was pretty minimal. I must have really worked it in! I applied with the DA on 4, using a Sonax SFX-3 orange foam pad (as per Ultima’s recommendation). Some parts were a bit hard to buff off but I think I got just about all of it.

Those paint chips were proudly mocking me from the hood and they were the next to go. I prepped the areas by putting a small piece of painter’s tape next to each chip (so I wouldn’t accidently seal them during the next step), then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Dr. CC was very easy to apply though for one chip on the front edge of the hood I had to redo the chip to get the paint to cover the area.

The sealant was next. I still can’t believe how little Ultima Paint Guard Plus you have to use. One spray to prime and another spray to use and you’re off. One spray could easily do an entire panel. Whoever posted the trick of placing the applicator on a window to see if any product is left get a big shout out. Otherwise, I could really not tell what was on the thing. Ultima is not kidding when they say a quarter ounce is enough to do the whole car.

Sun was getting low so decided to pack it up.

Day 3:

Slight hazing from the UPGP that was easily removed with a MF towel. Now on to the remaining two coats of sealant. I waited an hour between coats (according to Ultima you only need to wait 45 minutes) and they went on nice and easy. After the final coat cured, went over everything with a MF towel to make sure there were no streaks. Removed tape and cleaned glass and rubber where tape was adhered.

Conclusion:

Is the car perfect?

No. Still some light swirls on the paint maybe a heavier compound like Megs 101 or a more cutting pad is needed. I suspect it’s more likely that I could improve my technique. It is a process. There are still some deep scratches and that etching but they are much improved. If I get it fixed, I will likely leave that to a professional.

Was it a lot of work?

Oh, man, was it ever! Two long days and one day follow up, I’m beat.

Did I learn a lot?

YES! Now I’ve got a lot on the ball for the next time, and I also have a better idea of how to take care of my cars in the meantime.

Could I use some feedback?

Of course! I want to improve.

Thanks for reading.

creaky
10-22-2013, 10:17 AM
The before shots

creaky
10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
After shots. Sorry for the bad quality - it's just staring to rain and I wanted to post these up. (If you look close you can see a few small beads on the hood.)

R4IDER
10-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Car looks great! some sun or reflector lights shots of the after polished areas would reflect your work better

audis are know to have a more harder clear ,i would step up to a wool-mf cutting pad and a very agressive compound to work faster and more efficiently

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
Nice work. You really put some quality time in on that one.

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Looks like you are getting the hang of it! It always goes quicker the second time once you kinda know what you're doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

creaky
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks, guys!

R4ider, do you have any specific recommendations for pads and compounds for the hard clear of the Audi? I certainly felt like I could have used something stronger for the swirls.

Working on getting more pics up. Something's not cooperating....

R4IDER
10-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Your swirls are actually machine-made ,at least thats what the 2nd photo looks like

did u got the car to some shop before?

i would look into :

Menzerna FG400
Wolfgang uber compound
Menzerna ceramic line

Buff and shine foam, microfiber and wool pads

Lexi65
10-22-2013, 04:25 PM
After shots. Sorry for the bad quality - it's just staring to rain and I wanted to post these up. (If you look close you can see a few small beads on the hood.)

Good job! Congrats! :buffing:

creaky
10-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Your swirls are actually machine-made ,at least thats what the 2nd photo looks like

did u got the car to some shop before?

i would look into :

Menzerna FG400
Wolfgang uber compound
Menzerna ceramic line

Buff and shine foam, microfiber and wool pads

Thanks, r4ider.

As for the swirls, I did have the car washed and waxed by a detailer about 3 times before trying it myself. If the swirls were caused by their carelessness - I'm not enough of an expert to say so myself - then that's disturbing.

R4IDER
10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
maybe its the photo but those scratches look way tiny and perfect to be from hand washing and waxing

check this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring-da-haze-tick-marks.html

creaky
10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
maybe its the photo but those scratches look way tiny and perfect to be from hand washing and waxing

check this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring-da-haze-tick-marks.html

Thanks for the link. It must be my crappy photos - in person the swirls look like the cobwebs that Mike describes as caused by wear and tear and poor washing technique. My washing has gotten better lately so I'm probably partly to blame for past sins.