PDA

View Full Version : Engine detail

KS_Detailing
10-21-2013, 07:23 PM
So what do you do if the alternator is not accessible to cover?

davidc
10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
So what do you do if the alternator is not accessible to cover?

Remove the Battery cables. You would have to be sure everything is dry before reconnecting. I personally would disconnect the cables no matter what anyway.

Dave

Romans5.8
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
+1 to above. These things CAN get wet. It's pressure that you REALLY want to avoid. So just avoid putting pressure or a stream of water on the alternator and you should be okay. I'm a newbie to detailing but I do know my way around the under-the-hood area a bit!

statusdetailing
10-21-2013, 09:41 PM
I've never had a problem with an alternator. I cover anything that looks sensitive, with plastic.

The things that really tend to be problems are sensors and around spark plugs. Don't even think about starting an engine up until you have blown the engine out with a blower and compressed air. . . and removed the plastic and foil or whatever you've used to cover important components.

After I've dried an engine out to the best of my ability, I start it up and let it run for 10-20 minutes to allow any remaining moisture to evaporate.

Pureshine
10-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I've never had a problem with an alternator. I cover anything that looks sensitive, with plastic.

The things that really tend to be problems are sensors and around spark plugs. Don't even think about starting an engine up until you have blown the engine out with a blower and compressed air. . . and removed the plastic and foil or whatever you've used to cover important components.

After I've dried an engine out to the best of my ability, I start it up and let it run for 10-20 minutes to allow any remaining moisture to evaporate.

:iagree:

KS_Detailing
10-22-2013, 02:27 PM
So if I cant cover the alternator just avoid spraying it directly or disconnect the battery? what about the battery? Should I cover that too?

HateSwirls
10-22-2013, 02:49 PM
:iagree:

+1 on the sensor's.
You have a very good chance that nothing will be damaged if your car is a 1996 or higher.
Since then parts that are sensitive are much better sealed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

nissenc1337
10-22-2013, 04:25 PM

That

You really can't be too safe. You don't want to throw a code. There are chemicals that mechanics use to spray into sensor plugs in case water gets in them. Might be good to have on tap if you plan to do this a lot.

davidc
10-22-2013, 05:49 PM
I look at it this way. Alternators cost money, they have diode packs that change the AC to DC, if you short out even one of those the alternator is toast and needs to be replaced or rebuilt which requires removal also. There are brushes and a commutator also, to me the less I intentionally do to this piece of electrical equip. the better off I am. I do have to reset the radio afterwards but I am not wrenching. As long as the system is de-energized during the cleaning process and dried to the best you can the odds of a problem go way down. Just my .02 cents

Dave