PDA

View Full Version : Detailing education

cherokeedawg240
10-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Hey all

I working hard on getting my detailing skills up so I can start a business. And I want to ask a question. What is the best way to learn detailing? A co worker suggested that I take auto collision repair because they have a detailing class. But I dont really see the need to take a whole 2 year auto body course just to get that one detailing class.

My plan is to use books and this site (and save up to attend a Mike Phillips class) and practice on mine and my wife's cars. IS that the best plan? is formal education needed? thanks guys

Mike

lyodbraun
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Practice practice, go to junk yard and pick up door or trunk lids and practice on those to get a good technique down ? Or if ya have friends willing to be test subjects lol... Just takes time..

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
10-20-2013, 12:49 PM
One of the best detailing resources.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

cherokeedawg240
10-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Practice practice, go to junk yard and pick up door or trunk lids and practice on those to get a good technique down ? Or if ya have friends willing to be test subjects lol... Just takes time..

I like the junk yard idea. Only bad part is we live in an apartment so I cant keep car body parts laying around lol. I got friends that are willing plus mine and my wifes car.

hamlyn
10-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Is renting a storage unit an option?

Love's Auto
10-20-2013, 02:20 PM
We started our shop out of a storage unit here in Hawaii. 5 years later our shop is making $30k a month every month. We do production work and high end work. A storage unit is a great place to start until you get your name out there then upgrade to a nicer place. Also, my partner and I are the only two that work at the company and we sometimes do 25 cars a day. Aim for the sky!

thebamboo23
10-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Do friends cars, attend workshops, watch youtube videos, read

Vegas Transplant
10-20-2013, 05:22 PM
This is not something that you learn through osmosis, or even through vicarious experience. Gotta crack some eggs to become a good chef.

Also, my partner and I are the only two that work at the company and we sometimes do 25 cars a day. Aim for the sky!

That's a lot of blood, sweat, and tears...kudos!

cherokeedawg240
10-20-2013, 06:45 PM
We started our shop out of a storage unit here in Hawaii. 5 years later our shop is making $30k a month every month. We do production work and high end work. A storage unit is a great place to start until you get your name out there then upgrade to a nicer place. Also, my partner and I are the only two that work at the company and we sometimes do 25 cars a day. Aim for the sky!

I had not thought of renting a storage building i had been planning on doing mobile. Will most storage places let you run a detailing biz at the storage place?

Hoytman
10-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Gotta crack some eggs to become a good chef.

I may have to use that one sometime. :laughing:

jsgntulok
10-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Since you live in GA, you are not too far from Stuart FL. Consider signing up for Mike's next Detailing Bootcamp.

cherokeedawg240
10-22-2013, 10:48 AM
I plan on attending a bootcamp.....but I gotta save for that. I like the Idea of having the business in a shop so that will be my ultimate goal. But I will do mobile at first.

One idea Ive had is do a temporary location like at a gas station or some where. until I can afford to move to a shop.