PDA

View Full Version : Plexi-glass (Plastic) windshield polishing?

Romans5.8
10-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey all,

My motorcycle has a plastic (Plexi-Glass) windshield that has a number of fine scratches in it. Anyone have a suggestion on a way to maybe polish them out? Would love to restore the clarity it once had! Considering maybe doing a similar process to what is done on headlights? Thoughts?

Vegas Transplant
10-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Smart move :props:

Then look at the Diamondite products.

Romans5.8
10-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Guess I'll just have to give it a shot!

Was thinking about it a little more. There's a large piece of chrome trim that I was going to remove to polish this anyway. I think I'll take some denim or something and intentionally 'scratch' that area with those same fine scratches and then attempt a repair. If I only make it worse, the chrome will hide it!

Gonna try the polish first. If that doesn't work, maybe sand it down, fairly rough to start to try and get some meat off, wetsand, and then polish. The crazy thing is, these stupid windshields are as expensive, if not more, than a full sized car glass windshield!

Vegas Transplant
10-19-2013, 11:27 PM
True.
Try the non-sanding, least aggressive method like Mothers 4 plastics, or the new DP headlight polish which I just saw recently. I use the Mothers from time to time, but will just as soon attempt white rouge and sewn cotton wheels on acrylics, Plexiglas, and lexan.

ScottB
10-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Diamonite indeed ..... use to be a 3 step plexiglass polish system from Novus that was very good too.

allenk4
10-20-2013, 10:49 AM
PlastX is specifically designed for this type of polishing.

Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - clean & polish all clear plastic panels and convertible top windows. (http://www.autogeek.net/meplclplclpo.html)

There are several threads on this forum advocating it.

Deviant Detail
10-20-2013, 11:19 AM
An old school favorite (initially used and still respected by pilots) is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish #10 and Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17. These both work wonders on motorcycle windscreens.