PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice re Using Sonax Perfect Finish

Rmd
10-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Being aggravated by marring in what I believe is pretty soft paint (hood and fenders resprayed about 5 years ago so paint is not OEM on those panels) I threw down the ATM card and bought some SPF. Had been using Menz 4000 or HD Polish for finishing, but want to try out the SPF due its positive comments on this forum.

Instructions on the bottle are to polish surface at low rotating speed (800) rpm for 30 seconds using 15-10 lbs of pressure, then reduce pressure and increase speed to 1200 rpm for 45-60 seconds. I will be using a DA (GG 6) instead, and not a rotary. The instructions are clearly for rotary use.

Question is what is the best approach for using this polish with the DA? Specifically the number of passes, speed, pressure, and pad recommendations that have worked best by users of this product. I understand that each paint is different, and what I am looking for is more of a starting point. My intent is to start the least aggressive approach with a BS blue light polish pad and move up to a lake country white if the blue isn't getting the result I want.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Pureshine
10-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Test spot! I just did a black Escalade and had to try 5 different compounds to get the right combo. Your on the right track just do a test spot on speed 5-6 and do e few passes and see how it looks it your not getting the results you want move up to a more aggressive pad.

Rsurfer
10-19-2013, 06:36 PM
:iagree:A test spot will save a lot of time and aggravation.

Rmd
10-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys. Question was directed toward where to start with the first test spot, and the guidance is appreciated. blue pad didn't really get it done, so i will do a couple small sections with the white flat pad. SPF seems to have a fairly short work time, and if it starts to dry its a bear to remove. Losing the sun here on west coast so after the test spots with white pad I'll call it a day and roll it out in the sun tomorrow morning. Plus its a convenient stopping point now that FSU at Clemson is starting.

Cheers.

Pureshine
10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys. Question was directed toward where to start with the first test spot, and the guidance is appreciated. blue pad didn't really get it done, so i will do a couple small sections with the white flat pad. SPF seems to have a fairly short work time, and if it starts to dry its a bear to remove. Losing the sun here on west coast so after the test spots with white pad I'll call it a day and roll it out in the sun tomorrow morning. Plus its a convenient stopping point now that FSU at Clemson is starting.

Cheers.

I do the hood easiest place to do it.

Rmd
10-19-2013, 08:56 PM
My 45yr old back agrees. Vertical panels and roof usually leads to jacuzzi and painkillers.