PDA

View Full Version : Gm factory CC 10 year Sealant?

PlayDoh
10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a buddy who just bought a 2012 Camaro and I was giving him the pitch on how I can clean and protect his CC (clear coat). He told me it has "3M protection and a CC sealant warrantied for 10 years".
I'm a newb and obviously didn't have an answer for that. He's the type that believes anything, so I didn't even bother suggesting it could still benefit from a detailing and that there are still contaminates on the paint, and further sealant can only help.

This clearly sounds like the old dealership add-ons that do very little, and no where near 10 year maintenance free.

Can anyone add some insight to this product and 'protection'?

Evan.J
10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Junk plain and simple.

You have to keep goin back getting it applied for the warranty to stay valid. They wash it and then spray it on.

Everyone here will tell you it's nothing but a waste of money.

FUNX650
10-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Can anyone add some insight to this product and 'protection'?
YES!...It does sound like Dealership add-ons.

But just stating: "3M protection and CC sealant" could imply a variety of products/services.

So instead of me guessing what this "Plan" entails:
Ask your Buddy to show you the warranty paperwork.
The 3M product(s)...and/or others...should be listed.

I bet He paid a pretty penny for it.
Monies you probably should have been paid for:
Actual Detailing-services rendered...several times over!!!

:)

Bob

zmanjohn
10-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Junk plain and simple.

You have to keep goin back getting it applied for the warranty to stay valid. They wash it and then spray it on.

Everyone here will tell you it's nothing but a waste of money.

:iagree:, I had a friend just purchase a BMW X3, she bought into this plan and there is a guy "Detailer" that has a contract with the dealership that does this service under the dealership add-on. Supposed to be valued at $1,200, but she paid $599.95 for the service. There is a 30 day cancellation policy that I was trying to get her to invoke, but she did not want to do it. She was going to let me read the contact, that sounds very similar, but she keeps forgetting to bring it to me. This guys uses products from First Place Finishes or something like that, which is based out of Charlotte, NC, just down the road. I have called them and they would not give me any details about their products and especially when I was comparing to Cquatz, Opti-coat and others that are sold on AGO. They could not even provide me with any testing results where he was claiming with proper reapplications and maintenance their product was superior. Only thing I found a consumer could purchase was the maintenance products, car wash soaps and various cleaners. I was trying to make a distinction how this compares to the "professional" products we all use and love. If I could get my hands on what they are using I would do a comparison.
She also wanted to have a clear bra installed on a couple of areas and he quoted her another $1,000, but showed her you can buy the pieces you need for under $100, so she did not go with that package.
A good friend a work also bought into this package for his 2010 Camaro, his comment was it was crap. I am trying to talk him into letting me detail and protect it, but it is garage queen and only comes out in nice sunny days, then he washes and puts away. I still want to do a detail and show him what his car could really look like.
Keep trying to educate your buddy and it would be best if like what was mentioned, to get a copy of the contract and find out what was put on his vehicle.
My .02 cents...

PlayDoh
10-19-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll see if he'll let me look at his paper work, but he's pretty disorganized, and I'd suspect his mother has all his paperwork locked away.
I guess things never change, and salesmen are always pitching something useless. It would be nice to know what exactly it is though, since I'm not sure I'd even touch a car/truck with it done. For 1 I wouldn't know how it would react or look after polishing. And second it might void someones warranty.
I'll have to get some education on these products I suppose. I know a bodyshop guy, maybe he'll know something, and better yet spray some and let me work on it.
Thanks again.

supercharged
10-19-2013, 01:27 AM
Maybe dealership now offer Optimum Opti-coat? ;)

cardaddy
10-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Yep same old song and dance. They wipe or spray $9.95 worth of product on a vehicle and tell you it has a warranty till the end of time. PROVIDING you come in several times a year to have it "refreshed". Which of course costs even MORE money.

Not to mention every single time you come in and let the dealers 'detailers' touch your car you keep getting the DISO, time after time after time after time! :eek:

People are so lazy and generally so stupid they believe whatever is being said by the salesman at the time. The truth is they don't want to be BOTHERED with the upkeep on their new car so they figure "Well by golly, the dealership has this package that will protect me forever and all I EVER have to do is wash the car." And they BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

What makes it worse, is when someone else comes along and tries to educated them on the matter they keep making excuses or pretend they know better. :dunno:

Romans5.8
10-19-2013, 09:47 PM
The worst part about that stuff is that it's only a 10 year warranty. Which sounds like a lot; but just washing it now and then, not letting contaminants pile on and waxing it once in a blue moon will keep clear coat for 10 years easy. Especially if it's garage kept.

I never put much faith in any of those 'protectants' the dealers offer.

ShaunD
10-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Agree.
As far as new Camaros go, anyone that has one should at the least have it treated for iron, clayed and sealed up tight or coated. I was taking some paint readings on some at a local new car lot and most of them, especially the yellow ones, had rust spots all over the rear hips/quarters. Can pretty much guarantee a dealership would know how to treat this least aggressively, if at all, before doing paint warranty package.
Ignorance is bliss for the majority of people out there. :)