PDA

View Full Version : Iron-X and similar products

SR99
10-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I've not tried any of these products, so I could use a little help on applicability, and have a few questions.

Do these iron accumulations adhere only to poorly maintained paint, and if you car is always well maintained it's less applicable?

Do you just use these products on the side panels behind the wheels (where brake dust would deposit) or do you do the entire car under the assumption that brake dust from other cars is airborne as you drive and will also adhere on all surfaces?

Do the "purple bleeding wheel cleaners" perform the same function so you could get double duty out of them (or vise versa) instead of buying single purpose products (I'm a fan of multi-tasker products)

What's the theoretical danger in not using these products (after all, no one used them for decades, and there are probably many other metals that get onto our paint but there's no special product for those)? Is it just the potential that an iron particle may penetrate the paint somehow and cause rusting?

thanks, and I may have some followup questions depending on the answers.

jeof1000
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
.... and maybe its not available in other country not not slot of people or other detailers know about the product..... just adding to the question above....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

af90
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Iron accumulation occurs from rail dust, environmental factors such as near factories. Some people will use IronX on wheels as well as paint.

Personally I do not see ironX type products as necessary as something like claying. I see it as an additional thing you can do that certainly doesn't hurt but it's not as large as a detriment if someone never does it. Plus I can't stand the smell of the stuff...

rwright
10-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Not all iron dissolving products are safe on paint. Please look at each very thoroughly prior to using in this manner. I only use IronX on all surfaces. When it comes to wheels, the only one I've used that cleans similar IronX is 1Z Einszett Color Tech. The rest fall short and usually require multiple applications or an acid wash. I have had a few cases where an acid wash was required after IronX because there was simply too much baked on brake dust.

IronX and similar iron dissolving products just make claying easier. Prior to these products you would spend a little more time and elbow grease removing embedded contaminants.

lawrenceSA
10-18-2013, 04:27 AM
The only 2 products I have used are Carpro Ironx and Autofiness Iron Out

I will use these on wheels, glass and paintwork and spray down the entire vehicle as the iron contamination lands everywhere on the car, as has been evidenced by the bleeding effect from all part of the vehicles where I have sprayed it.

Secondly I do see a need for this type of product over and above something like clay for 3 main reasons.

1. Clay only removes the part of the iron particle protruding from above the surrounding paint whereas the iron removers will dissolve the whole piece of iron, releasing even the bits embedded IN the paint.

2. By removing the iron with a dedicated iron remover you minimise the risk of trapping a hard iron particle in the clay and dragging it across your paint work leading to a deep scratch which will take more time/money (and the customers clear coat) to remove.

3. The removal of the iron products before claying means my clay stays cleaner for longer and this then mitigates some of the cost of the iron remover to start with.

In terms of using a wheel cleaner that also bleeds on your paint, I tried using Sonax FE wheel cleaner once on the paint just for the heck of it, and whilst it did work, it is nowhere as powerful as the dedicated iron removers. To the best of my knowledge it does contain the same active ingredient, just in a much lower concentration.

PiPUK
10-18-2013, 08:59 AM
It is important to also remember that the whole point behind these products is to remove iron but to do so with a neutral product. Iron-X started it and remains good to this promise. Not all the bleeding products are the same and at least one mentioned was quite acidic when I tested and looked at the MSDS and one has to question the point in using it rather than using a much cheaper acidic cleaner.