PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever thought of this

K38chomponTHIS
06-20-2007, 03:25 PM
It's kind of common knowledge that sealant lasts long, while providing decent shine, and that on the other hand, carnauba doesn't last so long, but provides a better shine. I've heard of people applying the sealant first for durability and then wax over it for that wet shine look.

Has anybody ever heard of or thought of applying the carnauba wax FIRST, and then sealing it with a sealant, sort of locking in the shine properties of the carnauba and making it last much longer with sealant over the top of it? Anyone think this would work?

trl2112
06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
I think there is a "bonding" issue of sealant over wax.

budman3
06-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes, the sealant needs a clean surface to bond to. The wax will lay on top of the paint thus the sealant can't bond onto the paint. Essentially, yes, you can do it but there is no point and you'll just be wasting your products and theres a good chance you'll get streaking. The sealant will just wipe right off or wash away in no time.

However, Optimum Opti-Seal, I guess, you can apply over a wax and lock in that look....

Tandis1
06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Should glaze be after wax or before?

felthove
06-20-2007, 03:50 PM
glaze before

Torsion Tool
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
does that apply to acrylic sealants as well as waxes? Would glaze be advisable before Klasse AIO & SG, for example?

sparkie
06-21-2007, 04:44 AM
does that apply to acrylic sealants as well as waxes? Would glaze be advisable before Klasse AIO & SG, for example?
AIO is a cleaner, so it will remove the glaze.

froggyman
06-21-2007, 04:59 AM
Have been hearing about the bonding issue of sealant over wax.

But also heard about ppl applying AW which is spray sealant over wax surface. It so confusing now:confused:
So now, question is ...will the AW be washed away by just a rain wash?? Feed back please from gurus.
Thanks a lot

sparkie
06-21-2007, 05:30 AM
The only thing I can think of that #951 want stick to is PB spray and wipe. I try to wash my truck every two week, and top with AW. It beads every time. I been busy the last 6 weeks and yesterday was the first time I washed my truck. I don't know how many rains has hit it. Maybe 5 or 6 times. As soon as I put the water on it, it started beeding. So no #951 will not wash away in the rain.

ScottB
06-21-2007, 06:04 AM
there is a bonding issue as offered. Several newer spray sealants like Zaino CS and Optiseal are suppose to be able to lock in the carnauba look. Until now, its a mixed offering however. Some have reported haze, and others say the mundane sealant look overtakes the wet look below it. I say keep trying !