PDA

View Full Version : Your Definition of a Basic Exterior Detail

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

The Critic
10-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Hey guys,

What do you consider to be a basic exterior detail?

Lately I have done a few of these for friends/family and I am starting to think that I can charge $75 for them and not feel bad about it.

But I am curious what you folks offer to your clients. Most of my friends/family are only interested in, as they should be, in getting their cars cleaned up and protected for 4-6 months.

Here's my process:

- Wash Vehicle
- Clean Wheels
- Apply Iron-X Paste
- Use Nanoskin med-grade mitt
- Apply Menzerna Power Lock
- Dress Tires with Opti-Bond

It usually takes me 3-4 hours to do the car.

Thoughts?

dwlinc23
10-16-2013, 05:55 AM
I charge $90 for a basic, which is my Level I. So yours sounds about right.

ken tuep
10-16-2013, 06:58 AM
Try to calculate your cost of materials, including water, and wear and tear on machines and pads, as well as your chemicals.

Then figure out the lowest $ amount you'll work for hourly. Then see how it adds up, don't sell yourself or products too cheap.

My basic, although not very basic, goes for $125. But that's including vacuuming and wiping down interior and windows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

GenesisCoupe
10-16-2013, 07:19 AM
My basic detail, which is $120 for most cars includes;

Wash with ONR
Clay/mitt
wheels/tire shine after
Sealant (BFWD) via PC

Interior-

Vacumm
wipe down dashboard/console
windows
leather spray (clean/condition aio)
Air freshener (CG sprays)

I may polish the exhaust tips if i like you or the tips really need it.

VP Mark
10-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Basic exterior you say?

Onr wash
Optimum car wax
Opti bond tire gel
Hyper dressing on fender wells
Windows

$60 - $80 depending on vehicle size. Takes an hour +-

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

The Critic
10-16-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys. I am not planning to officially go into business, but it's be nice if I could just charge a few bucks for my time (to buy lunch or more tools).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

WRAPT C5Z06
10-16-2013, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't clay unless polishing.

The Critic
10-16-2013, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't clay unless polishing.

I understand the issue with marring, but on most paints, they're not in perfect condition so any marring is a mute point. I am more concerned about getting the surface as clean as possible so that the sealant is given the best chance to bond.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-16-2013, 08:55 AM
I understand the issue with marring, but on most paints, they're not in perfect condition so any marring is a mute point. I am more concerned about getting the surface as clean as possible so that the sealant is given the best chance to bond.

As long as you're aware of possible marring, you nailed it! :dblthumb2:

Klasse Act
10-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Wash, dry, clean the tires and wheels, dress the tires, clay the paint and apply a good AIO.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Pureshine
10-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Here are my two basic exterior washes. and for marring I have not noticed any from nanoskin mitt when use with enough detail spray. For black cars I will clay after I explain to the customer it may cause marring but prefer not to clay black unless doing paint correction. I have them sign off when I'm doing a black car and claying.

HAND WASH

Time Required: 1-2 hour Depends on car size.

Details: Hand wash and blow dried
: Wash wheel
: Dress tires
: Wipe down door jams
: Clean windows
Car Suv Full Size
$35 $45 $55

PREMIUM HAND WASH AND WAX/SEALANT

Time Required: 2-3 hours depends on car size

Details: Hand wash and Blow dried
: Clay bar to remove contaminates from the paint
: Apply wax or sealant
: Clean door jams
: Clean windows and mirrors
: Wash wheels
: Dress tires

Car Suv Full Size
$80 $95 $105

Coyote33
10-16-2013, 02:53 PM
My exterior only is listed on the website for $150 for cars and $175 for SUV/Vans and takes 2 to 3 hours per vehicle

Foam Cannon
Rinse
ONR
Clay/Nano
clean/dress wheel wells
wheels cleaned and dressed
tires cleaned/dressed
door jambs cleaned
windows cleaned
black plastic with poorboys
machine AIO

I only detail on weekends and hate doing just the basic so I price it where I can easily up-sell to a package deal.

Harry Da Hamster
10-16-2013, 04:18 PM
The problem is using the word "basic" in your marketing. People would perceive "basic" as a $20 wash and wax or a drive thru car wash. If you're charging more than $50, you should never use the word "basic" even though it's your most basic. Using the word "basic" makes it an up-hill battle for you and selling your product. It's not what you perceive it to be, it's what the customer perceives it to be.

Sorry i can't help you with pricing since i'm not "professional", but i have a marketing degree.

KillaCam
10-16-2013, 04:54 PM
The problem is using the word "basic" in your marketing. People would perceive "basic" as a $20 wash and wax or a drive thru car wash. If you're charging more than $50, you should never use the word "basic" even though it's your most basic. Using the word "basic" makes it an up-hill battle for you and selling your product. It's not what you perceive it to be, it's what the customer perceives it to be.

Sorry i can't help you with pricing since i'm not "professional", but i have a marketing degree.

I agree. IMO claying isn't basic. I would use the words like "express", possibly.

statusdetailing
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't do basic exteriors alone very often, because I try to sell a interior/exterior package to make more money that day. If I do a basic exterior, I generally charge around $120 (For a small car). 3 hrs of work @ $40 per hour.

Wash
Clay
AIO (D151)
Tires and trim dressed
Windows.

Very basic but makes a pretty dramatic difference.