PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars

Pages : [1] 2

actionjacksonjr
10-15-2013, 08:19 PM
i've just started getting into detailing. i have a silver 2012 chrysler 300. im using meguiars products. im curious to know what people might think about meguiars products as they are and as they compare to other products

Bill1234
10-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Meguiars has good consumer line of products. However alot of the professional stuff like m105 is popular on this forum

CRyan
10-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I think like most product lines, there are the good, the OK, and the bad. Knowing what products you are using would help. Meguiar's clay, car wash, compounds, polishes and pads are generally all good to great products. There are certainly better trim protectants, tire dressings, waxes and sealants out there.

Evan.J
10-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Well they have been around for a long time and have a great track record so I would say they are great. Do they have some things that aren't so great sure but any company does. Just do your research read product reviews ask questions before making a purchase and you shouldn't have any issues.

Welcome to the forum btw!

actionjacksonjr
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I think meguiars nxt gen tire shine is really great

davey g-force
10-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Meguiars products make up most of my detailing arsenal. I'd rate their products as good to great. For the price, they are unbeatable IMO.

mswerb
10-15-2013, 08:55 PM
I use a lot of Meguiar's as well and finding on local parts stores shelves is usually pretty easy.

Pureshine
10-15-2013, 09:14 PM
:buffing:Great products I use lots of their stuff in my shop

The Guz
10-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I use their stuff all the time. Like someone said just do some research on products to get the right ones to suit your needs. You can also head over to their forum and research as well.

cardaddy
10-15-2013, 11:07 PM
For off the shelf stuff get the Meguiar's UC/UP/UW trio. That is Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax (it can be bought as a paste or liquid, I like the liquid). Also you'll want to get the Megs UQW Ultimate Quick Wax as it's great for between full waxing and can even be used as a quick detailer. (Although they have a quick detailer in the ultimate line I believe.)

Off the shelf shampoo, Megs Gold. Of course there is also a shampoo/wax in the ultimate line that is a yellow looking liquid. I've used it long ago and may still have some sitting around somewhere, (would be decent on wheels and stuff). Speaking of these shampoo's, look at Target for Megs Gold it's something crazy like around $8 bucks where in the auto stores it's more like $11. :(

And of course the Megs clay is excellent.

goodinblack
10-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Imo

For a person with some detailing knowledge...... megs is the lowest you should go.

The have very good stuff.

davey g-force
10-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Also you'll want to get the Megs UQW Ultimate Quick Wax as it's great for between full waxing and can even be used as a quick detailer.

Have you tried this?

Megs actually don't recommend it (they say to use the UQD instead) but I've often wondered if it would be okay - especially for very light dust.

Shortspark
10-16-2013, 06:26 AM
A couple years ago I did a little experiment for myself. I took three lines of products that could be purchased on line and also in local stores to see which were easiest to work with, lasted the longest, looked the best and represented the best value. The three were Duragloss, Meguiars and Griot's Garage. The winner overall was Meguiars. It was not a scientific test and certainly very subjective but the one thing that tipped to Meguiars favor was the staggering number of products they had. There was virtually nothing in the world of detailing that they did not address except a good electric polisher (Griot's 6" wins hands down).

Meguiars maintained a certain degree of excellence in their entire line of products that was not matched by anyone else. Having said all this, I find that on my "Diamond White" car, Duragloss is my overall personal favorite. I think their shampoo (901) is the best when you factor in its use in a foam gun in addition to its traditional "two bucket" method. It is cheap too. AquaWax is slightly better to my eyes on my car than Meguiar's UQW and much more versatile as it performs as well as a "topper" but better as a QD and drying aid when the car is wet. And Duragloss trumps all others with their excellent variety of sealants. Griot came in third place. Not that their products were bad, on the contrary, they all performed well but most were a little pricey and did not represent much of a value.

Besides the sheer number of detailing products, another reason Meguiars won over Duragloss (at least on paper) is that Duragloss is harder to find and some of their products can only be purchased on line. Where I live, the Carquest and Napa stores would have to make special orders for you as they carry only a limited selection of Duragloss products on their shelves. Most of Meguiar's line can be found locally and even at places like Target and WalMart. This is a huge benefit because although Duragloss can be found locally, their product line in stores is incomplete. For example, I simply can not find Duragloss 253 tire/rubber dressing locally but my second favorite, Meguiar's Eundurance Gel, is everywhere (and usually on sale).

If you want to stick with one manufacturer for product compatibility, good performance, value and the convenience of local purchase, Meguiars is hard to beat.

FUNX650
10-16-2013, 07:07 AM
My penchant, (as well as many other AGO members), for Meguiar's product-lines is clearly expressed in this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/61876-official-meguiar-s-crew-fanatics-chat-thread.html

Without a doubt Marc...

"As I have always treasured using Meguiar's products...
I'd treasure being added to the: "Team Meguiar's" list" !!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/defendingmeguiar_s22.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/56822)

Thanks!!

:)

Bob...FUNX725

You, actionjacksonjr, ought to give a thought towards:
Becoming a member of "Team Meguiar's!!

Bob

Dogfather
10-16-2013, 07:18 AM
When you need something in a pinch and need it OTC, you usually can't go wrong.