PDA

View Full Version : Abrasive free paint cleaners?

Pages : [1] 2

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Are there any other abrasive free cleaners like lime prime lite out there? I am not talking about non-abrasive but abrasive free.

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Are there any other abrasive free cleaners like lime prime lite out there? I am not talking about non-abrasive but abrasive free.
Hi lkotsios...

Even if "lime prime lite" is, indeed, abrasive-free...
And...If there were more products that, too, would be as such...
What applicators/removal-"tools" are you going to be using in this type of cleaning-process?

Please...I don't want to get started on chemical-"levelers" vs. abrasive-levelers! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hand.gif

Bob

Nick McKees37
10-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Here's a couple of the more popular non-abrasive ("abrasive free") paint cleaners:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/klasalpolsea.html)

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html)

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Abrasive free and non-abrasive are not synonomous they have 2 different meanings.

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi lkotsios...

Even if "lime prime lite" is, indeed, abrasive-free...
And...If there were more products that, too, would be as such...
What applicators/removal-"tools" are you going to be using in this type of cleaning-process?

Please...I don't want to get started on chemical-"levelers" vs. abrasive-levelers! http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/hand.gif

Bob
Application by hand or PC. Thats how I use LPL now.

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Application by hand or PC. Thats how I use LPL now.
OK...
Do you consider these "tools" to be: non-abrasive?

Bob

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 11:05 AM
I guess any form of friction is abrasive to some extent. I am talking about composition of cleaner if there are abrasives in formula. Water on its own is not abrasive but include friction upon application to car surface I believe you have abrasion.

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Abrasive free and non-abrasive are not synonomous they have 2 different meanings.

I guess any form of friction is abrasive to some extent.
I am talking about composition of cleaner if there are abrasives in formula.
Water on its own is not abrasive but include friction upon application to car surface I believe you have abrasion.
Abrasive-free:
-A product containing no substances/materials such as: sandpaper, pumice, emery, or: "abrasives 'common' to"
compounds/polishes...that are used for cleaning, grinding, smoothing, or polishing.
And, thereby, not causing any abrasion; and/or: not having the tendency to abrade.

Non-abrasive:
A substance/materials that do not cause abrasion; or prevents abrasion from happening.
Not having the tendency to abrade.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

If a certain product is deemed to be: Abrasive(s)-free...
Then...
Would this certain product, in and of itself, be: Non-abrasive?

Bob

Dogfather
10-15-2013, 11:42 AM
I've read on another site that sells P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser that it does not contain abrasive particles. Maybe Bob can confirm that. It also received many positive reviews.

swanicyouth
10-15-2013, 12:23 PM
I've read on another site that sells P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser that it does not contain abrasive particles. Maybe Bob can confirm that. It also received many positive reviews.

I believe it has kaolin clay which is more of an exfoliant than an abrasive, also is a "filler".

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I believe it has kaolin clay which is more of an exfoliant than an abrasive, also is a "filler".
Its abrasive then.

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 12:52 PM
I've read on another site that sells P21s Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser that it does not contain abrasive particles.
Maybe Bob can confirm that. It also received many positive reviews.
Hard to confirm, one way or another, without an MSDS to see if it contains any, let me call them: "burnishing substances/materials".

Although this product is called a "Pure Polish" (I don't know if it's as "pure" as Meguiar's #7)...

-It is said that it's capable of removing embedded debris and other contaminates; imperfections, oxidation, old wax, and sealant;
-and: will gently remove swirl marks, water spots, pollution residues, microscopic dirt and film that get imbedded in the paint or clearcoat.

It will do all of this while "buffing" the paint to a high shine.
(My above mention of burnishing seems apropos here)

-All of this, mind you, without using abrasives?!?!
Goes back to what I previously questioned/said about chemical-"levelers" vs. abrasive-levelers.

And: Is kaolin clay/calcined clay/(or its ilk) an able-bodied "burnishing substance/material"?

Hydrocarbon solvents:
Now they'll clean your paint...and your whistle!!

:)

Bob

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Its abrasive then.
From an earlier posting of mine:

Note: These "clays" come in a variety of grades, through different refining processes…
With Calcined Kaolin Clay being considered the most refined (best) grade.

What is Calcined Kaolin Clay?
- It is an anhydrous (water/moisture-free; dried) aluminium silicate produced
from the natural clay mineral Kaolinite.
-Calcined: heated to temperatures 650 C, and above.
-The chemical formula for pure clay (mineral name Kaolinite) is Al2O3 2SiO2 2H2O
- It is inert (neutral), and has a high silicon content.
-Has a porous structure

What are some of its purposes:
-Improves structural strength, good dispersion, chemical stability, corrosion resistance, gloss,
enhances luster, chemical engineered ceramics (such as in brakes), impact resistance, durability,
heat and weather resistance, opacity...as when one coat of paint hides wall-blemishes/other colors,
diffuses light transmission, adsorption, it can partially replace (supplant) things like: TiO2 (titanium white)---for whiteness...
and alumina… thereby improving product quality and reduce production costs...directly cutting monetary output
for costlier materials, (<<<my: Pork/Ground round analogy(?)), reinforcing, electrical insulator, tear resistance,
tensile strength, aging resistance, solubility enhancement, abrasion resistance, smoothness, insulating properties,
fire resistance, barrier properties, mildly abrasive formulations for metal cleaning compounds and car polishes,
modify rheology, stain resistance, carrier for active ingredients, "nano’s", chemical-interaction for polymer structures…
among many others.

Being an "ingredient" of: mildly abrasive formulations...is just one function of Kaolin Clay(s), and their ilk.

:)

Bob

Dogfather
10-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Its abrasive then.

Someone should tell Polished Bliss it contains abrasive particles then.

swanicyouth
10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
I've use it many times. It's not abrasive and has little if any cut. You can go back and forth with semantics regarding "non abrasive" and "abrasive free", but all that really matters is what the actual product does.

Not to mention, it's really cool when it does this:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/16/huseby5u.jpg