PDA

View Full Version : What's with the "3.0" nomenclature?

Pages : [1] 2

Inzane
10-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Can someone please elaborate on the history of the Wolfgang products and the revision numbering/nomenclature?

I believe DGPS was one the first widespread products from Wolfgang to hit the market and I seem to recall there was an initial version that came out. It may have had some issues. It later got updated and the new formula was called "3.0". I was only partially aware of what was going on at the time but thought it was odd that I didn't hear of a 2.0 (aka Mark II, rev 2). I figured maybe they had a 2nd version with only limited distribution and maybe they updated to a 3rd formula just that quickly.

Fast forward a bit and they're calling Finishing Glaze and Total Swirl Remover "3.0" as well. Hmmm... ok, presumably they updated those formulas as well, but again I don't recall 3 iterations, just 2. Odd.

Now, we have the brand new Uber Compound, which as far as I know has come out recenty for the first time ever, and it too is labelled............"3.0".

What gives? :confused:

(Has this become a running inside joke with the company or something?)

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Accuracy in labeling seems to be lacking, companies just slap on what ever they want on the labels. They think we are dummies.

Choop145
10-15-2013, 10:55 AM
I think its about marketing. Showing that these products go together well. Aka buy them all for best finishing results. They don't want a consumer second guessing if the 3.0 is ok to use with a 2.0.
Jmo

goodinblack
10-15-2013, 12:52 PM
DP, Pinnacle, WG, Marine, etc..... are basically all in house brands...... or brands owned by Autogeek/PBMG.

Not really a big deal imo...... maybe just trying to bring all the products up to date as "3.0" like ^^^^ said.

cleanmycorolla
10-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Accuracy in labeling seems to be lacking, companies just slap on what ever they want on the labels. They think we are dummies.

Welcome to pretty much and company ever ever ever ever ever. 'Aint just a detailing thing!

goodinblack
10-15-2013, 03:06 PM
True.

Like we all really need a new iPhone every 6 months.

FUNX650
10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Trying to follow "Wolfgang's decision" to designate their products with the: 3.0 nomenclature...

Is far easier on me than, say:

Traipsing along and trying to understand Menzerna's (seemingly) "method to their madness"
for the nomenclature of their products that they've introduced all over the Globe.

Then there's Meguiar's.
And how about those Chemical Guys!

:)

Bob

custmsprty
10-15-2013, 04:03 PM

What was it that Forrest Gump said?

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Stupid is as stupid does!

goodinblack
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
The problem with CG is not nomenclature as such as it is redundant products

I am in the process of buying soap.

I still don't know which one I want. Lol

goodinblack
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM

Lifes like a box of condoms?

lkotsios
10-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Life is a bunch of waxes?

cardaddy
10-15-2013, 10:22 PM
True.

Like we all really need a new iPhone every 6 months.

Like we can all really BUY a new iPhone every 6 months! I've had two phones of mine, plus two of my kids fail in less than the 24 month contract period over the last 18 months. Well his 2nd one was because he dropped it in water and we 'lost' it so we could turn in an insurance claim and be HONORED to pay $199 for a new one.

The kids first one I raised enough heck to where they finally let me do an upgrade from a basic phone to a HTC OneX even though his contract wasn't up.

But the two I had, 1 was an iPhone, the other was a Samsung S3 both failed completely in under 24 months. My only choice was to get a refurb replacement. It only lasted about 3 months and failed to even boot up. I told them I'd just like to buy a NEW phone but they wanted $600 and a contract breakage fee. The replacement ran so hot you could keep your hands warm while climbing Mt. Everest in a blizzard with it! Lasted just a couple months.

Fast forward a couple months and there I was again, no working phone, no CHANCE of even a refurb of that model anymore (thank God) and being told I couldn't buy a new one because I still had 10 months till my contract was up. (Keep in mind that I've had uninterrupted service with AT&T on a business account with 4 lines since 1986.) :eek:

I had to go crazy on them and ended up using my wife's 'upgrade' to get a darned new phone!

CG's website is about the most byzantine thing I've ever seen in my life! Sure steers me away from there. :rolleyes:

Although I think they could have somebody give their labels a bit of a face lift / er total makeover. ;)

I do understand the 3.0 thing as it ties the product lineup together. Could just as well be bronze, gold, silver, platinum like say you'd get for a (of all things) sealant at your local dealership. :laughing:

Perhaps the 3.0 (to them) is an attempt in making the buyer feel as if he's getting the latest and greatest itineration. :dunno: (Although it surely does sound like you might could step back to the 2.0 version if say you wanted to save a couple of bucks.) ;)

Romans5.8
10-16-2013, 09:28 AM

No kidding! As a Newbie, Chemical Guys is probably the most daunting brand that I've seen. They have tons of videos (that only have voice on one channel because despite using a high end DSLR rig to record the videos; they evidently decided to buy a radio shack mono lapel mic at the last minute for audio), but there's so much crap for so many different scenarios! Forget it!

I went with Meguiars UC and Ultimate Polish. We'll see what it does and what it can't do then figure out what I need from 'the other guys'. :P

goodinblack
10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Good reads. ^^^^

;)