PDA

View Full Version : What to follow up after Meguiar's M105

Auggie
10-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I bought a used 5 year old BMW that previously lived out in the desert and thus has many issues with its original white paint: swirls and long, horizontal streaks along raised edges, and a few spots of color "blotches" which appear as high concentrations of intense color noticeable only at just the right direct sunlight reflection angle (could these be clear coat separation issues, even though there is no physically perceptible change in the paint surface height relatively to the surrounding paint? I found them only on the top of the trunk lid).

As I have 2 other cars that have similar paint issues (including "clouding" of the paint on the hood on my girlfriends white 2008 300), I'm investing in a Flex 3401 kit and will start compounding with Meguiar's M105 on Lake Country orange pad.

But my internet research seems to diverge as far as what the next finer polish to step to next, with most "swirl removing" threads simply concentrating on one compound/technique, with one person suggesting sticking with M105 for the second/final stage but using a final finishing pad (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/2646748-achieving-a-flawless-finish-with-just-meguiars-m105-and-a-dual-action-polisher.html). I won't be following this path, so could I go straight to a finishing polish, such as Meguiar's M205 or Menzerna SF 4500, using an LC red pad, or should I go with 3 stages with the intermediate using a cutting polish like as Menzerna Intense Polish IP 2000 on an LC white pad?

TIA!

Rsurfer
10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
I bought a used 5 year old BMW that previously lived out in the desert and thus has many issues with its original white paint: swirls and long, horizontal streaks along raised edges, and a few spots of color "blotches" which appear as high concentrations of intense color noticeable only at just the right direct sunlight reflection angle (could these be clear coat separation issues, even though there is no physically perceptible change in the paint surface height relatively to the surrounding paint? I found them only on the top of the trunk lid).

As I have 2 other cars that have similar paint issues (including "clouding" of the paint on the hood on my girlfriends white 2008 300), I'm investing in a Flex 3401 kit and will start compounding with Meguiar's M105 on Lake Country orange pad.

But my internet research seems to diverge as far as what the next finer polish to step to next, with most "swirl removing" threads simply concentrating on one compound/technique, with one person suggesting sticking with M105 for the second/final stage but using a final finishing pad (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/2646748-achieving-a-flawless-finish-with-just-meguiars-m105-and-a-dual-action-polisher.html). I won't be following this path, so could I go straight to a finishing polish, such as Meguiar's M205 or Menzerna SF 4500, using an LC red pad, or should I go with 3 stages with the intermediate using a cutting polish like as Menzerna Intense Polish IP 2000 on an LC white pad?

TIA!

:postpics:I'm concern about the blotches and clouding of the paint. Sounds like clear coat failure.

KS_Detailing
10-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Megs 205 using LC white pad :props:

Auggie
10-14-2013, 08:42 PM
:postpics:I'm concern about the blotches and clouding of the paint. Sounds like clear coat failure.

Hehe, well, the thread is not all useless because there are the typical swirled paint issues (which is the first half of my question) along with a couple blotches (and yes, I'm concerned about those too!).

I will post pix of the blotches as soon as I am able because I'd really like to know if this is a correctable issue without resorting to repainting (though, I'm planning to replace the rear bumper, so getting the trunk like repainted won't be that bad).

Auggie
10-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Megs 205 using LC white pad :props:

Poifect! It's saves me time, effort, and more importantly, money!

The BMW and 300 are daily drivers and I will top them off with a synthetic sealant/wax system, like Zaino AIO + Z-2.

Auggie
10-14-2013, 08:53 PM
...including "clouding" of the paint on the hood on my girlfriends white 2008 300...

I think this issue is paint oxidation. I didn't really examine it; just noticed the loss of gloss around the raised areas of the hood while driving her car the other day. That's when I asked if she ever had the car waxed in her two years of ownership and she said "never."

KillaCam
10-14-2013, 09:44 PM
M205..

Auggie
10-14-2013, 10:06 PM
M205..

Concurrence is a good thing!

Disconnected
10-14-2013, 11:00 PM
M205 on a white LC pad.

hernandez.art13
10-14-2013, 11:03 PM
If you want you could even jewel with M205 and a non cutting pad.

After using M205 a white pad.

So:
M205, white LC pad
Then:
M205, non cutting pad

From my understanding. Could be wrong :dunno:

jmfp
10-14-2013, 11:33 PM
There are so many different combinations of pads & products that produce great results. You may be happy with the finish just after the orange pad with 105. It all depends on how the paint reacts to that combo.

I do use 105 as a second step on some paints. I have cut with 105 & a microfiber pad & tried to clear the haze up with 205 and a white pad. That didn't quite clear it up. I switched to 105 & a white pad. That did the trick.

If there is a haze left over then 205 & a white pad should clear it up. If not, play with some other combos.