PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good way to start my business?

cherokeedawg240
10-14-2013, 07:32 PM
As yall know Ive been planning a detailing business but haven't for what ever reason. Mainly fear of screwing up which Im getting over lol.

I am going to start on the said offering basic wash and wax and basic interior cleaning. Just very basic then as I learn by taking classes and and practicing on my car I will upgrade my detailing. How does this sound?

andy2485
10-14-2013, 07:39 PM
whats basic? you need to be specific, especially to your potential customers

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
10-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Take classes and practice on your own car before you start a business. Just my 2 cents.

garyg7133
10-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Take classes, read every article here, ask questions, get Mike Phillips' book, read it, research your products and try on your own car(s) before you ever touch a client's car. Screw up your car, you deal with yourself. Screw up a client's car, well.....

Evan.J
10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Take classes, read every article here, ask questions, get Mike Phillips' book, read it, research your products and try on your own car(s) before you ever touch a client's car. Screw up your car, you deal with yourself. Screw up a client's car, well.....

:iagree:

Plus get Renny Doyles Book and read that book from to back then read it again and mark it up with all things that you feel you want to remember. Mine is beat up and marked all over and I refer to it often.

Practice practice and practice get your process down to where you are comfortable with everything that you will be doing.

cherokeedawg240
10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Ive been strongly considering finishing my auto body degree since they teach glass repair and detailing in it

Black's Magic
10-15-2013, 12:41 PM

:iagree:

Plus get Renny Doyles Book and read that book from to back then read it again and mark it up with all things that you feel you want to remember. Mine is beat up and marked all over and I refer to it often.

Practice practice and practice get your process down to where you are comfortable with everything that you will be doing.

If you are referring to Renny Doyle's "How to start a home based detailing business" it is a great book which covers a lot of information on the business side. It was a big help for us.

Flash Gordon
10-15-2013, 12:54 PM
As yall know Ive been planning a detailing business but haven't for what ever reason. Mainly fear of screwing up which Im getting over lol.

I am going to start on the said offering basic wash and wax and basic interior cleaning. Just very basic then as I learn by taking classes and and practicing on my car I will upgrade my detailing. How does this sound?

I was actually not aware of your new business plan. Never assume that people are familiar with your circumstances

Sounds like the same way the rest of us started

Black's Magic
10-15-2013, 01:01 PM

I wouldn't start offering services until you are sure of your work and fully understand all aspects of detailing (cleaning, compounding, polishing, and waxing, clay bar, etc.) There are so many things that detailers do that even someone who really takes care of their car doesn't. It has been my experience that not many people are going to want basic services, that's why they call. Most people want you to correct what they have neglected for years. People who don't take care of their stuff will still be picky when they are paying for it to be done. Start with your own, family members, etc. If you want more info on how we did it, let me know.

VP Mark
10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Great advice so far.

Only thing I would add is fine a line of products, or a combination of products and STICK TO THEM. Don't be drawn away by every new product out there. Get a lineup and master it.

thebamboo23
10-15-2013, 03:28 PM
make a step-by-step list on a full correction. make it very detailed

do at least 1 full correction (wash,clay,compound,polish,seal) a week and take notes on every little step you do. see what you did and read online about what others do.. dont even think about making money yet, just learn.. maybe ask for a few bucks for your time and effort but this is for you to learn

document your work and post it up for feedback. get some junk hoods and push the limits, i.e. down pressure, aggressive pad/compound, wet sand with different level grits, burn through paint on purpose, etc..

you dont need a lot of products.. you need specific products for what youre gonna go against.

there are tons of people on youtube that have great how-tos, other have time lapse of a 12 hour correction, and so on..

what products/tools do you have now?

wecomeclean
10-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Most people want you to correct what they have neglected for years. People who don't take care of their stuff will still be picky when they are paying for it to be done.So you should need to learn a little bit.

Black's Magic
10-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Most people want you to correct what they have neglected for years. People who don't take care of their stuff will still be picky when they are paying for it to be done.So you should need to learn a little bit.

This is verbatim what I said. Either we share a brain or you quoted my post and forgot to make your comment? Feed back please

Kengo123
11-01-2013, 01:55 AM

Nice lol

Bill1234
11-01-2013, 03:40 PM
heres where things get iffy. You need to be specific what you do or are doing with the vehicle. Put it in writing, also, one word. CONTRACT. make a contract (in writing) so that the client can sign it to see what they are doing