PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up Badly - Tons Of Work Now :(

KneeDragr
10-14-2013, 10:05 AM
So I detailed my car yesterday and left my wife's brand new Volt sit outside. When I was ready to pull her car into to garage, I noticed it was covered in bird crap so I quickly rinsed it. Unfortunately it was late and I didnt dry it, thinking it would be fine but today,

WATERSPOTS! All over the car. Ug, now I have a ton of work to do. I washed a panel in Dawn, didnt do a thing, so I clayed it, which removed about 1/2 the appearance of them. So I whipped out the Griots and did a test spot with Blackfire GEP and that took them off easy. Looks like I will need to do the whole car like that, then re-seal with Wet Diamond.

Wife is out of town, there is no way I can get it done before she gets home at 2:30 but hopefully she will understand and it will look great by tonight.

Mike Phillips
10-14-2013, 10:07 AM
At least they are not Type II Crater Etchings...

That's never a good thing...

:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
10-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Water spots you say...
Did you leave the wetted-down Volt plugged-in all night?!?!

J/K...Glad you are not having any difficulties removing these water spots.

:)

Bob

dcjredline
10-14-2013, 10:31 AM
After you detailed it did you not put wax on it? How did water spots etch in the paint so bad overnight in a garage?

KneeDragr
10-14-2013, 10:54 AM
After you detailed it did you not put wax on it? How did water spots etch in the paint so bad overnight in a garage?

Sorry, I detailed MY car, my wifes' car got the spots.

GOOD NEWS!

A strong Dawn wash took them off. I used about 1/4 bottle of Dawn, I rubbed a bit more than normal both washing and drying and there is no sign of them, windows are clear also.

Going to go re-seal and pick my wife up at the airport on time, car looking good as new!

GenesisCoupe
10-14-2013, 11:00 AM
It sounded like your wife was going to rip you in half if they weren't gone by 2:30PM precisely lol

You must have some hard water for the water spots to be so visible.

BlackHawk
10-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Sorry, I detailed MY car, my wifes' car got the spots.

GOOD NEWS!

A strong Dawn wash took them off. I used about 1/4 bottle of Dawn, I rubbed a bit more than normal both washing and drying and there is no sign of them, windows are clear also.

Going to go re-seal and pick my wife up at the airport on time, car looking good as new!

Be sure to re polish the car. Im almost 100% positive all of the things you did have added swirls.

KneeDragr
10-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Be sure to re polish the car. Im almost 100% positive all of the things you did have added swirls.

Its typical GM hard paint, but there are some fine dealer installed swirls and a couple buffer trails already. I need to compound her car at some point, just havent gotten to it. My car needed it much more, so I did it this weekend, its probably 90% now.

FUNX650
10-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Its typical GM hard paint, but there are some fine dealer installed swirls and a couple buffer trails already. I need to compound her car at some point, just havent gotten to it. My car needed it much more, so I did it this weekend, its probably 90% now.
Detailing Quiz
'Vette vs. Volt: Could be declared a no-brainer...
except for the "her car"-connotation?

Bob

KneeDragr
10-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Detailing Quiz

Bob

Well I have 2 cars and this weekend my DD got the treatment ( 2008 CR-V ).

The paint on my Vette is really good, except one spot near the door I brushed against it. I will probably buff that out next weekend.

cardaddy
10-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Now see, I was gonna' say the same thing.

Detailing Quiz

Bob

But then Bob put it into a much clearer, much more precise light (shall we say).

"Her car" says everything there. :buffing:

On another note;
I saw a HD rider today wearing a vest with a patch that made me laugh.
"Beauty is only a light switch away." ;)

Then the other one, not as funny;
"It's only kinky the first time." :rolleyes: