PDA

View Full Version : Removing LSP from Applicator Pads?

The Critic
10-14-2013, 03:10 AM
I have a few applicators and a 4" foam pad that were all used for applying Menzerna Power Lock.

I have tried both Dawn and Simple Green, and neither of them seemed to work very well for cleaning the applicators.

I guess the detergent-resistant ability is a good thing for durability, but I would like to get my applicator pads clean again. Any ideas on what to use?

Thanks.

swanicyouth
10-14-2013, 03:13 AM
There is only one way that works that I have found. Use mineral spirits, followed by IPA. Work both well with your hands, rinse well between. Forget "cleaners", they won't work. You may be able you just get away with IPA. I keep it in a spray bottle.

I usually use a Blackfire Pad cleaner before and after.

ph16
10-14-2013, 04:42 AM
I have the same issue and don't have a good recommendation for cleaning. I typically just apply it with a 3" pad by hand and just discard it when done. I'm actually glad it's hard to be removed from an applicator pad.....makes me think it'll be equally difficult to remove from the truck.

lyodbraun
10-14-2013, 05:24 AM
I've been using dawn power dissolver and it seems to work pretty good.

ski2
10-14-2013, 06:46 AM
I've been using dawn power dissolver and it seems to work pretty good.

+1 for the Dawn Power Dissolver (Walmart $2.83) Even removes DG 501 from my pads.

Mike Phillips
10-14-2013, 07:50 AM
This topic comes up often enough that it deserves an article...

The reason you have a hard time removing LSP's from wax applicator pads is the same reason you like and use an LSP and that's because they are water insoluble.

That is not only will they not wash easily off your car's paint they also won't wash easily out of your wax applicator pads.

Make sense?

Best way though is after you decide upon a cleaner is to squish them with your hands to work the cleaner/detergent/soap "into" the foam and somehow get it to mix with eh "protection ingredients" and emulsify them so they will rinse out.

:)

The Critic
10-14-2013, 08:13 AM
+1 for the Dawn Power Dissolver (Walmart $2.83) Even removes DG 501 from my pads.

Wow, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks.

hardysukito
10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
This topic comes up often enough that it deserves an article...

The reason you have a hard time removing LSP's from wax applicator pads is the same reason you like and use an LSP and that's because they are water insoluble.

That is not only will they not wash easily off your car's paint they also won't wash easily out of your wax applicator pads.

Make sense?

Best way though is after you decide upon a cleaner is to squish them with your hands to work the cleaner/detergent/soap "into" the foam and somehow get it to mix with eh "protection ingredients" and emulsify them so they will rinse out.

:)

i agree with you Mike. I always clean the pads by soaking them in detergent solution. The solution will dissolve the chemicals in the pads. (sorry for bad English)

ski2
10-14-2013, 08:52 AM
As Mike mentioned I do allow the pads to soak in a bucket mixed with APC until ready to clean them. Clean with Power Dissolver then rinse well.