PDA

View Full Version : Please help me. Coatings

HateSwirls
10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I own an 08' black RAV, SS paint and want to coat it.

At first all I was thinking about was Opti-Coat then starting reading about cquartz , if I'm not mistaken it helps prevents scratches , if this is true that would be very helpful, it last two years.
Opti-Coat is permanent but doesn't protect from scratching.

Now I can't make up my mind, hoping someone here knows about both and asking which would be best for my car being its SS paint?

Thanks in advance guys:)

swanicyouth
10-13-2013, 08:19 AM
OC does protect from scratches. Unless they have changed the claims recently.

HateSwirls
10-13-2013, 08:45 AM
OC does protect from scratches. Unless they have changed the claims recently.

So which one would you recommend ?
I'm about to order, that's why I'm asking now :dblthumb2:

CRyan
10-13-2013, 08:49 AM
So which one would you recommend ?
I'm about to order, that's why I'm asking now :dblthumb2:

Really depends on whether you want to reapply sooner rather than much later. A lot of people here like trying different/new things too often to put something on the car like opti-coat.

Vegas Transplant
10-13-2013, 09:00 AM
..asking which would be best for my car being its SS paint?

Thanks in advance guys:)

Brother detailer, it's been a while since I researched 2.0.
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but 2.0 is less than permanent on SS paint systems. Gotta be in service at 11. Will look through Chris' post history later today to find the exact post. Also look at kc's and seech's 2.0/SS threads.

Happy detailing...:buffing:

HateSwirls
10-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but 2.0 is less than permanent on SS paint systems. Gotta be in service at 11. Will look through Chris' post history to find the exact post. Also look at kc's and seech's 2.0/SS threads.

Happy detailing...:buffing:

Thanks a bunch:dblthumb2:

It wouldn't bother me if I had to re-coat every 2-3 years as long as I get the best protection.
Just don't want to have to use a sealant every 6 months.
OC from what I read seems to work well and easy to apply.
Right now I use Griot's Paint Sealant,works fine but only last about 5-6 months which still isn't bad.

Another question.
It says you never have to wax, does it mean it remains shiny?
Sorry for all the questions but I need to know as much as I can about coatings, not from other sites but from here, people I respect and trust.

swanicyouth
10-13-2013, 09:33 AM
If it was me and it was a DD I would use OC. If it was a "special" car, I would use CQ. CQ can be maintained forever with Reload, which is good for many months on its own.

FUNX650
10-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks VT for this reminder!! :props:

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but 2.0 is less than permanent on SS paint systems.

Here's one such posting that addresses SS paint:

Q & A with Dr. G of Optimum:

3.-Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be applied to single stage paints of any age?

Opti-Coat 2.0 was designed for clearcoat paint and it should be applied after the paint defects are removed. We have not done any long term testing with this product on single stage paint.
There are several professional detailers that have applied Opti-Coat to single stage paint after removing all the defects and oxidation with great results. They might be able to provide more information on this application but the main purpose of this product is to protect clearcoat from the elements and premature failure due to over-polishing.

4.-Consider a car with older single stage paint that is badly oxidized and faded and then polished to perfection and brought back to glossy condition. Can Opti-Coat 2.0 lock in the gloss or have any effect stopping the paint from regressing to its faded condition?

Please refer to the previous answer.

And this...IMO...addresses OC's "Scratch-Resistance Issue":

Thank you so much for your work on this innovative product and as always thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in such an insightful manner.

Corey, I appreciate the time you put into testing and educating forum members on how to use and benefit from different automotive appearance products. As a paint chemist, I was always puzzled why people over-polish their car paint and cause the paint to fail prematurely (we all have seen examples of clearcoat failure). Opti-Coat 2.0 is the most effective way to avoid premature failure of clearcoats.

Our research team spent over 4 years developing and testing Opti-Coat before it was released for professional use and another 3 years to develop Opti-Coat 2.0 for consumer use. This coating has better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, and better chemical resistance than factory clears. Therefore the effects of the elements on Opti-Coat 2.0 is far less than factory clears and there will be much less need for polishing once this is applied on top of the existing clear. Even if you do remove Opti-Coat 2.0 by polishing, you can easily replace it by adding another coat.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
David,

------------------------------------------

:)

Bob

HateSwirls
10-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks VT for this reminder!! :props:

Here's one such posting that addresses SS paint:

And this...IMO...addresses OC's "Scratch-Resistance Issue":

Bob

Thanks Bob for posting.
Good reading material right there. :dblthumb2:

Gsrjake
10-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Opti coat 2.0 or C quartz

HateSwirls
10-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks for all of the advice you guys gave me.
From my understanding coatings isn't recommend on SS paints so I'm thinking of going to a sealant.
Right now I'm looking at two brands, WG Paint Sealant and CG'S Jetseal.
I read so many reviews , it seems that WG has the edge over Jetseal.

Question.
For those of you that may have tried both can you tell me which one you prefer?
They cost about the same so that's not a factor, it's which one looks best and last longer?
One thing I like about sealants is you can top it with a wax or glaze which is something that I like.
I'll get this right being you guys are helping me:)

Only sealant I've ever used is Griot's Paint Sealant, good stuff just looking for something that will last longer.

Thanks Geeks:)

ski2
10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Have you looked into Duragloss 105 sealant? Mixed 4 to 1 with DG 601 it's easy to get 6 months of durability.

Mike Phillips
10-14-2013, 08:32 AM
From my understanding coatings isn't recommend on SS paints so I'm thinking of going to a sealant.

The Detailer's Paint Coating is compatible with single stage paints. If fact the first car I used it on had single stage paint.

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67950-detailer-s-paint-coating-single-stage-paint.html)

I use the wheel coating on my black painted wheels.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2095/Detailing_Wheels_Tires_For_Winter_027.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2095/Detailing_Wheels_Tires_For_Winter_035.jpg

FUNX650
10-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I'm thinking of going to a sealant.
Right now I'm looking at two brands, WG Paint Sealant and CG'S Jetseal.

I haven't purchased/used CG's Jetseal.

However:
WGDGPS has never disappointed me!!

I can say the same for:
-Meguiar's 21 2.0
-Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic Jett; and, what's known as Acrylic Jett's fraternal twin: Acrylic Jett Trigger
-and a few others.

Bob

HateSwirls
10-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys.

@Mike

I checked it out after you brought it to my attention and it seems this product may work wonderful on my car.
4oz. But can do several cars it says?
How?:)

I love the fact that you work it into the paint until it disappears then buff off the high spots.