PDA

View Full Version : What is a glaze?

Thejoyofdriving
06-20-2007, 12:16 AM
What is a glaze?

AUdakota
06-20-2007, 01:44 AM
I will use what orangez told me about glazes, its the best way to explain them.

Glazes are used mainly after polishing and before a wax. Most of them contain filler so they hide the swirls that were missed in the polishing step. Most people use a carnauba over glazes.

Think of a glaze as a lotion for the paint after you polish all the crap out.

ScottB
06-20-2007, 06:25 AM
the above comment is spot on, but doesnt necessarily only get used after polishing. Some use it instead of polishing. Just remember the fillers are temporary and most glazes also add additional gloss agents and wetting agents to make paint look amazingly wet. Also remember they have no protection at all and can wear out in atmosphere quite quickly unless covered with a wax (usually) or some sealants.

trhland
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
whats the best glaze out there??and do you have to apply it with an orbatal poilisher?

BILL
06-20-2007, 08:07 AM
whats the best glaze out there??and do you have to apply it with an orbatal poilisher?

MEGS #7 is quite good..........by hand......;)

devst8
06-20-2007, 08:36 AM
X2 with megs 7 by hand

XMT is also good with a PC

I just got my mez glaze which I can't wait to try! I've read too many good things about it

mywifehatesclowns
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I have applied it through low speed orbital 1000 or less RPMS. Should I re-evaluate my decision to use a rotary for glazing?

AUdakota
06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I use a PC with either the blue or white edge pad and I like to do the whole vehicle and than come back and buff it all off.

trhland
06-20-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks guys!!:o ---------------------------------------

Surfer
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
whats the best glaze out there??and do you have to apply it with an orbatal poilisher?RMG and CG EX-Creme Glaze hands down. I apply by machine, CG Glaze rocks.......I have Megs #7 and XMT Glaze and don't like either.

Torsion Tool
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
killr., I've been deleting a glaze after polishing because I use the Klasse twins before waxing. Are you saying that KAIO and KSG can be applied over a glaze? If so, to what advantage? If not, what sealants can be applied over a glaze? Waxes, sure, but this is new to me (I like Old Skool).

TOGWT
06-27-2007, 02:25 AM
What is a glaze?

Glaze:
Glaze is purely an aesthetic product that provides gloss but very little protection; it's often referred to as Show Glaze because glazes tend to create a "wet-look" (jetting) shine they have come to be used by enthusiasts to maximize shine and gloss on concourse show cars, historic and exotic vehicles.

They are also used on a ‘thin’ clear coat (bear in mind that a clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.3 mil (0.0003") of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure) if the clear coat thickness has been reduced by this amount apply a glaze as opposed to using an abrasive polish risking further clear coat reduction

They are formulated with micro-fine abrasives (Kaolin clay) that will burnish the paint (but will not remove surface imperfections) it’s comparative abrasion scale (CAS= 1/10) along with an emulsion of polymers and Carnauba wax that `fills in' small paint surface scratches, abrasions and swirl marks, without removing them. There filling abilities usually dissipate in a matter of days before the surface abrasions become visible again, washing the paint film surface will accelerate this process, using a Carnauba wax as an LSP will help the durability of the glaze somewhat