PDA

View Full Version : Brand new seat leather - What product would you use to protect it?

Pages : [1] 2

CRyan
10-12-2013, 12:18 PM
If you purchased a new car, took the manufacturers protective fabric off the seats yourself, knew you had some type of coated leather, and you wanted to give it the best shot of survival from drying/cracking/creasing/fading for the next 10 years, what product would you put on it that first day to start protecting it with? And why?

So I have spent the better part of my spare time over the past week reading just about every thread on Autogeek and many online articles about leather. I certainly understand fully there is no consensus regarding standard automotive leather care.

What I know:

1. Most automotive leather is coated/painted in some manner by some kind of plastic/vinyl/poly coating - Although some coated leather reacts differently than others with some seats even releasing pigment when cleaned.
2. Most discussions are dedicated to cleaning and resurrecting worn leather.
3. Leather protection (unlike paint protection to a good degree) continues to be clouded in confusion and snake oil and various distinct hardened schools of thought.

I certainly do not expect a consensus in this thread. I just want to know what you would trust to protect brand new seats right now for a brand new car that you plan on keeping for the next 10 years.

FUNX650
10-12-2013, 12:40 PM
LeatherMaster's and LTT Leather Care both have excellent products.

:)

Bob

WantcarPerfect
10-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I agree everyone has a different school of thought on this. I have had leather seats for years it is one of the few absolutes a car must have for me. Over the years I have used almost everything. What I have found to be the most important is to keep them clean. Lexus/Toyota recommends cleaning them with a weak solution of Woolite. I have used several cleaners over the tears depending how dirty the seats are. If just normal dirt I Think Lexol orange bottle is as good as any. I also feel for the price Mothers VLR is as good as any for light cleaning and treating. Most seats have some vynal areas any way. Cleaning and UV protection are the main things for me.

CRyan
10-12-2013, 12:52 PM
LeatherMaster's and LTT Leather Care both have excellent products.

:)

Bob

Of the Leather Masters, what would you use? The Protection Cream or the Leather Barrier? I cannot see that Leather Masters products have UV protection. Is UV not something you would be concerned with?

Of the LTT, would you use the Leatherguard Protector or the Ultra Protect?

CRyan
10-12-2013, 12:53 PM
I agree everyone has a different school of thought on this. I have had leather seats for years it is one of the few absolutes a car must have for me. Over the years I have used almost everything. What I have found to be the most important is to keep them clean. Lexus/Toyota recommends cleaning them with a weak solution of Woolite. I have used several cleaners over the tears depending how dirty the seats are. If just normal dirt I Think Lexol orange bottle is as good as any. I also feel for the price Mothers VLR is as good as any for light cleaning and treating. Most seats have some vynal areas any way. Cleaning and UV protection are the main things for me.

You would use Mothers VLR on new seats for protection?

PA DETAILER
10-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Detailer's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, auto leather cleaner, car leather conditioner, best leather cleaner conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-leather-cleaner-conditioner.html)

i have been using this on my xterra leather seats for months now. PRODUCT WORKS AND IS GREAT. work in with a mf towel/flip and wipe. and the smell is just a bonus.

a review on the product....

Review: Detailer’s Pro Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/39584-review-detailer-s-pro-leather-cleaner-conditioner.html)

swanicyouth
10-12-2013, 05:53 PM
I would first clean the leather, wipe with DI water, then use CarPro's F&L. This product is a true coating, providing a mechanical barrier between you and the leather.

While other products may leave leather looking "nice", this stuff is very durable and adds a layer of protection you can still see a month later.

I've also found topping this with CG's new Leather Serum gives the leather that smooth soft feeling.

That's what I use. Real protection. Like a big condom over my seat.

freddie46
10-12-2013, 08:13 PM
The main thing is to keep it clean. I use GG Interior cleaner with a micro fiber pad to clean and then wipe on some leather care spray from GG. I also wipe off the excess.

goodinblack
10-12-2013, 08:58 PM
That's what I use. Real protection. Like a big condom over my seat.

I wish you would do more reviews.

LOL

:D

swanicyouth
10-13-2013, 06:08 AM
I wish you would do more reviews.

LOL

:D

Always more coming. Gotta go to my sh*ty job ya know.

primo spaghetti
10-13-2013, 07:32 AM
second vote for car pro F&L coating.

jfelbab
10-13-2013, 08:44 AM
+! to Leather Masters Protection Cream.

It is one of the few water-based fluorocarbon protectors on the market that can actually prevent dye transfer from jeans, belts and other dyed items. LTT makes a great protector as well but it's not easy to get here in the states.

I've been using LM for over 20 years and it offers outstanding protection. I buy it in quart sizes. I also use it on my home furnishings. It dries silky smooth to the touch so it doesn't grab and hold dust and grime, it does not add gloss, leaving the leather with a new look and feel. It is also nearly odorless.

LM also makes a very good leather cleaner. I prefer the LM Strong Leather Cleaner which I typically dilute 50/50 with warm water.

I clean my automotive leather quarterly and reapply LMPC. Weekly, I vacuum and wipe down the leather with Meguiar's QID which rehydrates the leather and leaves UV protection.

lekejian
10-13-2013, 08:47 AM
just bought white sofa,applied on leather master cream protection and leather barrier,so far so good

wdmaccord
10-13-2013, 11:36 AM
brand new: I would clean it with CG Leather Cleaner diluted 1:6 every 3-6 months (maybe 1-2 months in the summer months on the areas that your skin touches) followed by 303 Aerospace Protectant.

After a couple years, then maybe start using a conditioner with UV protection if it looks dry. With the coated leather, there is not much reason to use a conditioner on it when it is new. Just UV protect it and that will start you on the right foot.

My 2 cents.

hamlyn
10-13-2013, 12:12 PM
CRyan,

you haven't said what car you bought, and what type of leather is in it. Did you have leather grade options, and did you upgrade to premium leather?
It's easier to make care and product recommendations if people knew what type of leather you have, and what coating, if any, the leather has.