PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Acura Integra

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pghpunkid
10-12-2013, 12:10 AM
So, a bit of an introduction for myself, I am a paint newbie. I know a lot of the methods (in theory) of paint and detailing with DD's, but knew better than to touch a DD myself.

So after doing some google searching on how to correct single stage oxidation, I found what appeared to be an older episode on Powerblock on how to do it, with one of the Auto Geek guys on there showing the technique off.

Using the Porter Cable 7424 and few pads and chemicals he turned a oxidized truck into perfection! I felt this needed a 'its so easy anyone can do it' approach. This is where this topic comes in!

This was my 1996 Acura Integra as of about noon Friday..

http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1900.JPG
http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1902.JPG
http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1904.JPG
http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1905.JPG
http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1906.JPG
http://www.pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1908.JPG

As you can see, I have not treated this reliable car as well as it has treated me. But im changing that.

Due to budget constrains (can't justify $300+ for the 7424 for my first attempt) I picked up the Harbor Freight Multispeed DA Polisher, and a few 5$ pads, just like the video showed. Same cut and polish pads (or close enough in my mind). Picked up some Meguiars (sp?) Swirl Remover and Polish, and a Mother Claybar kit. Wasn't sure on the claybar part, but the guy did it in the video! So I did it.

Clay barred the entire car after I got home with all my goodies, and started going at it. Well into the dark with little to poor light (Halogen.. I don't have any fluorescent portables :cry:) and did what I could.

After claybar..
http://pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1913.JPG

After Swirl Remover:
http://pghpunkid.com/img/IMG_1914.JPG

The whole front clip and driver side has been done with swirl remover, now just waiting for daylight to inspect, and correct if necessary. I figured id share this with people so those who haven't done it can see what my results were!

I also heard on one of the other videos I saw, was not to do this to metallic, because of the depth of flakes, being single stage and all. There were 2 issues with this. 1. I did not know that this was metallic, and 2. After the fact it seems it would not count against me because they were on a lighter color car and said it would make it darker.. The way I see it this can only make it prettier! :xyxthumbs:

Be back tomorrow with better pictures.

EDIT: And in the right spot.. woops. Ill move these to the gallery in the morning.

hernandez.art13
10-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Sorry: did you seal all your hard work? Just wondering

I didn't catch it in your read ^

davidg
10-12-2013, 12:33 AM
:dblthumb2:

Great start. You get the best/worst of everything right there. It's black, which is the most rewarding. And you are starting on a totally hammered car, so bringing it back is going to be awesome alone.

Clay bar was a good call. It's a pretty important step.

quiksilver_ben3
10-12-2013, 12:39 AM
Cool! I have a 96 integra SE with about 56,000 on the odo.

Pghpunkid
10-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Sorry: did you seal all your hard work? Just wondering

This is going to show my low skill level, but what exactly do you mean by seal? Wax? Polish? Id love to know so I can take care of that.

And you are starting on a totally hammered car, so bringing it back is going to be awesome alone.

Clay bar was a good call. It's a pretty important step.
Thats what I was thinking. I was initially planning on doing paint prep for a new paint job, but figured this was an awesome time to try this out.

They didn't mention it in the videos, but they did do it. Did a bunch of look up about claybars before jumping in. Glad to know I did at least one part right so far! :bananas:

davidg
10-12-2013, 12:49 AM
This is going to show my low skill level, but what exactly do you mean by seal? Wax? Polish? Id love to know so I can take care of that.

When you are finished you need to cover your work! Wax doesn't last as long as sealant (even nu-finish at the parts store is better than nothing, some people don't believe it's bad at all actually) You can do the nu-finish and then apply a wax over it for more depth in color reflection and more protection.

Also, you really need to look up 2 bucket wash. You're gonna put in a ton of time buffing this car out, and the little things will keep it looking fresh and swirl free. Also pick up some Guzzler towels from AG so you can dry it properly.

Check out the AMMO NYC youtube channel for some great info. Larry is a bit crazy, but he's fun to watch and thorough in his descriptions.

I buffed my DD 2 years ago, and hit it with a mild polish every 6-8 months to remove anything that's happened to it.
Polish:Product you are using to remove your oxidation and swirls
Sealant:Long lasting protection that chemically bonds to the paint
Wax:Rides over the top of paint (or sealant) to provide protection, depth & warmth to the paint color

hernandez.art13
10-12-2013, 12:51 AM
No worries ^ we've all been there.

What I meant was, did you you wax it.

Pghpunkid
10-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Cool! I have a 96 integra SE with about 56,000 on the odo.

Nice! I picked mine up 2 years ago with like 105k miles, its at 130-sh. Its an RS too :D

No worries ^ we've all been there.

What I meant was, did you you wax it.

Not yet, I am still working on it. Ran out of light, and still need to polish a lot of it. I have Turtle Wax, but will get to that tomorrow.

When you are finished you need to cover your work! Wax doesn't last as long as sealant (even nu-finish at the parts store is better than nothing, some people don't believe it's bad at all actually) You can do the nu-finish and then apply a wax over it for more depth in color reflection and more protection.

Also, you really need to look up 2 bucket wash. You're gonna put in a ton of time buffing this car out, and the little things will keep it looking fresh and swirl free. Also pick up some Guzzler towels from AG so you can dry it properly.

Check out the AMMO NYC youtube channel for some great info. Larry is a bit crazy, but he's fun to watch and thorough in his descriptions.

Wax:Rides over the top of paint (or sealant) to provide protection, depth & warmth to the paint color

Thats good to know! Ill do the Nu-Finish for sure. Ive used it in the past to hide problem paint.

Ive seen AMMO NYC on youtube, especially the Ferrari 288 GTO video. He is a bit out there but hes passionate about his art. Definitely will revisit his channel when I get more time.

Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement so far guys, it really means a lot to me. I had no clue about any of this a week ago and jumped in without any real training. Nice to know im moving in the right direction!

hernandez.art13
10-12-2013, 01:26 AM
If your going to go OTC (over the counter)

IMO go with Meguiar's

Ultimate Wax (sealant)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Wow what a turnaround! Any pictures of the clay bar?

kaiten408
10-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the forums and nice Integra, looks like an LS if i'm not mistaken. My first car was a 1994 Integra GS-R with black paint that looked very similar to yours.

Although, I don't believe they had single stage paint. That should be clearcoated paint. Not sure if you were under the misconception that it is single stage paint.

Either way, great job and welcome to your new addiction.

tnecniv
10-12-2013, 10:42 AM
I can't wait to see the results! I have a Taffeta White 2000 GSR Sedan. I have all the tools to correct the paint just no access to power due to living in an apartment. Good luck!

Pghpunkid
10-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Wow what a turnaround! Any pictures of the clay bar?

Unfortunately no. I used up 80 grams of Claybar on the car so far. Half the kit.

Welcome to the forums and nice Integra, looks like an LS if i'm not mistaken. My first car was a 1994 Integra GS-R with black paint that looked very similar to yours.

Although, I don't believe they had single stage paint. That should be clearcoated paint. Not sure if you were under the misconception that it is single stage paint.

Either way, great job and welcome to your new addiction.

It an RS, which is pretty much is an LS, but without a lot of the features like Power Doors, Sunroof, etc. Barebones, and lighter than the rest of the Integras.

Hehehe, I hope i don't go broke on this!

I can't wait to see the results! I have a Taffeta White 2000 GSR Sedan. I have all the tools to correct the paint just no access to power due to living in an apartment. Good luck!

Thanks! Me too! I did a lot of it in the dark and I haven't even seen it in daylight yet! Just woke up.. Back to work I go!

Brody
10-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I feel like this is turning into "Honda enthusiasts assemble" or something like that. Lol. I have a 1998 GsR hatch back. Frost white, just finished up a two step on it with m105 and m205, then topped it with BFWD. Extremely pleased with how it came out. From the looks of it, yours is going to turn out real well too. Also, unless it was repainted, it should be basecoat clearcoat, not single stage; although from the looks of your pad, it is indeed single stage. Good luck with it, always fun to bring something that bad to start with back.

tnecniv
10-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Hopefully that is just oxidation and not Clear Coat Failure!