PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Advice

Caldon
10-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I have a new 2012 car with a silver metallic finish. It's in excellent shape -- just some surface particles from being stored outside at the dealership. I assume when the car was originally prepped there was some wax put on, but I'm not sure. So, my plan is to wash the car lightly with a degreaser detergent (Dawn), and follow that with Opti-coat for the long haul. After that I thought I'd apply something to produce a deep shine, but I'm confused as to what that should be. Also, going forward, since this car will likely be a weekend driver, would periodic waterless washes be the best maintenance program?

Regarding the leather interior, is it premature to put leather conditioner on the seats and dash?

Thanks.

Sicoupe
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Welcome CALDON! Have any pics?

mwoolfso
10-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Silver does a good job of hiding imperfections. So you have that going for you if your intention is to spend as little time as possible preparing the surfaces for opti-coat.

In between the Dawn and Opt-coat steps you probably should decontaminate, clay and inspect the pain for swirls. Polishing is dependent on your preferences and most people will go "all the way" and do it "right" the first time.

ski2
10-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Before applying the OptiCoat make sure you remove everything from the surface. Dawn will not do it. Need to either use an IPA wipe or something like DP Pre Coating polish or DG Squeaky Clean.

Modern leathers are coated so conditioning with any heavy oils or creams really just attracts dirt. Keep it clean and put on something like Optimum Protectant Plus (can be used on the vinyl also) every 3 or 4 months which has no heavy oils, but does have UV protection. Then every now and then wipe down with a damp cloth and allow to air dry or even mist with distilled water and allow to air dry to hydrate the leather. Really simple process and works great--my 7 year old leather is like new.
Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html)

hernandez.art13
10-11-2013, 08:36 PM
You could give Optimum a call. They are really friendly. I called them about their car soap. I also asked them about my opti coat.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Welcome to AGO.

Old Tiger
10-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Silver does a good job of hiding imperfections. So you have that going for you if your intention is to spend as little time as possible preparing the surfaces for opti-coat.

In between the Dawn and Opt-coat steps you probably should decontaminate, clay and inspect the pain for swirls. Polishing is dependent on your preferences and most people will go "all the way" and do it "right" the first time.

This is sound advice. Prep and polish before coating. It is too late after coating is applied!
I recommend Iron X and clay prep before polishing!

vet
10-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Welcome!

I can't add anything to what the previous people have said. And congrats on the new ride!

Caldon
10-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks to all for your replies.
Here's the new ride:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn221/dlchasen/photo15copy3.jpg (http://s305.photobucket.com/user/dlchasen/media/photo15copy3.jpg.html)

Mike Phillips
10-14-2013, 08:10 AM
Regarding the leather interior, is it premature to put leather conditioner on the seats and dash?

Thanks.

I'd find a product you like and start right a way on doing regular maintenance...

This is especially true for anyone with any car that has ANY exterior black plastic trim.

:dblthumb2: