PDA

View Full Version : Step Down Transformer/ AVR for GG6

gearguru
10-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Hello All,

I was all set to get a 1500W AVR for my GG6 but was told by an electrical supplier to get a 3000W as wattage "allowance" should be x3.

For those who use an AVR or step down transformer, what W value are you using? Not sure if they are concerned or just want to sell a higher priced item.

Many thanks,
Dino

FUNX650
10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello All,

I was all set to get a 1500W AVR for my GG6 but was told by an electrical supplier to get a 3000W as wattage "allowance" should be x3.

For those who use an AVR or step down transformer, what W value are you using? Not sure if they are concerned or just want to sell a higher priced item.

Many thanks,
Dino
What's the total wattage of your GG6? (W = Amps X Volts)

Usually 2X is considered an allowable wattage-allowance.
But you have to figure that this unit's motor-start-up demand is going to be quite high.
Best to add in at least 25% more for that demand.

Most power tools will need at least a 2000W step-down transformer.
A 3000W may be fine for safe operation of your GG6 (cost is exponentially higher, to say the least!!).
But sometimes, if you go too high, it may have an adverse affect on the efficient operation of a power tool.

I'm sure the guys at the supply house are just wanting you to be safe...as well as your power tool "protected"...
and not out to gouge you.

:)

Bob

jeof1000
10-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Having a high wattage avr or transformer wont effect the efficiency of your power tools, it only means that it has a high capacity, you can run more power tools at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online