PDA

View Full Version : Going to start a detail job on my truck..

BoostN
10-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Hello,

New here. I have a 2011 Black Chevy truck. Now, ever since it was new the paint has been in horrible shape. When I purchased it, I made the dealer aware of how bad the paint was. And of course, I let them "wax" it. Never was any better.

Now, 2 years later it hasn't gotten any better. I'm looking for advice on getting this thing right.

I've attached a picture of the current situation. Keep it might this was just a spray off as I had just drove through a rainstorm, but you get the idea.

Now, I've read the wolfgang swirl remover twins are a great option with the PC DA polisher. I actually just purchased that package from the Autogeek store and going to be looking for information on best practices, etc..

ken tuep
10-10-2013, 06:52 AM
There is tons of information on this site. Or youtube. Watch a few videos, they have always helped me since I'm a visual learner.

Then narrow down to more specific questions if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

BoostN
10-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks!

I got started this evening. Washed, clayed and then started with the wolfgang kit I purchased. The swirl remover did a great job, however I feel it just didn't cut enough for the condition my paint was in. I have a light as I worked that worked well to pick them up. It was a great difference from before and after but I would like the perfect finish. I went ahead and did the finishing polish with the white pad and it really brought the color out..

I can't wait to put it out in the sun tomorrow to really see how it looks. Then I'll decide on step 3 (paint sealant).

davidg
10-12-2013, 01:23 AM
I feel it just didn't cut enough for the condition my paint was in.(paint sealant).

It's not uncommon with a DA like the PC to have to rework an area two or three times to get it perfect. Typically, you should find an average panel that represents the majority of your paint (usually not the lower hood or front bumper, as in most cars these tend to need more work than doors and fenders, ect) and get that spot perfect! What you are doing is a test spot and this will let you know how many "passes" you need to make for most of the car to be right. If you are going up-down, left-right, and back to up-down, you are doing the "cross hatch" method. Every time the product flashes you have completed one pass. Not three,or more, like it would seem. This is where your product, machine, and clear coat hardness come into play. You can get amazing results with a PC, but it is time consuming. Just keep at it and let us know how she comes out. :xyxthumbs:

hernandez.art13
10-12-2013, 01:37 AM
Get a cup of water (inconspicuous) and pour it (inconspicuous place) on your paint.

This can give you a clue on final results...

Of course, I mentioned.

(Inconspicuous)

BoostN
10-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Well I did make multiple passes for some areas as I checked with my light. Overall I'm happy.. here are some shots pre sealant.

Ignore the fly.. :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Challynger
10-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Well I did make multiple passes for some areas as I checked with my light. Overall I'm happy.. here are some shots pre sealant.

Ignore the fly.. :D

Lookin Good!!! :dblthumb2:

jsgntulok
10-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Overall you feel just happy? From your photos, you should feel ECSTATIC! Your truck looks great.

BoostN
10-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you! The final sealent is drying right now

BoostN
10-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Put the final step, It's REALLY smooth now. Gives it that finishing touch. I'm pretty happy so far! I can tell in the curved surfaces where my pad didn't set flat it is not as good but I took that in consideration when doing it trying to move it within those areas.

For you pros, do you usually do those by hand or a smaller pad?

Sicoupe
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Looks great BOOST!

BoostN
10-22-2013, 02:05 AM
Any suggestion for removing dust without a full wash? Quick detailer and a good microfiber towel ok?

I'm still really bothered by a few spots in the paint. The swirling is still present pretty noticeable on one fender and the hood middle part area. Possible something with more cut that the wolfgang twins? I'm going to try and get a picture but it's hard to catch it.

hernandez.art13
10-22-2013, 02:18 AM
How much cut do the Wolfgang twins have vs the Meg's twins? (105,205)

Just wondering...

I also wonder how much do different machines and pads come into factor on your specific paint?

Again just wondering

BoostN
10-22-2013, 03:08 AM
How much cut do the Wolfgang twins have vs the Meg's twins? (105,205)

Just wondering...

I also wonder how much do different machines and pads come into factor on your specific paint?

Again just wondering

Valid questions I wish I could answer.. :(

I'm a newbie to this process so my input would be just speculation.