PDA

View Full Version : How to remove streaks from OCW and which spray wax doesn't streak?

Pages : [1] 2

Harry Da Hamster
10-10-2013, 01:45 AM
So i finally had the chance to work on the car today. After four hours of washing and cleaning i found out the hard way that Optimum Car Wax streaks like crazy on my black paint. I followed the following quote:

Problems with OCW are usually due to surface temp and quantity applied. Usually the culprit is too much product...as we are used to applying paste or liquids that need a flash time. If you will prime your MF, spread OCW quickly over the panel, then flip the towel and lightly buff till gone - it will not streak. If you spray it directly on the panel, or don't move quick enough on a hot panel, that's your trouble.

So as the title says:

How can i remove these streaks? Would i need to polish?

And which spray wax does not streak?

arj
10-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Try to spray a bit of OCW on the streaks and try to buff them off. It's just a spray wax so polishing won't be necessary to remove the streaks. The strongest you need to go is probably wash the area with shampoo and some APC if required.

jamesboyy
10-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Dg aw and megs ulitimate quik wax dont streak as for your wax marks just wash the car again and if sax marks still present then strip all of the lsp off ...good luck

conthedon
10-10-2013, 02:14 AM
Streaks can happen if temp on panel is warm, or over applied, or trying to cover a large area and it dries before you wipe. I would recommend using an applicator to spray ocw on and then apply, I use meguiars even coat white mf applicators. Anyway, do not polish, you can use a spray bottle filled with water and mist/spray the area or panel and then wipe/buff, do that until it evens out and you no longer see streaks. The purpose is to help spread ocw from the spots where its overapplied/dried.

kaiten408
10-10-2013, 10:10 AM
What kind of MF towels are you using? Are you using the same one for buffing and drying?

I use Sonax High Speed Wax with a long pile MF towel. I spray on and wipe off with one towel, then dry with another.

swanicyouth
10-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I have done a lot of testing with OCW and different surfaces. My conclusion is this:

OCW is a stand alone wax. It's not a booster and will not layer over anything well accept OCW (maybe OptiSeal? I don't own that). OCW needs to be applied to clean "nude" paint. If applied to clean "nude" paint, it's as easy to apply as any QD, and won't streak even in direct sun or no matter how much you apply.

I'm using this as my lone LSP on my GF's dark car. I apply tons of it, in direct sun, no streaking - looks perfect. It's as easy as Optimum Instant Detailer.

When I use it on a car that has another LSP, I get streaks, smears, and "wax holograms".

Did you apply it to clean paint?

If your using it as a "booster", try Aquawax or Prima Hydro.

FUNX650
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm always surprised at the ease of using waffle-weave MF-towels
with any assortment of Spray Waxes/QD's, and their liquid-ilk.

I also appreciate the "final wipe's" appearance that's been performed with
different, albeit slightly-longer-napped, "plusher" (if you will) MF-towels...
for the: pièce de résistance!

:)

Bob

GTPpilot
10-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Strange. I fine OCW extremely user friendly. No streaks, but I only use
it in the shade...garage mostly. I just did the winter prep on 2 family vehicles consisting of 2 coats of another brand of sealant and then topped with OCW.
No problem. I can't wait to get some Optimum Spray Detailer. Just have to use up a bunch of other stuff first.

Gsrjake
10-10-2013, 03:38 PM
you're not using it properly, dont use it in the sun(duh) or on hot panels. Like said, a little goes a long way. OCW is amazing and I love it for wash and wax's.

Harry Da Hamster
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
you're not using it properly, dont use it in the sun(duh) or on hot panels. Like said, a little goes a long way. OCW is amazing and I love it for wash and wax's.
It wasn't used in the sun or on a hot panel. The vehicle was washed and waxed from 6am-10am on a cold vehicle in a covered garage.

I had a gallon of the stuff. Used about 3/4. I am very familiar how to use the product. This is the first time i'm using it on a black vehicle. I've read complaints about OCW streaking.

Kacz
10-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I can't speak for the product you're using, but have used other spray waxes or boosters.

So far D156 is at the top for the reasons below.

I recently bought a gallon of D156 and all I can say is wow!! The price, smell, ease of use and protection added is fantastic. Absolutely no streaking on a hot panel either (not direct sun).

I don't know how long D156 lasts, but the beading is nice...haven't tested the sheeting yet.

-----Haven't used it in direct sunlight on a hot panel yet.

Gsrjake
10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
It wasn't used in the sun or on a hot panel. The vehicle was washed and waxed from 6am-10am on a cold vehicle in a covered garage.

I had a gallon of the stuff. Used about 3/4. I am very familiar how to use the product. This is the first time i'm using it on a black vehicle. I've read complaints about OCW streaking.

Might have just been the car then, I've had the same issue but wasn't too serious

KillaCam
10-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Confused why people use OCW when optimum makes an easier product that probably lasts longer. Opti seal.

Vegas Transplant
10-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Confused why people use OCW when optimum makes an easier product that probably lasts longer. Opti seal.

While both are excellent products, OOS on certain colors lacks the warmth and depth as that of OCW. My better half can discern the LSP when interchanging these two products. Seems she has acquired a detailers eye.

freddie46
10-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Try GG Spray On Wax. Never streaked on me.