PDA

View Full Version : Clay

Pages : [1] 2

Irishwoodchuck
10-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Just bought a black 2011 Camry and am new to claying and looking for some advice as well as product recommendations. I would really like that shiny showroom finish. I do not want to do it wrong and wreck the paint.

What type of clay?
How often to re clay?
How to Clay the process?
Do you use any other products after you use the rubbing compound?

VP Mark
10-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Forget clay. Get the nanoskin decontamination sponge combo pack AG sells and never have to clay again. I clay my personal vehicle every 3-6 months, depending on how it feels. As far as the process, spray clay lubricant, run sponge over a section at a time, wipe dry with microfiber. Repeat as need until you don't feel any contaminants on paint.

hernandez.art13
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM
:iagree:

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-combo.html

cleanmycorolla
10-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Just bought a black 2011 Camry and am new to claying and looking for some advice as well as product recommendations. I would really like that shiny showroom finish. I do not want to do it wrong and wreck the paint.

What type of clay?
How often to re clay?
How to Clay the process?

First thing I'd do is read up a lot, then do work. If you're thinking of using "rubbing compound" then I suggest really reading mikes threads and learning how to detail from start to finish.

thebamboo23
10-09-2013, 09:45 PM
it amazes me that there is so soooo muchhh info on everrythhinnggg you need to know about clay on the internet, yet ppl still ask.. there are probably over 1000 threads online from various detailing forums and youtube videos to explain this.. crazy lol

Gsrjake
10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
adams clay bar, its new, cheap, you can get 4 pieces out of it and its really sticky and can take on any job.

Pureshine
10-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Saver your self money get the NANOSKIN Autoscrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt. faster than clay and if you drop it your not out $25 and will save you lots of time. You can do up to 45 cars with it.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-10-2013, 01:29 AM

What type of clay?
How often to re clay?
How to Clay the process?

Pick up one of Mike's books and read through it. There is so much valueable information in it to help you get a good understanding on how to properly execute each step of the detailing process.

Autogeek Gear (http://www.autogeek.net/autogeekgear1.html)

Welcome to AGO. :)

KS_Detailing
10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
a bit off topic but does anyone know where you can buy clay in bulk?

VP Mark
10-10-2013, 07:20 AM
a bit off topic but does anyone know where you can buy clay in bulk?

Maybe Autogeek? :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

KS_Detailing
10-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Maybe Autogeek? :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

I guess I could buy a few bars at once but was hoping to find more in bulk

cleanmycorolla
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I guess I could buy a few bars at once but was hoping to find more in bulk

AG has it by the pound on the store.

VP Mark
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
AG has it by the pound on the store.

Yep, this is what I was referring to also.

Irishwoodchuck
10-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I went with the DP clay kit and read up on it a but. But I still have a question.

The Process as I understand it is that you get the car clean as you normally would. Then Dry it as normal, once cool and dry then you start working the clay in small sections of the vehicle at a time until it is like glass until you have completed the whole vehicle. My question is after you have done this do you then re apply your rubbing compound before you put the paint seal on?

Ben

Lexi65
10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Forget clay. Get the nanoskin decontamination sponge combo pack AG sells and never have to clay again. I clay my personal vehicle every 3-6 months, depending on how it feels. As far as the process, spray clay lubricant, run sponge over a section at a time, wipe dry with microfiber. Repeat as need until you don't feel any contaminants on paint.

Be sure to wash vehicle after claying. :buffing: